Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't "Joe Rogan: Live" (reviewed by dvdtalk) available for purchase anywhere?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why isn't "Joe Rogan: Live" (reviewed by dvdtalk) available for purchase anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A DVD of stand-up comedy from Joe Rogan simply called "Joe Rogan: Live" has been reviewed by DVD Talk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=25542&___rd=1

The "buy" link takes you to a sign-up page for Netflix. I have searched Amazon, DVD Planet and every other DVD site I can think of, and nobody has any reference to this DVD -- not even as a pre-order.

I sent an e-mail to the author of the review about 10 days ago, and haven't heard back.

So, does anybody know anything about this disc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts
apparently it's a Netflix exclusive. It's not availabale anywhere else.

From the DVDTalk Review:
Released through NetFlix's new distribution label Red Envelope Entertainment, Joe Rogan: Live is currently only available through the online rental service; it's unknown as of this writing whether this disc will ever be seen on the shelves of retail outlets, but given that no other NetFlix exclusives have yet turned up in your local Best Buy, it's unlikely.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-18-06 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 04:35 PM

Any idea whether or not I need to be a Netflix member to buy it? I don't want to join and rent movies from them, but I'd gladly buy this DVD from them.
Old 12-18-06, 04:49 PM

They really don't want to make this easy. In order to send them an e-mail, you need to sign in. If I don't have an account, I cannot sign in. Yet, if I call them, it says that they are experiencing long hold times.

Anybody know for sure if this is a Netflix exclusive and, if so, if there's any way a non-member can purchase it?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
According to the info that GoldenJCJ posted above you, it's a rental exclusive.

We're talking about Netflix here. They want to attract renters, not purchasers.
Old 12-18-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try asking Joe himself at JoeRogan.net
Old 12-18-06, 05:04 PM

Right, but this quote:

"currently only available through the online rental service; it's unknown as of this writing whether this disc will ever be seen on the shelves of retail outlets"

... does not rule out the possibility that Netflix will sell it. It only states that it available through Netflix as opposed to other retailers.

Plus, more importantly, the review also lists a price of $9.99. That's obviously not a rental price, so that also lends support for the conclusion that it can be purchased.
Old 12-18-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'm sure you must know someone who is a member of Netflix. Maybe they can pick it up for you. Or if they still have a free trial period... join, buy the DVD and then quit.

Or something like that.
Old 12-18-06, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I had considered the idea of joining, buying it, and then quitting, but that seems like it might be a huge hassle. How easy is it to quit? If I just have to click a link on the website, I will likely do that. If I have to wait on hold on the phone for 2 hours and then speak to a rep who will spend another 2 hours trying to convince me to stay, I'd rather do without the DVD.
Old 12-18-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Double Down
Plus, more importantly, the review also lists a price of $9.99. That's obviously not a rental price, so that also lends support for the conclusion that it can be purchased.
It doesn't look like it's for sale (at least yet) seeing as it won't even be available to rent until Feb. 6, but if I'm not mistaken the $9.99 price tag is the price of the lowest rental fee (1 at a time)
Old 12-18-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you really like Joe Rogan or something?
Old 12-18-06, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Do you really like Joe Rogan or something?
Have you seen (or heard) him do stand-up? He's insanely funny. His character on News Radio or his hosting persona on Fear Factor are nothing like the Joe Rogan you see when he performs stand-up.
Old 12-18-06, 09:03 PM

*edited- didnt realize it wasnt released yet*
Old 12-18-06, 09:05 PM
Defunct Account

These are available for rental only. As far as I know you can not purchase them.
Old 12-18-06, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
The Joe Rogan dvd is no longer available through Netflix.
This directly contradicts the post above saying it's not coming out until February. Where are you getting your info from?

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
ps- as a comic, he is......ok. He does Opie and Anthony all the time, but is never the funniest guy in the room.
With all due respect, this is just your opinion and comedy is very subjective. I've never heard him on Opie & Anthony, but perhaps he's not that good at improv type material. When he performs an actual stand-up set (which he routinely does at The Comedy Store in Los Angeles) he is insanely funny.
Old 12-18-06, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
These are available for rental only. As far as I know you can not purchase them.
Do you know where the DVDTalk reviewer got the $9.99 price tag from, then? I just want to be 100% sure I cannot purchase this thing before I give up on this issue.
Old 12-18-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
I have a better question for the original poster: why is "Joe Rogan: Live" available to purchase anywhere?
You might want to read up on Threadcraps.
Old 12-18-06, 09:26 PM

This directly contradicts the post above saying it's not coming out until February. Where are you getting your info from?

With all due respect, this is just your opinion and comedy is very subjective. I've never heard him on Opie & Anthony, but perhaps he's not that good at improv type material. When he performs an actual stand-up set (which he routinely does at The Comedy Store in Los Angeles) he is insanely funny.

Hey- My post was up on the board for exactly 5 seconds before I edited it. How did you possibly find time to quote it and editorialize? Are you SURE you don't have time to wait on hold with Netflix?
Old 12-19-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I removed the price, does that make everybody happy now?
Old 12-19-06, 10:38 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to those of you who actually tried to help me. I wasn't trying to be difficult. I was just trying to figure out if there's any way to buy this disc. No more, no less.
Old 12-19-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you seen (or heard) him do stand-up? He's insanely funny. His character on News Radio or his hosting persona on Fear Factor are nothing like the Joe Rogan you see when he performs stand-up.
I actually wasn't even aware that he did stand-up. I'll have to check that out.