Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Jet Li's Fearless'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-11-06, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of Jet Li's Fearless at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25571 and...

Thanks for the review. Isn't there another, longer, international cut that had Michelle Yeoh in it? I guess since even the "unrated" cut is 105 minutes, the 150 minute cut is not included in this release...

Last edited by cornyt; 12-11-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-11-06, 01:34 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Michelle Yeoh was originally in the movie but was cut to keep the movie trim. I could be wrong, but I don't think any version with her has ever been released. If so, it's on some special edition import. You could try our International forum and see if anyone there knows.
Old 12-11-06, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jamieoni
Michelle Yeoh was originally in the movie but was cut to keep the movie trim. I could be wrong, but I don't think any version with her has ever been released. If so, it's on some special edition import. You could try our International forum and see if anyone there knows.
Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you're right. I guess I'm so used to Asian films being butchered when they get released in America that I expected it was the case with this one as well.

In all honesty, I don't see how the extra 40 minutes could've improved matters anyway. While I enjoyed the movie, it already felt a little too bloated.
Old 12-12-06, 02:25 PM

http://www.epinions.com/content_259929116292
Tissue Required

Author's Product Rating
Bang For The Buck

Pros
Great work from Li, and a good story.

Cons
It could use a better soundtrack.

The Bottom Line
Fearless is a worthy farewell from the martial arts master who has kept us entertained with his furious skills for well over twenty years.

Full Review
I knew I was saying a goodbye of sorts, but I wasn't really prepared for the emotional overflow of Huo Yuan Jia, AKA Jet Li's Fearless. Ronny Yu, the director, is best known stateside for Bride of Chucky and Freddy vs Jason. The only movie I really enjoyed of his was Formula 51, so I was curious as to why Li would choose Ronny to direct that which would be his last martial arts film. As it turns out, Ronny did a fine job afterall.

Yuanjia's story is a perfect vehicle for Li. We get to see several great fight scenes showcasing the Mi Zong style, which is a lot of fancy footwork and long, hard punches somehow sewn together with a grace reminiscent of Tai Chi. While there are a lot of high jumps and mid-air twists, the wire-suspended ballet from films such as Crouching Tiger or Hero are not present in Fearless. Instead, Li gives us scene after scene showcasing his amazing skills, with fancy camera work and effects only barely interrupting the fluidity of a series of moves.

Fearless begins with many fights, and keeps giving them to you throughout the film, but the movie takes it's time laying out the entire journey. Beginning with a young Yuanjia in the small town of Tianjin, and culminating in Shanghai, the viewer is invited to soak up the complex scenery, the intricate costumes (which even when subtle are amazing) and follow along with the story. Some people complain about reading subtitles during a film, but you will have no problem keeping up with the simple, yet poignant themes of loss, regret, pride, and triumph that are at the heart of Fearless.

While the other actors in the film are great (Yong Dong as Yuanjia's lifelong friend, Jinsun, is particularly good), make no mistake that this is Li's movie. Li does a fantastic job of moving from the boastful and proud younger Yuanjia to the weathered and wise hero he becomes. It is, however, sometimes hard to meld Li fully into the character. You will understand Yuanjia's achievements, but in the last scenes of Li gracefully practicing moves on a cliff, you will feel that you are really recognizing Li and saying goodbye to the person who has so amazed you with his talent.

The locations and sets in Fearless range from the dusty, crowded streets of Tianjin to the peaceful, lush farmlands of China. Although the locations are bustling and alive, something about the film seemed a bit colorless- as if the saturation had been taken out just a bit. This adds to a feeling of being transported back to another time, and makes some scenes more powerful when they do add in full color.

My biggest issue with Fearless was the lack of great soundtrack. The music is spotty and inconsistent. I could not attribute any one song with the movie, and I felt it really needed something to tie all of the scenes together. Other warnings that you should know are that Yuanjia's family is a bit upset about one of the facts altered in the film (Yuanjia had more than one child) the poisoning presented in Fearless was never substantiated, and parents should be advised that there is a little bit of blood. On the parental upside there is no nudity, sex scenes, or all out gore.

I started watching Fearless with that awestruck, "Oh cool!" kind of feeling that I get when watching most martial arts movies. By the final scenes, I was making a real effort not to cry. The power of the ending isn't something you will see coming, even with me saying that you won't see it coming. Would Fearless be worth it if this were not Li's last martial arts film? Absolutely. It is well written, a great story, and beautifully choreographed. I recommend seeing this on the big screen to take it all in and to see Li stepping off the stage in a bursting display of glory.

Recommended:
Yes

Film Completeness: Looked complete to me.
Worst Part of this Film: Music

Last edited by hikura3; 12-13-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 02:50 PM

http://www.epinions.com/Jet_Li_s_Fea...splay_~reviews

Old 12-13-06, 12:54 AM

http://www.sfwushu.net/misc/20060108...i_fearless.wmv
Trivia
Nathan Jones took a fall badly during filming and almost lost several teeth. He refused medical attention and kept filming.
Old 12-19-06, 12:42 PM

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...ess?q=fearless