Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 ----> 3/27/07 (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 ----> 3/27/07 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 ----> 3/27/07

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 in March

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection Volume 2 for 27th March 2007. Warner will debut five more all-time favourite films starring Errol Flynn – whose combination of natural athleticism and magnetic good looks made him one of the most popular and highly paid stars of the ‘30s and ‘40s. The Collection follows in the footsteps of the successful 2005 Volume One collection and offers yet another opportunity to experience Flynn as a soldier, boxer, pilot, swashbuckler, and always a star. The films included are Adventures of Don Juan, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Dive Bomber and Gentleman Jim.

Each DVD features adventurous extras such as director/historian commentaries, Oscar-nominated film shorts, classic cartoons and vintage newsreels. The titles will be priced individually at $19.97 SRP and Errol Flynn: The Signature Collection, Volume 2, a five-disc set, will be available for $49.92 SRP.

Adventures of Don Juan (1948) – Errol Flynn made his name portraying dashing heroes who clasped a sword in one hand and a maiden in the other. Audiences loved Flynn’s devil-may-care bravado as much as they admired his athletic grace and astonishing good looks. Filmed in glorious Technicolor, Adventures of Don Juan was Flynn’s first swashbuckler in eight years – and a glorious reprise it is, directed with gusto by Vincent Sherman. In the title role, Flynn is a wiser, warmer, wittier version of his earlier characters as he rescues the Spanish queen (Viveca Lindfors) from the snares of an evil duke. Oscar®-winning costumes and superb sets (including a knockout grand staircase) create a lavish atmosphere for dalliances with married beauties, narrow dungeon escapes and plenty of duels.

Special Features Include:
Commentary by director Vincent Sherman and historian Rudy Behlmer
Warner Night at the Movies 1948 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Joe McDoakes comedy short So You Want to Be on the Radio
Oscar-nominated travel short Calgary Stampede
Classic Looney Tunes cartoon Hare Splitter
Trailers of Adventures of Don Juan and 1948’s Silver River
Subtitles: English (Feature Film Only)

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) - Inspired by history and Tennyson’s poem (“Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred”), The Charge of the Light Brigade tells the tale of a band of British Lancers who challenge an army of 25,000 Russians. The film’s highlight: the charge itself, a masterful, pulse-pounding nine minutes of thundering hoofs and flashing sabers that stands up magnificently against any Hollywood action scene of today – and brought 1936’s Best Assistant Director Oscar® to Jack Sullivan for his staging of the vaunted sequence. Errol Flynn, fresh off his success as Captain Blood, stars as the leader of the 600 horsemen. Olivia de Havilland, his Captain Blood leading lady, co-stars. And legendary composer Max Steiner makes his Warner Bros. debut a memorable one with his stirring, heroic musical score.

Warner Night at the Movies 1936 Short Subjects Gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Oscar-winning drama short Give Me Liberty
Comedy short Shop Talk with Bob Hope
Classic cartoon Boom Boom
Trailers of The Charge of the Light Brigade and 1936’s Anthony Adverse
Subtitles: English (feature film only)

The Dawn Patrol (1938) – Errol Flynn and David Niven take to the skies in this thrilling aerial action yarn as World War I British flyboys who, whether quaffing down beers or gunning down their German foes, unite in devil-may-care gallantry and in disdain for their commander (Basil Rathbone). But war’s realities will soon tarnish their bonhomie and change their disdain to understanding. They will also become commanders, forced each dawn to send young poorly-trained recruits in patched-up aircraft to certain death. Its superior pacing, performances and style, combined with amazing dogfights above and a haunting indictment of war’s futility below, make The Dawn Patrol a soaring classic of guts and glory.

Warner Night at the Movies 1938 short subjects gallery:
Vintage newsreel
Musical shorts The Prisoner of Swing and Romance Road
Classic Cartoon What Price Porky?
Trailers of The Dawn Patrol and 1938’s Four’s a Crowd
Subtitles: English & Español (feature film only)

Dive Bomber (1941) – Dive Bomber is a stirring, authentic Technicolor tale about getting ready for war. Flynn portrays a flight medical researcher and Fred MacMurray plays a squadron commander, flyboys who put differences aside and risk all to confront the problems of blackout-inducing G-forces and high-altitude sickness. Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) directs from a script co-written by aviation pioneer Frank “Spig” Wead (the biopic subject of John Wayne’s The Wings of Eagles). And destined for wartime greatness was the aircraft carrier seen in several scenes: the USS Enterprise, the nation’s most decorated World War II ship.

New Featurette Dive Bomber: Keep ’Em in the Air
Theatrical Trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

Gentleman Jim (1942) – In one of his biggest box-office hits, Errol Flynn portrays dapper James C. Corbett, whose style in and out of the ring helped bring acceptability to what had been an unsanctioned, back-room sport. The role was a Flynn favorite, and he rigorously schooled himself in the gliding footwork, deft jabbing, feinting and left-hooking that were Corbett trademarks. Raoul Walsh, director of seven Flynn films, balances bravura fisticuffs with family vignettes and flirtatious romance (Alexis Smith is Flynn’s co-star). And Ward Bond plays heavyweight champ, John L. Sullivan, a legendary ring king dethroned by the clever but tough “Gentleman Jim.”

Warner Night at the Movies 1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
Vintage Newsreel
Sports shorts Shoot Yourself Some Golf (with Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman) and The Right Timing
Classic Cartoon Foney Fables
Trailers of Gentleman Jim and 1942’s The Male Animal
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Show Adaptation with Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith and Ward Bond
Subtitles: English & Español (Feature Film Only)

Each DVD will be presented in a format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition. All are in Dual-Layer format.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63501
Old 12-11-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
This is the box set I've been waiting for!
Old 12-11-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome news. can't wait
Old 12-11-06, 03:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Fantastic news.
Old 12-11-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A much better selection than I expected... I guess I'll finally have to pick up those old WB snappers of The Master Of Ballantrae, The Prince and the Pauper, etc... (I'd held off on those titles, in fear that WHV would put some/all of them in this collection.)

It would have been nice, however, if WB had rescued Santa Fe Trail from PD Hell, perhaps as an "exclusive bonus disc" for this set. (I picked up the Roan version of the film for cheap...not a bad DVD, but not great one, either.)
Old 12-14-06, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
YAY!!! I love the first Box Set, So I'll pick this one up.
Old 12-14-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, this one is even more appealing than the first box set!
Old 12-17-06, 08:38 PM
Banned

Cover arts here:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63501
Old 12-22-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i guess the site is down?
Old 12-23-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
i guess the site is down?
I just checked...it's back up with cover art for the box set and individual keep cases.
Old 12-24-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...minus 'Don Juan', I had been DREAMING of a boxset with the other titles. Though in my dream set, 'Edge of Darkness' was the fifth title, I suppose this is close enough to make me VERY happy!
Old 02-01-07, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dawn Patrol lands on DVD- Finally

This movie was and still is my favorite B&W movie of all.

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Patrol-Er...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

March 27, 2007 release. First release ever on dvd. Errol Flynn also has a collection coming out same time. Does anyone remember another movie during same time that was about German dirigibles over Britain. I'm thinking that movie won an academy award way back then. Also is Flyboys a good movie?
Old 02-01-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this also. I'll be adding the Errol Flynn Collection #2 right next to my first one.
The movie you're thinking of might be Howard Hughe's "Hell's Angels." Haven't seen Flyboys yet so can't help there.
Old 02-01-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

being discussed here

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ht=Errol+Flynn
Old 02-01-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-01-07, 11:30 AM

Why would they include the Classic Cartoon What Price Porky? on the Dawn Patrol DVD and NOT the 1964 Bugs cartoon "Dumb Patrol"?

[Image "dumb_patrol.jpg" removed because it seems to have been replaced by an ad. D-]

Last edited by Dead; 02-02-07 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by BobSolo
Why would they include the Classic Cartoon What Price Porky? on the Dawn Patrol DVD and NOT the 1964 Bugs cartoon "Dumb Patrol"?
Because Prince Porky came out the same time as Dawn Patrol, and was likely screened with the movie at the same showings, hence Warners' "Night at the Movies". Dumb Patrol came out almost 30 years later.
Old 03-29-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

got this at same for 34.88
Old 03-31-07, 09:18 AM

This set can be bought for $30.77 if you use the Warner Deal in the Bargains Forum