DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dragon Quest IX - DS EXCLUSIVE!

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/12/dr...-ds-exclusive/

There went my big reason to own a PS3.
Old 12-12-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOAH!! DQ IX exclusive to a portable?!! Oh how sweet that little machine is.
Old 12-12-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Four Player Co-op?!
Old 12-12-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts
That's crazy news. It also was one of the reasons I was going to eventually pick up a PS3. Now if they'll only make an all new final fantasy game using the engine they developed for FF:III I would be in DS heaven.
Old 12-12-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll repost what I put on SK.
Well well well. This is shocking. I love it. I love the DS, it is the best, most convenient system available. Plus the already well-established Japanese foothold makes perfect sense.

I would have loved to see it on the Wii, but at least it isn't on the PS3.

If you don't own a DS, consider this your wake-up call to put some money aside over the next year and a half or so.

Action RPG? Like Kingdom Hearts? Or more like "real-time" turn-based battles. Where each character and enemy has an initiative meter that determines when the next action can occur. I saw the screenshot earlier where it showed two people hitting an enemy simultaneously, so that's encouraging that it isn't running around in a 3-D space, mashing the X button.

Wi-Fi is a very welcome inclusion, but as long as the single player aspect remains, who can complain?

DS limitations... Sad, but true. No way will the world be as big or vibrant as DQVIII on the PS2. Voice acting is gone, for better or worse (should speed up localization).

DS improvements... touch-driven menu system. Maps/stats on the top screen and interactive environment on the bottom. WiFi for co-op battle and item trading. Rare alchemy.

We already have a massive community here, anything that is found only via online swapping or play, we'll have in spades.

I say bring it on!
Looking forward to this in a big way! Bye-bye PS3! Not even Kingdom Hearts 3 can save you now.
Old 12-12-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd still buy Kingdom Hearts III, I'd just borrow a PS3 to play it.

I think I'd have a heart attack if they announced Kingdom Hearts III for the Wii.
Old 12-12-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Japan already has a teaser commercial!
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UasFXlgBY4"></embed>
Old 12-12-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
More (non-Google) translation from the article:

"This is a 'Network RPG' based primarily on the DS's excellent use of wireless network functionality. There is no longer a 'One World for One Person' experience, but is the epitome of an 'adventure with friends'"

"...and of course using Nintendo's Wi-Fi internet service you will be able to play simultaneously with friends from all over Japan!"
Old 12-12-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
That is a shock. I wonder why, considering the limitations of the DS. I can only guess that FF III must have sold like gangbusters on the DS. Anyway, DQ8 was my first forray into the series and I like it, so far. I'll probably pick this up.
Old 12-12-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Japanese: YAY!
Americans: DS no am good grapfics!
Old 12-12-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I can't wait to get this $ucker in 2007 Why not make DQ 9 for PS3 with MSRP $70 per game & it'll sell less 500 thousand copies instead port it to DS with MSRP $35 and sell over 2-5 million copies in no time.
Old 12-12-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
How fast did DQ8 hit 20 bucks? I swear when people were just talking about it coming out I saw it already at like 20 or 30 at Target, and it's now a GH game.
Old 12-12-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some 4-player gameplay footage.
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="355" width="450" src="http://www.gamebrink.com/bvideo/659"></embed>
Old 12-12-06, 10:11 AM

Wow that vid looks hot.

Big fan of DQ games so my DS will get a lot of love at that time.

Anyways, Im happy its on the DS. I love the art style personally and Level-5 is developing it [my favorite developers].

But I highly doubt this spells doom for the PS3. They still have Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo series, and Metal Gear Solid.
Old 12-12-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts
Wow, that's not what I was hoping for at all. This would be good as a spin-off game, but I've continued to like the DQ games because they've always been traditional turn based RPGs. I'm sure I'll still like the game but it seems like it may be one of those games that's only fully enjoyable with other people like Crystal Chronicles. That's a big disappointment considering they're releasing this and the next actual installment of the series. Hopefully they're already working on DQ:X which will be an RPG instead of a multiplayer action game.
Old 12-12-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Celpacius
But I highly doubt this spells doom for the PS3. They still have Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo series, and Metal Gear Solid.
I don't think anyone is predicting PS3 doom from this.. but for me, this was one of those games that could have easily pushed me into buying a system I have otherwise zero interest in (at the moment and immediate future, at least).
Old 12-12-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Wow, that's not what I was hoping for at all. This would be good as a spin-off game, but I've continued to like the DQ games because they've always been traditional turn based RPGs. I'm sure I'll still like the game but it seems like it may be one of those games that's only fully enjoyable with other people like Crystal Chronicles. That's a big disappointment considering they're releasing this and the next actual installment of the series. Hopefully they're already working on DQ:X which will be an RPG instead of a multiplayer action game.
I agree. As I'm going to play mostly solo, I don't see how it'll be fun to control a single character. Major step back in the strategy aspect of character management. Are you locked into a 4 player mode if you start that way? With the same 4 characters, I should clarify. Or do you create a character and build him up in solo games and optional, matched-up online areas.

I'm so confused by this game as a real entry in the series...

Last edited by pinata242; 12-12-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 10:35 AM
Retired

Wow, as if the DS wasn't already flying off shelves in Japan.
Old 12-12-06, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't like this move at all. I don't mind spin-offs here and there being done on portables but to take an epic game like DQ and dumb it down on a portable is lame. I prefer to play epic RPG's(i.e. FF, Grandia,Tales, DQ, etc.) on a console. With the hardware limitations of the DS the game isn't going to look as good or be as lengthy as if they'd done this on a console. Poor decision, imo.
Old 12-12-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is the game going to be "dumbed down" on the DS? There's absolutely nothing in the PS2 or PS3 that would make it a longer or more epic game than on the DS. Please tell me, on a technical level, and remember that I've worked in game development, how the technical limitations of the DS mean that it will be a shorter game.

Old 12-12-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
With the hardware limitations of the DS the game isn't going to look as good or be as lengthy as if they'd done this on a console.
There is absolutely no reason that this can't be as long the PS2 version was.
Old 12-12-06, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
How is the game going to be "dumbed down" on the DS? There's absolutely nothing in the PS2 or PS3 that would make it a longer or more epic game than on the DS. Please tell me, on a technical level, and remember that I've worked in game development, how the technical limitations of the DS mean that it will be a shorter game.

It's a "portable" game. They're not going to make a 60hr+ RPG, especially one that is multiplayer, on a portable gaming device. Tell me, when was the last time you played a 60hr RPG on a portable? The game will not look as good or play as long had they done this for a console.

I don't mind spin-offs and such but to take an epic game like the Dragon Quest series and put it on a portable is not a good idea, imo.
Old 12-12-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tell me, when was the last time you played a 60hr RPG on a portable?
That's a fair point. But, when was the last time you played a full-fledged, new Dragon Quest on a portable? There's no way to know what this will encompass now.
Retired

Tell me, when was the last time you played a 60hr RPG on a portable?
Wasn't Final Fantasy Tactics Advance well over 60 hours?

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
There is absolutely no reason that this can't be as long the PS2 version was.
Last I checked the media capacity on the DS wasn't near that of a DVD. If they were going to make it as long or longer than DQ8 then they would probably have to go all 2D because you're not going to fit a game of that magnitude and in glorious 3D on a DS chip.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.