Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Spider-Man 2 - Extended Edition" due in late April

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Spider-Man 2 - Extended Edition" due in late April

According to DavisDVD, the long-rumored extended cut of Spider-Man 2 will be released in late April, shortly before the theatrical release of Spider-Man 3. Also, the FX network will air it on Wednesday, January 2, 2007 at 7 PM EST/PST, along with a sneak peek at the next film.

--THX

Last edited by CertifiedTHX; 02-05-07 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
cool! can't wait for that super duper boxset with that one.

edit: they better mean extended as in having more than 10 mins added in.
Old 12-19-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Didn't Raimi say it was only a couple of shots and some FX tweeks?

So long ago.....
Old 12-19-06, 10:57 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring it on. I just double-dipped for that "Origins" bonus DVD (well, kind of...), but I'll be waiting with an open wallet for any more Spider-Man DVDs, at least those pertaining to the films. Of course the '70s live-action series would be nice, but that's off-topic.
Old 12-20-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't Raimi say it was only a couple of shots and some FX tweeks?

So long ago.....
Yeah I remember that, too. He said something about how there would be no director's cut/extended edition as everything he filmed was up onscreen.
Old 12-20-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the version with purported 12 extra seconds of footage?
Old 12-20-06, 12:15 AM

did Spider-man 1 have an extended edition??
I know they had dift. including the deluxe & Super-bit, but I thought they did not add any time to the actual movie..
Old 12-20-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

from a 2004 interview...

Question: SAM, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO SEE ON THE DVD?

Answer: There's not a lot that didn't make it in the final cut just like the last time. Pretty much what we had planned ended up in the picture. Now, 'There's ten seconds here that was a nice moment, lets trim that up to keep the pace going. This is interesting, but it turns out that that information in this particular scene is clear. We thought that maybe it wouldn't be clear, but we had this line here. It turns out the visual which we weren't thinking about when we made the script made it clear. So it seems redundant. Lets cut this out.' That's pretty much the type of things that were cut out.

Question: IS THERE A JK SCENE THAT GOT CUT OUT?

Answer: You know what, yes. There's a JK scene. I don't want to tell you. It's a surprise.

Question: THAT'LL BE ON THE DVD?

Answer: I think that Sony is planning to put it on the DVD later. I think that they're thinking is that they might do a 2.5 version. I think that they're thinking is that once the dad has spent the money to take the family to the movies, and then once the dad has bought the kid the DVD, they can still smell a few more bucks from the dad's pocket. The kid will say, 'Hey dad, I've got to buy the new one.' 'Didn't I take you to the movie and buy you the DVD already?' 'Yeah, but there's a new five minutes on this one.' I think that's what they're planning.

Question: IS THERE ONE VERSION OF 'SPIDER-MAN' FOR WORLDWIDE RELEASE?

Answer: Yes. There's only version of the movie that I'm aware of [Laughs]. Yeah.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/spider2.php
Old 12-20-06, 12:56 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm I'll probably stick to the version I have now
Old 12-20-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh. I'm tired of playing the 'extended directors cut version' game with the damn studios. If they can't get the DVD right the first time, fuck'em. My moneys too tight to double-dip.
Old 12-20-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Bring it on. I just double-dipped for that "Origins" bonus DVD (well, kind of...), but I'll be waiting with an open wallet for any more Spider-Man DVDs, at least those pertaining to the films. Of course the '70s live-action series would be nice, but that's off-topic.
How is that Origins DVD, is it worth it?
Old 12-20-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some reason I can't imagine the extended version being better. The theatrical version is perfect as it is.
Old 12-20-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And this is why I don't currently have this movie in my collection. All I have to say is, "It's about time."
Old 12-20-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's alright - I'll stick with my Superbit.
Old 12-20-06, 12:48 PM

you will be able to make a judgement call on the new cut when it airs on tv before getting the dvd.

Jacob
Old 12-20-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Meh. I'm tired of playing the 'extended directors cut version' game with the damn studios. If they can't get the DVD right the first time, fuck'em. My moneys too tight to double-dip.
I'm with you. I can barely afford movies the first time around -- as far as I'm concerned, what I don't know won't hurt me. The only time I ignored this self-imposed rule is with the LotR trilogy, where the extra content actually further developed the characters/story.
Old 12-20-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I'm with you. I can barely afford movies the first time around -- as far as I'm concerned, what I don't know won't hurt me. The only time I ignored this self-imposed rule is with the LotR trilogy, where the extra content actually further developed the characters/story.
Yep. What turned me off were the King Kong and Narnia EE's. Got both when they first came out because I really wanted to see them, and they seemed pretty packed with goodies. But nooooo...

Really would like the see the new extras, but not willing to shell out another $30 for films it turned out I was kinda 'meh' about.
Old 12-20-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting, and I wonder if that means a BD release of this will be right around the corner as well?? This could be the first big thing to hit for them in that realm.
Old 12-20-06, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB
you will be able to make a judgement call on the new cut when it airs on tv before getting the dvd.

Jacob
cropped, 2 channel stereo sound, and commercials - ew, I can't wait
Old 12-20-06, 02:38 PM

there is always tivo.
has fx network ever shown a movie in the widescreen format? they do that for this release.

Jacob
Old 12-20-06, 02:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB
there is always tivo.
has fx network ever shown a movie in the widescreen format? they do that for this release.

Jacob
duh - it's called foolscreen for a reason.
Old 12-20-06, 02:48 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by joltman
How is that Origins DVD, is it worth it?
I like it, but the only thing that has anything to do with the films is the Spider-Man 3 teaser trailer. I say I "kind of" double-dipped because I returned the Spider-Man 2 DVD, since it was individually sealed. I'm also a big Spider-Man fan, short of collecting all the comics and figures, that is.

I really like what Raimi said about what Sony was planning -- very true. Still, I don't mind the double dip, although it might be worth watching on TV or renting (if anybody's gonna have it available) just to see if the extra footage is anything to get excited about. Of course I have to imagine they'll include some other bonus material, so all in all I'm guessing it will be worth picking up.
Old 12-20-06, 02:51 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by gijon213
And this is why I don't currently have this movie in my collection. All I have to say is, "It's about time."
Yeah, but you'd have looked pretty foolish if "Spider-Man 2.5" had never materialized. Of course you'd have been able to pick up Spider-Man 2 for $9.99 at WAL-MART, so the joke might have been on us.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 12-20-06 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Yeah, but you'd have looked pretty foolish if "Spider-Man 2.5" had never materialized. Of course you'd have been able to pick up Spider-Man 2 for $9.99 at WAL-MART, so the joke might have been on us.
True, true, and I have been asked why I didn't have that title. Also, I wouldn't have a nifty slip-cover. But it is the same reason I don't have Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, PotCMC, and the reasons I didn't have King Kong or CoN until recently. You know that they are coming out with a newer, better, gooder, superer, whatever edition when they release the next in the series.
Old 12-20-06, 03:37 PM

I know about widescreen and fullscreen. I don;t need the lecture.
the point is that you will be able to watch it for free on tv before the dvd is released.
then you can judge for yourself.

Jacob

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.