Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony to offer movie download service for PSP

Let's see if this is more successful than UMD's:

Link

Ahead of the Bell: Sony

As Sony Corp. enters the video downloading market by distributing movies digitally over the Internet, Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes may face greater competition.

Sony's new video-downloading service, which will be rolled out early next year, allows users to buy movies online and watch them on Sony's PlayStation Portable handheld device, according to an article in Monday's Wall Street Journal.

By offering movies from the company's Hollywood studio, Sony Pictures Entertainment, the Journal reported, Sony is better positioned to compete with rival Apple's iTunes service, which sells music, but only offers movie titles from the Walt Disney Co.

The report said Sony executives plan to widen movie selections to offerings from other studios as well.

Although the time frame is unclear, Sony is also working on a video-downloading service that allows consumers to send new video content directly to their hand-held devices, bypassing their personal computers completely, the Journal said.

Apple shares gained 53 cents to $88.25 in Monday premarket electronic trading on the INET, following their close Friday at $87.72 on the Nasdaq. Shares of Sony closed at $43.41 on the New York Stock Exchange.
Old 12-18-06, 09:55 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

How is Sony ahead of the bell on that when their service won't even be out until next year?

The 360 has a system in place already for downloading movies and tv shows to watch on the console. Granted, it isn't portable like the PSP is, but they already have it in place.

If Sony had come out with this last year, then I'd say they were ahead.
Old 12-18-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
How is Sony ahead of the bell on that when their service won't even be out until next year?
I don't read the WSJ, but I assume "Ahead of the Bell" refers to information that comes out before trading begins that may affect stock prices?
Old 12-18-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
johnglass is correct. Ahead of the Bell is just one of their columns, IIRC.

This is good news. I want many competing downloadable movie services. Unbox, iTunes, Sony, Microsoft, pile 'em on. Competition has never hurt.
Old 12-18-06, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Ahh.. that could be.. I don't read that publication either. In that regard, I guess it would make sense if it was reported there before other places.

I took it to mean ahead of everyone else. I'm not sure which it applies to.

It is good news in either regard as it gives people choices and competition between services.
Old 12-18-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm waiting for the "PS3 Required" catch just like the game service. No thanks Sony, fool me once.
Old 12-18-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Seems odd given the demise of UMD. I don't see people wanting to download movies for their PSP in enough numbers to make it worth it. But they seem to want to hold on to the dream that their machines are all sorts of things besides just game consoles.