Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Scrubs - "My Coffee" - 12/14/06

MrX
12-14-06, 12:37 PM
"My Coffee"
J.D. and Kim are surprised of how much they have in common. Recently giving birth, Carla prepares to return to work. Elliot tries to persuade Dr. Turner, a surgeon with thirty years of experience, that medicine is the better option to work with and that surgery could kill him.

TGM
12-14-06, 03:22 PM
Kim is hot!

boogieman03
12-14-06, 03:26 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/the_40_year_old_virgin/elizabeth_banks/virgin1.jpg
My name is...Beth

Turd Ferguson
12-14-06, 04:07 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/the_40_year_old_virgin/elizabeth_banks/virgin1.jpg
My name is...Beth

I'd throw a baby up in her.

Kal-El
12-14-06, 04:09 PM
I actually don't like the Kim character or the actress that plays her. Something's just "off" about her.

RocShemp
12-14-06, 08:26 PM
At what time does this/did this air?

Goldberg74
12-14-06, 09:29 PM
In what city does "Scrubs" take place in?

RichC2
12-14-06, 09:32 PM
I love the actress that plays Kim, not so sure about her character though.

movieking
12-14-06, 09:33 PM
The first two sentences of the episode description posted didn't seem to really apply to the episode.

RocShemp
12-14-06, 10:30 PM
I actually don't like the Kim character or the actress that plays her. Something's just "off" about her.
Although this is only my first time seeing her, I have to agree 100% (for now).

MrX
12-14-06, 11:44 PM
meh

They've done the whole "person that one of the main characters is dating getting a job far away" thing before with Elliot.

GoldenJCJ
12-14-06, 11:48 PM
In what city does "Scrubs" take place in?
I'm not sure they've ever said. I think it's supposed to be kind of like Anytown, USA.

Though signs point to somewhere in California.

SonOfAStu
12-14-06, 11:51 PM
Check her out in The 40-year old Virgin. It's a movie you should see anyway, just because it's brilliant (and was on HBO tonight, btw). "Beth" is a freak.

Goldberg74
12-14-06, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure they've ever said. I think it's supposed to be kind of like Anytown, USA.

On the wikipedia it states:
The show focuses on the professional and personal lives of several characters working at Sacred Heart Hospital, a fictional teaching hospital in an unspecified American city.
and...
However, the location of Sacred Heart Hospital within the fictional world of Scrubs is not stated. The Scrubs city is meant to remain anonymous to reinforce that the situations apply to all locations, according to staff.[citation needed] Cast and crew on the show refer to the location as "San DaFrangeles" a portmanteau of San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles that is meant to encompass a large part of California. However, many fans continue to speculate about where exactly the show might take place.

GoldenJCJ
12-15-06, 12:00 AM
Yeah that's kind of the jist of it.

Though for some dumb ass reason I've been thinking it's Chicago for the past 5 seasons. :o I don't know why. I guess it's just that so many doctor shows are set there.

B.A.
12-15-06, 12:29 AM
Dr. Jan I Tor is one hell of a coffee and compact disc salesman.

cornflakeguy
12-15-06, 01:22 AM
This episode seemed so different. Was it the lighting? Editing? Music cues?

It was like they brought in the 2nd string to make the episode.

Weird pacing.

Jimmy James
12-15-06, 01:30 AM
meh

They've done the whole "person that one of the main characters is dating getting a job far away" thing before with Elliot.

Ah, but this is doctor one of the characters is dating getting a job far away. That's totally different.

Count Dooku
12-15-06, 04:21 AM
Dr. Jan I Tor is one hell of a coffee and compact disc salesman.
You can get a cup of coffee from Dr. Jan I. Tor, but you have to Dr. Acula if you want a cup of (wait for it) buh-lood.

hahn
12-15-06, 04:34 AM

A friend of mine was in residency at Brown University's Hospital (I forget the name). Anyhow, the guy who wrote the original script for the show went there also. He completed residency just as my friend was arriving. Supposedly, he went out to Hollywood after residency with his script for "Scrubs". The show is supposed to be based on his experiences as a resident. And the hospital is supposed to be based on their hospital in Providence, RI. Don't know if the actual show is meant to be there though.

hahn
12-15-06, 04:35 AM
"Smokaccino" :lol:

Goldberg74
12-15-06, 08:48 AM
"Smokaccino" :lol:
"That's as tall as he's gonna get." rotfl

rfduncan
12-15-06, 09:47 AM
Though for some dumb ass reason I've been thinking it's Chicago for the past 5 seasons. :o I don't know why. I guess it's just that so many doctor shows are set there.
Well it has to be southern California since they almost never seem to have snow and several of their "Christmas" episodes rarely depict people bundled up.

Interesting turn of events for Elliot. It will be fun to see where this career path moves her. Does that mean she has to abandon the co-chief resident position?

Tommy Ceez
12-15-06, 10:31 AM
Is it me or does it seem like they're all getting to old for this show?

Jimmy James
12-15-06, 10:58 AM
Well it has to be southern California since they almost never seem to have snow and several of their "Christmas" episodes rarely depict people bundled up.

So southern California is the only place where it doesn't snow and people aren't bundled up?

boogieman03
12-15-06, 11:03 AM
The muffin puppet I thought was especially funny.
In the previews, they showed JD's head getting wrapped up in cotton candy, but I didn't see it in the episode. Did I just miss it?

Jimmy James
12-15-06, 11:04 AM
Nope, you didn't miss it. They may have filmed that just to air as a commercial, or it may have been cut for time.

rfduncan
12-15-06, 11:05 AM
So southern California is the only place where it doesn't snow and people aren't bundled up?
-rolleyes- And YOUR theory is - what a smart alec-y comment? I know I've seen California plates on the vehicles.

Jimmy James
12-15-06, 11:14 AM
I don't need a theory -- it's clear the show isn't supposed to be set anywhere in particular.

Draven
12-15-06, 11:42 AM
Is it me or does it seem like they're all getting to old for this show?

It's just you.

rfduncan
12-15-06, 12:05 PM
I don't need a theory -- it's clear the show isn't supposed to be set anywhere in particular.
I've never read or heard that on DVD commentary. I just always assumed since Sacred Heart is a real decommissioned hospital on Riverside Drive in North Hollywood, California that that is where the show takes place. Certainly NOT Chicago as we've heard Carla say she needed to fly there when her aunt dies and certainly NOT on the East Coast because J.D.'s brother Dan drives someone's car across the country for them in S2.

Birrman54
12-15-06, 01:07 PM
I've never read or heard that on DVD commentary. I just always assumed since Sacred Heart is a real decommissioned hospital on Riverside Drive in North Hollywood, California that that is where the show takes place. Certainly NOT Chicago as we've heard Carla say she needed to fly there when her aunt dies and certainly NOT on the East Coast because J.D.'s brother Dan drives someone's car across the country for them in S2.

plus we've seen JD take Kim on a date to the beach, and we know from Ep 1 from this season that they're a drive away from Las Vegas.

Clearly the show is set in CA, it doesn't really matter where. I always assumed San Diego area.

Kal-El
12-15-06, 01:16 PM
I always assumed San Diego area.

Same here.

hahn
12-15-06, 02:10 PM
Interesting turn of events for Elliot. It will be fun to see where this career path moves her. Does that mean she has to abandon the co-chief resident position?
She hasn't been co-chief resident for more than a year now. She finished two seasons ago. Remember last season, she started the show being an endocrine fellow at a different nearby hospital. Then she came back to Sacred Heart as an attending. JD's also an attending.

Not sure if this changes anything for Elliot since she' going to continue at Sacred Heart. She will be making double however, so that may lead to some funny storylines...

riley_dude
12-15-06, 07:09 PM
meh

Well that is Zach Braff's out if he decides to leave the show.

Some funny stuff.

kvrdave
12-15-06, 07:21 PM
Still not getting into this season much. I feel like I will watch to see how it ends.

Jimmy James
12-15-06, 07:22 PM
Well that is Zach Braff's out if he decides to leave the show.

Some funny stuff.

I think it's probably more like that's Touchstone/NBC's in if they want more Scrubs and somehow get Lawrence to agree.

GoldenJCJ
12-15-06, 08:28 PM
I always assumed San Diego area.
I did catch a re-run a few days ago that had Elliot chasing after her boyfriend who worked at Sea World. I know there is more than one Sea World but it fits your theory nicely.

GoldenJCJ
12-15-06, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I know. All the signs are there but for one reason or another I chose to ignore them throughout the series. Now that I think about it I'm sure I've seen palm trees along the streets in some of the shots. There may even be palm trees around J.D.'s porch.

ween
12-16-06, 12:17 AM
I did catch a re-run a few days ago that had Elliot chasing after her boyfriend who worked at Sea World. I know there is more than one Sea World but it fits your theory nicely.

Except she took a train to see him at some point while he was still at Sea World, so I would think if you must place them somewhere real then it would be some where semi-far from San Diego.

And I am pretty sure they said it was Sea World San Diego, but I don't have any proof.

CKMorpheus
12-16-06, 02:56 PM
It really seems they are setting this season up to be the last.

JD and Kim expecting a child and possibly moving to DC.
Elliot with a new job.

Who knows what other roads will open up for the rest of the characters in the next few episodes?

NeggShmellow
12-16-06, 04:10 PM
Actually, Tacoma is in Washington the state, not the city.

Chauzer
12-16-06, 04:21 PM
loved this episode

how does it work where elliot works for another practice but is still staffed at the hospital?

Jimmy James
12-16-06, 04:47 PM
loved this episode

how does it work where elliot works for another practice but is still staffed at the hospital?

I took from the conversation that she wouldn't actually work *out* of the hospital but that she'd spend a very large amount of her time there (perhaps looking after the post-operative care for the practice?). I'd expect that the practice probably has a suite in a medical office building right across the street or whatever.

valkyrie
12-16-06, 07:05 PM
This season is really just...lame, IMHO. After only what, two eps, I'm about ready to delete this one off my list. The episodes just don't seem funny anymore (maybe it's me.).

Anyone else getting that?

Dr_Evil
12-16-06, 07:18 PM
This season is really just...lame, IMHO. After only what, two eps, I'm about ready to delete this one off my list. The episodes just don't seem funny anymore (maybe it's me.).

This last episode felt off to me. Almost like they are trying too hard to be funny. There are still some funny moments in these episodes, but they aren't as jam packed as previous seasons.

Snowmaker
12-16-06, 09:32 PM
Loved Darth Vader in the coffee line asking the person if they got their tickets yet. :lol:

wmansir
12-17-06, 01:04 AM
That was the only part about the coffee line gag I didn't like, since it felt really dated. I guess the "Star Bucks are everywhere" premise is dated too, but having he line end at another franchise was hysterical. I also like how almost every extra in the episode had a cup of coffee.

I really liked this episode most of the season so far. The first two didn't seem to have the right rhythm and a few things threw me like JD's gay abduction and Blueman Group encounter and the marching band thing. Those seemed more like JD fantasies and not stuff they would put "in the real world" of the show. This episode had a few moments of 'real world' wackiness, like the coffee line and everyone in the hospital ending Elliot's awesome jokes (which reminds me, loved E's squeaky scream), but it wasn't as jarring.

Jeremy517
12-17-06, 01:05 AM

This episode and the first episode both felt off to me. The second one felt like classic Scrubs though.

Jeremy517
12-17-06, 01:07 AM
BTW, the next new episode is entitled His Story IV and features someone who has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap

kvrdave
12-17-06, 11:57 PM
:lol: We get use to it.

Wazootyman
12-18-06, 02:16 AM
Especially liked the coffee in everyone's hands, immediately before watching this ep, I was in the University library studying for finals, and as a finals perk there's free coffee. I went through 4 larges and I'm pretty sure I'm about to die!

NeggShmellow
12-18-06, 07:26 PM
We get use to it.

Yeah, I know. Try living in Vancouver and explaining city and state. Greetings from Vancouver (U.S.A), Washington (the State) Sheesh. Go Cougars!

On topic, loved the show!

Chew
12-20-06, 11:05 AM
A spoiler from this week's TV Guide:

An upcoming episode will have Dr. Cox with some sort of leg injury requiring him to use a cane. He goes around the hospital and solves everybody's cases.

Hmmmmmm

:lol:

rfduncan
12-20-06, 11:34 AM
JD and Kim expecting a child and possibly moving to DC.
Elliot with a new job.

Easy mistake. There is a neighborhood in upper NW DC called Takoma too. ;)

GoldenJCJ
12-20-06, 08:50 PM

An upcoming episode will have Dr. Cox with some sort of leg injury requiring him to use a cane. He goes around the hospital and solves everybody's cases.

Hmmmmmm

That's going to be gold, Chew! Gold!

RichC2
12-22-06, 11:40 AM
On a side note, anyone watch Scrubs last night? It was a re-run, ended with Cox being depressed after losing a series of patients and blaming himself (end of last season?), the ending is depressing, and it cut immediately to "KEEP THE FUNNY COMING!" Genius timing there NBC rotfl.

Michael Corvin
12-22-06, 12:21 PM

Hmmmmmm

:lol: That's awesome.