DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Film Noir Boxset 4 News!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warner Film Noir Boxset 4 News!

From dvdbeaver.com:

Warner Film Noir Boxset 4 will have 10 films (instead of 5)
Act of Violence (MGM, 1949). Cornered (RKO, 1945), Crime Wave (WB, 1954), Decoy (Monogram, 1946), Illegal (WB, 1955), Mystery Street (MGM, 1950), Side Street (MGM, 1950), Tension (MGM, 1950), They Live By Night (RKO, 1949) and Where Danger Lives (RKO, 1950)
Eddie Muller says on his website that he already recorded commentaries for They Live By Night (together with Farley Granger) and Crime Wave (together with James Ellroy)!!
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

10 films!!!! Crime Wave
Old 12-11-06, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two very good films accompanied by several middling titles seems to be Warner's new box set strategy. I hope they release They Live by Night separately, but I doubt that they will.
Old 12-11-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like it. Some titles that will please many.
Old 12-11-06, 10:11 PM

Looks like a great set to me, wonder how this will be priced, a lot of great looking titles though none of which I've ever had the chance to see.
Old 12-11-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! Ten disc at one shot...that will fix the problem of it being the same size as the old sets....good times
Old 12-11-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Decoy!!! Now that's some good news.

I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, they'd throw in the underrated Bogart noir, Conflict, in this set, but maybe that will come with the next Bogart set, or Noir set #5.

This looks like a very cool set - even if they aren't the higher profile titles that a lot of us would like I'm willing to bet that ultimately almost all noir fans will be happy with this release!

Now if they'd only do a 10 movie Bogart set with his remaining titles (Black Legion, Conflict, King of the Underworld, Chain Lightning, etc) - then I'd be REALLY happy!
Old 12-11-06, 11:54 PM
Cool New Member

I don't think Warners are planning to release anymore Bogart until 2008.
Old 12-12-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacqui
I don't think Warners are planning to release anymore Bogart until 2008.
2007, 2008 - I'm OK with that as long as they release another set! (2007 would be better, though...)
Old 12-12-06, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by starecase
Two very good films accompanied by several middling titles seems to be Warner's new box set strategy. I hope they release They Live by Night separately, but I doubt that they will.
Some of the lesser-known titles are really really good, like CORNERED. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by this set.
Old 12-12-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Wow! Ten disc at one shot...that will fix the problem of it being the same size as the old sets....good times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that this will be 5 discs with 2 films per disc.
Old 12-12-06, 08:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Excellent news!
Old 12-12-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Void
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that this will be 5 discs with 2 films per disc.
this is the first news i have heard at all about the set, so not sure where that would have come from
Old 12-12-06, 09:24 AM

I don't have a problem with it if they do this. They did the same thing with the Lewton and the Legends of Horror box. The films tend to be short and there is still room for commentaries, trailers and a few stills.
Old 12-12-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
this is the first news i have heard at all about the set, so not sure where that would have come from
I read it on the Back Alley Noir board. Apparently this news was in the latest Noir City Sentinel.

http://filmnoir.suddenlaunch3.com/in...num=1165867807
Old 12-12-06, 09:38 AM

Regarding running times for the films:

Act of Violence (Zinnemann, 1948) - 82 mins.
Cornered (Dmytryk, 1945) - 102 mins.
Crime Wave (De Toth, 1954) - 73 mins.
Decoy (Bernhard, 1946) - 76 mins.
Illegal (Allen, 1955) - 88 mins.
Mystery Street (Sturges, 1950) - 93 mins.
Side Street (Mann, 1950) - 83 mins.
Tension (Berry, 1950) - 95 mins.
They Live By Night (Ray, 1948) - 95 mins.
Where Danger Lives (Farrow, 1950) - 82 mins.

I'd say five discs is certainly possible since most are under 90 minutes.
Old 12-12-06, 11:05 AM

Side Street! Yes, more Mann on DVD! It better have a commentary too!!!!
Old 12-12-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-12-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to see They Live By Night getting a Region 1 release.
Old 12-12-06, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by GLENDALEFALCON
Side Street! Yes, more Mann on DVD! It better have a commentary too!!!!
I love Mann, also. He made some really good movies in a variety of genres.
Old 12-13-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read it on the Back Alley Noir board. Apparently this news was in the latest Noir City Sentinel.

http://filmnoir.suddenlaunch3.com/in...num=1165867807
very good. I knew they had stepped up the turnaround on releases last tiem out. Good news just the same.
Old 02-12-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

passing it on

Originally Posted by Corey at HTF
The New York Times did a piece on Muller's Noir City 5 today and in the piece mentioned a scoop. This year's Warner noir box set would have two titles featuring Robert Mitchum....which would seem to say the line-up for the set has changed a little bit. The only film that imdb shows as having Mitchum is Where Danger Lives so maybe we'll get The Big Steal this year after all.

Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt, Nights Are Noir in Fog City

Quote:
Film noir is enjoying something of a second golden age at the moment. In addition to the San Francisco festival, the Film Forum in New York City offered a major noir series last year, and studios like Warner Brothers and Fox have ratcheted up their noir reissues to such an extent that many films that never made it out on VHS are appearing on DVD. Just last week Warner Home Video released 1952’s “Angel Face,” starring Robert Mitchum, which had only been available on foreign or pirated VHS tapes. Mr. Muller provides the commentary track.

“With film noir, if you show it to a group of 20-year-olds, they’ll find something to get hooked on,” said George Feltenstein, Warner Home Video’s voluble senior vice president for marketing for its classic catalog. “There is a sexiness to it, there is a mystery took it. These are very seductive movies, they are not cookie-cutter.”

Warner Brothers has released three noir box sets. The first, which came out in 2004 and featured titles like “Out of the Past” and “The Asphalt Jungle,” hit No. 1 on Amazon.com’s DVD list. This year Warner’s fourth noir set will include 10 rather than 5 movies. Here’s a scoop for noir fans: Two will star Mr. Mitchum.
Old 04-16-07, 10:56 AM
Banned

Details now from dvdtimes.co.uk:

Warner Film Noir Collection Vol. 4 in July

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 4 on 31st July 2007. The next Film Noir collection sees legendary Hollywood tough guys and femme fatales once again colliding, this time in ten smoldering suspense classics, all new to Region 1 DVD. Presented as Double Features titles include Act of Violence/ Mystery Street; Crime Wave/ Decoy; Illegal/ The Big Steal; They Live By Night/ Side Street; and Where Danger Lives/ Tension.

The new movies, which have all been digitally remastered for this collection, star film noir icons Robert Mitchum, Edward G. Robinson, Robert Ryan, Van Heflin, Ricardo Montalban, Claude Rains and Farley Granger, among others. The five-disc collection, will be available for $59.92 SRP and single titles will sell for $20.97 SRP.

About the collection…

Act of Violence (1948)/ Mystery Street (1950)
This grim melodrama stars Van Heflin as former World War II pilot Frank Enley, a respected contractor and family man, whose wife is played by Janet Leigh. When his troubled, crippled bombardier (Robert Ryan) shows up with a gun and a score to settle, it becomes apparent that perhaps neither man is what he seems to be. Director Fred Zinnemann (The Day of the Jackal) guides a searing Act of Violence, “the first postwar noir to take a challenging look at the ethics of men in combat” (Eddie Muller, Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir).”

Murder lives on Mystery Street. John Sturges (The Great Escape) directs a revealing-“CSI”-type film about a Boston cop (Ricardo Montalban) called upon to solve the mystery surrounding a skeleton found on a Cape Cod beach with the help of a Harvard forensic expert (Bruce Bennett).

Special Features:

Act of Violence
Commentary by Dr. Drew Casper
Act of Violence: Dealing With the Devil
Theatrical Trailer

Mystery Street
Commentary by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward
Mystery Street: Murder at Harvard
Theatrical Trailer

Crime Wave (1954)/ Decoy (1946)
Legendary director Andre de Toth (House of Wax) was at the helm of this outstanding, but little-known L.A. noir about three escaped convicts from San Quentin who rob a gas station and kill a motorcycle cop. The hardboiled cop heading the manhunt is Sterling Hayden (The Asphalt Jungle).

Recent Film Noir festivals have provided an opportunity for audiences to rediscover truly forgotten films. Such is the case with Monogram Pictures Decoy, in which a drop-dead gorgeous dame Margo Shelby, played by British newcomer, Jean Gille, revives her gangster boyfriend after he dies in the gas chamber, not because she’s so fond of him, but because he knows where the loot is buried. This is a film that very few people have ever seen, but will likely be the subject of much cinephile discussion after its broad availability in this new Film Noir V.4 collection.

Special Features:

Crime Wave
Commentary by James Ellroy and Eddie Muller
Crime Wave: The City is Dark
Theatrical trailer

Decoy
Commentary by Stanley Rubin and Glenn Erickson
Decoy: A Map to Nowhere
Theatrical trailer

Illegal (1955)/ The Big Steal (1949)
When his career as a D.A. unexpectedly collapses, tenacious Victor Scott turns to defending criminal lowlifes. Edward G. Robinson plays Scott in this snappy remake of The Mouthpiece (1932) directed by Lewis Allen (The Uninvited). Film buffs’ moments include Jayne Mansfield’s scenes and real-life art expert Robinson’s comments on a crime lord’s collection of paintings.

Out of the Past’s Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer reteam in The Big Steal, speeding along Mexican roadways in pursuit of a grifter who has a suitcase that may be stuffed with cash. This film, both tense and humorous at the same time is directed by Clint Eastwood’s filmmaking mentor, Don Siegel.

Special Features:

Illegal
Commentary by Nina Foch and Patricia King Hanson
Illegal: Marked for Life
Behind the Cameras: Edward G. Robinson
Theatrical trailer

The Big Steal
Commentary by Richard B. Jewell
The Big Steal: Look Behind You

They Live By Night (1948)/ Side Street (1950)
Young escaped convict Bowie (Farley Granger) and Keechie (Cathy O’Donnell) just want to let their new love blossom. But thugs like Chicamaw 'One-Eye' Mobley (Howard da Silva) have other ideas, forcing Bowie to be their accomplice. They Live By Night, a story of doomed and desperate love is director Nicholas Ray’s (Rebel Without a Cause) debut, and is “one of the most poignant and unforgettable noirs ever made” (The Movie Guide).

In Side Street, Granger and O’Donnell team again as struggling marrieds in an unforgiving Manhattan. In a moment of weakness, the letter carrier gives in to temptation and steals what he thinks is a few hundred dollars. But its $30,000, tied to some ruthless blackmailers, and Granger’s attempt to return it puts him in deeper peril. Anthony Mann (Border Incident) directs with a flair that makes the city a key player in this noir nerve-jangler.

Special Features:

They Live By Night
Commentary by Farley Granger and Eddie Muller
They Live By Night: The Twisted Road
Theatrical trailer

Side Street
Commentary by Richard Schickel
Side Street: Where Temptation Lurks
Theatrical trailer

Where Danger Lives (1950)/ Tension (1950)
Robert Mitchum, playing a doctor smitten with desire for a beautiful patient (Faith Domergue) who’s brought in after an attempted suicide, journeys Where Danger Lives when the would-be lovebirds go on the lam. Ahead is Mexico, miles back is the husband’s (Claude Rains) corpse. But the final destination for the illicit pair could be a dead end in this dark gem of a film directed by John Farrow (The Big Clock).

Noir favorite Audrey Totter (The Set-Up) leaves her mousy but devoted spouse (Richard Basehart) for another man, and the Tension mounts as he plots revenge, then sees his plan take an unexpected turn. Cyd Charisse, Barry Sullivan and William Conrad co-star in a bitter tale of the postwar American dream frayed into nightmare.

Special Features:

Where Danger Lives
Commentary by Alain Silver and James Ursini
Where Danger Lives: White Rose for Julie
Theatrical Trailer

Tension
Commentary by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward with Audrey Trotter
Tension: Who’s Guilty Now?
Theatrical Trailer
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64624
Old 04-16-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's good news that Warners didn't skimp on the extras when expanding the set. Looking forward to all these titles!
Old 04-16-07, 05:46 PM

Too bad Cornered didn't make the cut this time - maybe it was too long to be part of a double-feature disc. But that's a minor complaint - this looks like a great set for a very attractive price.
Old 04-22-07, 09:12 PM
Banned

Cover art for Vol 4 here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64624

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.