Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Good German'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 12:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of The Good German at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25643 and...

Is anyone else sick of seeing Soderbergh use George Clooney? I thought it couldn't get any worse than when he made a freakin' remake of Solaris with Clooney, but now he's using him as a stand-in for Bogey. It grates on me. Clooney can be okay sometimes, but usually he's just playing George Clooney, and I've never seen Soderbergh pull an especially good performance from him. It irks me because I really like Soderbergh, but his whole "hobnobbing it with the stars" thing is wearing thin. I just had to vent.
Old 12-17-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't say Soderbergh "hobnobs with the stars". He's got business ventures with Clooney, and by all accounts they're good friends. That's why they do movies together. Just like Scorsese/DeNiro (or these days Scorsese/DiCaprio) or Hitchcock/Stewart or many other director/actor combos. I don't have a problem with Clooney or Soderbergh, although I have yet to see the Good German.
Old 12-17-06, 12:24 AM
Banned by request

I guess the difference between Scorsese/De Niro, Hitchcock/Stewart, Kurosawa/Mifune, Herzog/Kinski etc. and Soderbergh/Clooney is that with those others, it never felt like they were making vanity pictures for their actors. Several of the films Soderbergh has made with Clooney feel like complete vanity projects for Clooney. I guess the other difference is that those actors actually varied their performances to each movie they did with the director, whereas Clooney just plays Clooney.
Old 12-17-06, 03:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suprmallet, if it helps, I completely agree. Love Cate Blanchett, but will be skipping this because of Clooney and Maguire.
Old 12-17-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I guess the difference between Scorsese/De Niro, Hitchcock/Stewart, Kurosawa/Mifune, Herzog/Kinski etc. and Soderbergh/Clooney is that with those others, it never felt like they were making vanity pictures for their actors. Several of the films Soderbergh has made with Clooney feel like complete vanity projects for Clooney. I guess the other difference is that those actors actually varied their performances to each movie they did with the director, whereas Clooney just plays Clooney.
I guess it depends on how you personally define "vanity projects." Clooney wasn't playing himself in Solaris, and doesn't seem to be playing himself in The Good German either. To me, everyone in the "Ocean's" movies were essentially playing themselves, or playing an ironic twist on themselves.

I'm curious, which films do you think Clooney and Soderbergh made were vanity projects?
Old 12-17-06, 01:41 PM

Looking forward to this movie. Seems the reviewer cant jive a homage to B&W movies of the 40s with more of a sense of realism of how people talked in real life as opposed to the "reel life" of movie dialogue back then. Melding these two worlds is not going to be a hinder for me. Also, I think Clooney gave an awesome performance in Solaris and the remake is much better than the original.
Old 12-17-06, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I guess it depends on how you personally define "vanity projects." Clooney wasn't playing himself in Solaris, and doesn't seem to be playing himself in The Good German either. To me, everyone in the "Ocean's" movies were essentially playing themselves, or playing an ironic twist on themselves.

I'm curious, which films do you think Clooney and Soderbergh made were vanity projects?
Just about every one except maybe Out of Sight. And even though Clooney played himself in that one, there was more to the movie than him.
Old 12-17-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just about every one except maybe Out of Sight. And even though Clooney played himself in that one, there was more to the movie than him.
OK, so any Steven Soderbergh movie that has George Clooney as the star is a vanity project? That's fair.
Old 12-18-06, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

Considering he has Clooney play himself, yes, I think that IS fair. The only film I've seen where Clooney even tries to play someone who isn't exactly like George Clooney is O, Brother, Where Art Thou?
Old 12-18-06, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering he has Clooney play himself, yes, I think that IS fair. The only film I've seen where Clooney even tries to play someone who isn't exactly like George Clooney is O, Brother, Where Art Thou?
Why don't you just admit you hate George Clooney and make the discussion easier? There's no problem with that; maybe you just don't like him. But there's no point in discussing anything if you really believe Clooney has essentially played himself in every movie except O Brother, which I believe to be false.
Old 12-18-06, 04:03 AM
Banned by request

The thing is, I don't hate George Clooney. I thought he had charm to spare in Out of Sight, and I really enjoyed Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, as well as his performance in O, Brother, Where Art Thou? I do think he's a lazy performer, though, and it takes a lot of work for a director to coax a performance out of him that is actually worthwhile.
Old 12-18-06, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I typically like George Clooney. With Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Solaris, O Brother Where Art Thou, Ocean's Eleven and Three Kings, he's built up quite a solid filmography over the past decade. Despite enjoying his performances, I'll be checking out The Good German on dvd, if at all. I recently read the book and the descriptions of the movie I've seen in reviews sound like they've taken drastic liberties with the plot, most of which I think would hurt the overall story.
Old 12-18-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Supr: Have you seen Syriana? He definitely does not play himself there.

Now that The Good German has gotten two good reviews from this site I might try to check it out.
Old 12-18-06, 02:17 PM

The thing is, I don't hate George Clooney. I thought he had charm to spare in Out of Sight, and I really enjoyed Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, as well as his performance in O, Brother, Where Art Thou? I do think he's a lazy performer, though, and it takes a lot of work for a director to coax a performance out of him that is actually worthwhile.
Please provide a link to any director that has stated it takes work for them to coax a performance out of him - otherwise, this is merely your opinion but yet stated as if you have read or heard something else we havent
Old 12-18-06, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by The Bus
Supr: Have you seen Syriana? He definitely does not play himself there.

Now that The Good German has gotten two good reviews from this site I might try to check it out.
I have not seen Syriana but will give it a try next time I see the HD DVD at a low price.
Old 12-18-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I recently read the book and the descriptions of the movie I've seen in reviews sound like they've taken drastic liberties with the plot, most of which I think would hurt the overall story.
That's what I have been worried about from the get-go, but I've been patient since I am usually a fan of Soderbergh's work.
Old 12-18-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm with Suprmallet on this one. I can't stand George Clooney the person or the quasi-political activist/Budweiser spokesman, but I think I can distinguish that from his performances. I think in movies where he's asked to play "himself" or just a smooth talking, arrogant but affable guy he does pretty well. I think he and Pitt anchored both Ocean's 11/12 movies well and he was pretty good in the AWFUL Intolerable Cruelty. But he just doesn't mold into his films like other actors, there's always the "That's George Clooney" factor that I don't think he ever quite overcomes.

Edit: Let me also add that he was good in One Fine Day, one of the better movies that my wife loves.