Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Returning to 2-D Animation Only, Report Says

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...report_1017050

John Lasseter and Ed Catmull are planning to return the Walt Disney Co.'s studios in Burbank to its roots as a "traditional" (hand-drawn) animation company exclusively, while Pixar will continue to turn out computer-animated (CG) features, Disney watcher Jim Hill reported on his website www.jimhillmedia.com today (Tuesday).

In doing so, Lasseter, the chief creative officer for Disney Animation, and Catmull, the unit's president, will be reversing Disney's efforts over the past three years to, in Hill's words, "retrain that studio's staff as well as to change Disney Feature Animation into a start-of-the-art CG operation." Hill observed that the plan has not yet been "entirely embraced" by Disney CEO Robert Iger. One result of the about-face, Hill noted, has been the cancellation of Disney's plans to produce the computer-animated American Dog, a movie conceived and supervised by Chris Sanders, who ironically was responsible for Disney's last big hand-drawn hit, Lilo and Stitch.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hi...rican-dog.aspx

19/12/2006
It is actually the story that is most important to a successful animated feature and that is why the Disney Studios have faltered since The Lion King (IMHO).

Chris
Old 12-19-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The headline is a bit confusing, since Pixar is a part of Disney now. It makes it sound like they would be abandoning CG animation.
Old 12-19-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Pixar will headline CG Animation.

Disney returns to traditional Animation.

Sounds good to me.
Old 12-19-06, 02:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll

It is actually the story that is most important to a successful animated feature and that is why the Disney Studios have faltered since The Lion King (IMHO).

Chris
I agree, concentrate on story, concentrate less on vocal casting... get a hint, I read somewhere that kids couldn't care less who was voicing in animated films, it's totally pandering to adults.
Old 12-19-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Pixar will headline CG Animation.

Disney returns to traditional Animation.

Sounds good to me.
Same here. Now if Disney can come up with some good story lines.... heh.
Old 12-19-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
'Cept they *fired* all their great hand-drawing artists and animators when they shut down the whole thing--incredibly stupidly--a few years back, closing their doors for the first time in 50 years.

Sure, they can hire fresh meat. But the historical greatness has been severed. They fucked it up good in the name of "new & improved" and turned their back on the one thing that should have mattered.
Old 12-19-06, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast
'Cept they *fired* all their great hand-drawing artists and animators when they shut down the whole thing--incredibly stupidly--a few years back, closing their doors for the first time in 50 years.

Sure, they can hire fresh meat. But the historical greatness has been severed. They fucked it up good in the name of "new & improved" and turned their back on the one thing that should have mattered.
Hopefully the name 'Lasseter' will bring them back!

Chris
Old 12-19-06, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more Giles.
Old 12-19-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
And here I though traditional animation was dead - glad I was wrong and hopefully they can recapture some of their past glory.
Old 12-19-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast

I agree.

You should see the "animation" area at MGM studios. Last time I was there it was going to be turned into offices where before it was filled with animators at their desks working on projects like Lilo and Stitch and Mulan.
Old 12-19-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey Disney, while you're at it, hire out some Studio Ghibli artists and writers as well.
Old 12-19-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After the string of CGI duds this year (The Wild, Open Season, Monster House, Hoodwinked), I'm not surprised to see Disney go back to doing what they do best.

Here's an idea that'd surely make a buck, how about a Pirates of the Caribbean animated film? Maybe tell the childhood adventures of Jack Sparrow.
Old 12-19-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about hiring some talented writers/directors??? There's a good direction to start with.
Old 12-19-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
April is about four months away..

After the way they pissed on the Orlando studio, i'll believe this when I see it.
Old 12-20-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I agree, concentrate on story, concentrate less on vocal casting... get a hint, I read somewhere that kids couldn't care less who was voicing in animated films, it's totally pandering to adults.
We are talking about Disney. Dreamworks is the company that puts the actors names larger than the movie titles on their posters. Other than Robin Williams in Aladdin(in 93) when has Disney been guilty of this in the past 15 years?

The movie followed by the biggest stars:

Home on the Range: Rosanne, Cuba Gooding Jr.
Brother Bear: Joaquin Phoenix
Treasure Planet = David Hyde Pierce, Martin Short
Lilo & Stitch: Ving Rhames, Tia Carerra
Atlantis: Michael J. Fox
Emperor's New Groove: David Spade
Tarzan: Minnie Driver, Rosie O'Donnell
Mulan: Ming Na, Eddie Murphy
Hercules: Danny Devito, James Woods
Hunchback: Demi Moore, Tom Hulce
Pocahontas: Mel Gibson
Lion King: Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones
Aladdin: Robin Williams, Gilbert Godttfried
Beauty & the Beast: Angela Lansberry
Little Mermaid: Jodi Benson, Buddy Hackett
Oliver & Co.: Joey Lawrence, Billy Joel

So looking at this list, Mel Gibson and Robin Williams strike me as the only marketable names in their past 17 films. Maybe Michael J Fox since he had just came off Spin City and was in the public eye from his announcement. There are some big names up there like Eddie Murphy or James Earl Jones, but they are minor characters or small roles.

I think you are definitely barking up the wrong tree, but maybe that's just me.
Old 12-20-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They haven't made a decent movie since Emperor's New Groove and they haven't made a great movie since Lion King. This is going to be a slow, painful comeback and it's all the fault of the idiots who decided 2D animation was dead.

Way to go, morons.
Old 12-20-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they don't start off their new 2-D slate with a talking animals flick, I'm all for it.
Old 12-20-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

The movie followed by the biggest stars:

Lion King: Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones

What about JTT!
Old 12-20-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
What about JTT!
Whoops. Actually he was pretty popular at the time, but I still doubt he would be marquee material.
Old 12-20-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Whoops. Actually he was pretty popular at the time, but I still doubt he would be marquee material.

Yeah, he was huge, but what's he doing now? I know he was on Smallville a couple of times.
Old 12-20-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another thing that would help is STOP releasing awful straight to video sequels. This is not the Disney I grew up with as a kid in the 80's.
Old 12-20-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Another thing that would help is STOP releasing awful straight to video sequels. This is not the Disney I grew up with as a kid in the 80's.
The awful straight to video sequels are huge money. Like pure profit.
Old 12-20-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
The awful straight to video sequels are huge money. Like pure profit.
There are a lot of shit products that make good money, it doesn't make it right though.
Old 12-20-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Thats because there wasnt a home video market back then and you arent a kid now...
Old 12-20-06, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm just sick of the direct to video (DVD) titles getting DTS thrown on, but the A-list films no such honor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.