Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bought Xbox360 last week and build date is 12/10/05?!?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone, need your sage advice and wisdom on something...

Finally decided to take the plunge and get a 360. Bought it at Microcenter since they had the rebate offer. Anyway, I got it home, opened her up and noticed the build date said 12/10/05! If only I realized at the time that if you lift up the tab on the box you can see the serial # and build date right there... DOH! And to top that, when I gently move the system around I can hear something rattling around inside. Just my luck. :-(

I've been reading about many of the overheating and other issues people have been reporting. Also I think M$ extended their warranty from 90 days to 1 year only on those systems built prior to 1/1/06 so it seems even they admit there are issues with the first run systems. Now I realize most people only post about problems rather than the positive so here are my concerns:

1. Have you had any issues with your system?
2. Should I be concerned with the older build date/rattling and any potential issues that may come up?
3. Should I exchange it for a newer one? (note, Microcenter only has a 7 day return policy which has expired so I'm at their mercy)
4. Any comments to put my fears to rest?

I've played it for about 2 hours total and have had no problems *knocks on wood*. Also, I will be buying the 2 year extended warranty, either from M$ or Microcenter, so either way I'm covered for another 2 years.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-11-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooter
Hey everyone, need your sage advice and wisdom on something...

Finally decided to take the plunge and get a 360. Bought it at Microcenter since they had the rebate offer. Anyway, I got it home, opened her up and noticed the build date said 12/10/05! If only I realized at the time that if you lift up the tab on the box you can see the serial # and build date right there... DOH! And to top that, when I gently move the system around I can hear something rattling around inside. Just my luck. :-(

I've been reading about many of the overheating and other issues people have been reporting. Also I think M$ extended their warranty from 90 days to 1 year only on those systems built prior to 1/1/06 so it seems even they admit there are issues with the first run systems. Now I realize most people only post about problems rather than the positive so here are my concerns:

1. Have you had any issues with your system?
2. Should I be concerned with the older build date/rattling and any potential issues that may come up?
3. Should I exchange it for a newer one? (note, Microcenter only has a 7 day return policy which has expired so I'm at their mercy)
4. Any comments to put my fears to rest?

I've played it for about 2 hours total and have had no problems *knocks on wood*. Also, I will be buying the 2 year extended warranty, either from M$ or Microcenter, so either way I'm covered for another 2 years.

Thanks for your help!
Your 360 was built the same day as mine I've had no problems. That being said you should still try your damndest to return it for a new one. Argue till your blue in the face about them trying to sell you a unit that has known defects AND there is some shit rattling around on the inside of the unit. I'm pretty sure mine didn't come with that little bonus.

But again if you somehow get stuck with that unit; I've had no problems with mine at all.
Old 12-11-06, 01:30 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to buy the extended warranty anyhow, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like you have an equal chance of something going bad, whether new or old.

My new-ish 360 (bought in November) had a 6/2006 manufacture date.
Old 12-11-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought mine Friday and it has a 10/2006 date.
Old 12-11-06, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

I had to return my first 360 that my wife bought because it was previously used but Meijer sold it as new. The way I could tell was that there was already a user profile - showing games played, saved and their gamer score. I would return it for another one but that depends on if you want to spend the time going to the store and standing in line.

Either way you are going to enjoy the 360. May I suggest buying Gears of War. Fantastic game and good multiplayer. you could even buy Tom Clancey's Rainbow 6: Vegas. Both are great games.
Old 12-11-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided to keep it since I'm getting the 2 year extended warranty from M$. There is no guarantee if I get a newer model that I won't have any problems with that one. Besides, the extended warranty kind of makes both systems equal anyway.

Oh, I did find out (at least from posts on other forums) that the rattle sound is normal. There is a level gauge or indicator in the box so it know if you place your system horiz or vertically... has something to do with lighting up the controller quadrants on the front.

I also figured out the Xbox wireless adapter problem I was having. It turns out you shouldn't use the MAC address listed on the back of the adapter, you have to use the console's MAC address. Wish the adapter's instructions would have mentioned that initially.

I do have another question regarding overheating. My wife is insisting that I put the system in a cabinet in our brand new entertainment center since the console doesn't look "pretty enough" for her, sheesh, gotta love em right? . The cabinet is approx. 24"w x 27"d x 24"h and the only ventilation is a small hole in the back 3" diam for the cords. Obviously I will have the front cabinet door wide open while I play, but do you think I may have overheating issues?

Thanks again

PS - Yes, I have GoW and it rocks!
Old 12-11-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gooter
I decided to keep it since I'm getting the 2 year extended warranty from M$. There is no guarantee if I get a newer model that I won't have any problems with that one. Besides, the extended warranty kind of makes both systems equal anyway.

Oh, I did find out (at least from posts on other forums) that the rattle sound is normal. There is a level gauge or indicator in the box so it know if you place your system horiz or vertically... has something to do with lighting up the controller quadrants on the front.

I also figured out the Xbox wireless adapter problem I was having. It turns out you shouldn't use the MAC address listed on the back of the adapter, you have to use the console's MAC address. Wish the adapter's instructions would have mentioned that initially.

I do have another question regarding overheating. My wife is insisting that I put the system in a cabinet in our brand new entertainment center since the console doesn't look "pretty enough" for her, sheesh, gotta love em right? . The cabinet is approx. 24"w x 27"d x 24"h and the only ventilation is a small hole in the back 3" diam for the cords. Obviously I will have the front cabinet door wide open while I play, but do you think I may have overheating issues?

Thanks again

PS - Yes, I have GoW and it rocks!
On the heating issue, I have mine in an entertainment center with access to open air from the front and back. In your case, even though the front would be open when playing, I'd be a bit skeptical if that would be enough. Some of it depends on how much space would be behind the 360 for it to draw air from the front. I've had no problems... I suspect you'll hear from people on both sides of the issue.
Old 12-11-06, 04:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was built in nov/05 with no problems. I replaced it after a year just because i could but thats another story.
Old 12-11-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Whew!! iIhad to double check mine I got from B.B last month and it had 04-16-2006.

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Old 12-11-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That rattling is normal. Does it sound like plastic hitting plastic in a short distance? Mine did this and confirmed that two of my friends did this too. Mine had a build date of june-2006.
Old 12-11-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok first of all I wouldn't worry to much about build date as M$ says they'll allow one free repair on any unit built before Jan 01 06. But then again its also M$ take it for what you will.

Mine like MANY MANY others have died for whatever reason, don't believe me just do a search for 3 ring of death, or 3 blinking lights and you'll see just how widespread is...

They want $130 or more to fix the problem. Theres no way on this earth after doing a search last week and seeing the widespread issues the 360 has with it. Class action is being worked on as we speak. Although in the end always do nothing for the people with the problems.

Of course there are people with no problems, even old units. Even people who gave it extra cooling, no not that add on thing that itself can cause other issues. I tell you nothing makes me happier when someone who posts several times that they have no issue yet to only come back 5 months later saying damn I have the 3 red lights blinking issue. Only then will this issue get the attention it deserves.

Tell the wife she can buy the next one when this one fails. But what Id really do is call M$ use their $60 warrenty if you can still do that, if not like I mentioned they told me on the phone 3 times they'll fix any 360 prior to build date 1-01-06, which of course mine was build date of 1-18-06....lucky me.
Old 12-12-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "one free repair" program only lasts until 12/31/06, so I'd definitely worry about build date.
Old 12-12-06, 06:32 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Ok first of all I wouldn't worry to much about build date as M$ says they'll allow one free repair on any unit built before Jan 01 06. ...they'll fix any 360 prior to build date 1-01-06, which of course mine was build date of 1-18-06....lucky me.
I heard they mean that they extended the warranty for a year, its not on an unlimited warranty just because of the build date.
Old 12-12-06, 11:43 AM
fab

From what I understand the rattle sound is normal and is how the XBOX 360 can detect whether the unit is in the horizontal or vertical position.
Old 12-12-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I heard they mean that they extended the warranty for a year, its not on an unlimited warranty just because of the build date.
Nope...IGN reported when the story first broke that they'd take returns on them until 1/1/07.