Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

who bought SNL season one?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't think of a reason to buy this...I'm sure the jokes are dated and I didn't watch it regularly until the 3rd or 4th season...but I appreciate the effort to release the entire season, so I bought it to encourage the release of others. I hope they do something interesting like release them out of order, like jump to the first good Murphy/Piscopo season or release each 10 year anniversary season then go back again....anyway, if you bought this, let me know which episode to start with...the only early episode I remember is some band singing "what's the word, Johannesburg" which didn't really get me psyched to watch more. Wasn't really happy with musical guests until Elvis Costello....I think I'll start with the Patti Smith episode....

so I've been watching this and it's a truly mixed bag of sketches and performances...it's funny how some writing from the first season seems like just throw-away bits that were "good enough" for the inaugural season. There's an awful lot of winking at the camera to remind the tv audience that the show is live and a few guest hosts even begin their appearance with the obligatory "I've never done live TV before" speech. So, some of this is kind of juvenile, Chevy falls, Chevy flubs his lines, and the Muppets think they're hip when the audience isn't high enough to agree. But then there are good moments, lots of risque bits about douches, a braless Raquel Welch is asked several times to take off her top and finally does, but the gag is blown because the blue-screen technology isn't perfected yet...but I'm still watching because the early magic is there....you can see it forming when Belushi parodies Joe Cocker and even the roughly-edited short films show it when garbagemen talk about their jobs....I wish somebody else would mention that they bought this and post their thoughts.....

Last edited by f1shf00d; 12-16-06 at 08:04 PM. Reason: additions