Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22256 and...

I think the guys who are doing these review have been at their job way to long. Every review I have read, seems to take the same sarcastic tone to cutting down a movie and it's flaws. These guys need to step back and take a look in the mirror.

Garfield movies are aimed at a target audience. Specifically children ages 5 to 12 and the lovers of the Jim Davis comic strip. Kids do love these movies. And I think that in both movies, the comedy in them, is at a level where a young child can understand and relate.

If you have read the Garfield comic stips through out the years. You will notice many things are similar in the moveies. All the things that these guys bitch about in fact. But the biggest one that caught my attention is when he said "Odie was not given a chance to talk" Odie doesn't speak. Not even in the comic strips. Get a clue, I think these movies are very well done for the audience that they are directed at. My 5 year olds' eyes lit up when watched the first Garfield, and when she saw there was a second she got so excited.

These guys really should take a more diverse look when reviewing movies. I wouldn't take their opinions on any reviews they give, because as I said. They are all the same.
Old 12-08-06, 10:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I tend to agree, although it should be noted that Geoff posted a thread to the forum where he gave his kid's "review" (they hated the movie). My kids (2 & 5) like this, but not as much as the first.
Old 12-08-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you wouldn't use their opinions yet you did and posted a thread about it? Besides I think everyone understands that kids would like it but I'm not reading a nickelodeon review for the film. There are many animated films or films that are targeted to the young ones that any adult can enjoy. This is an adult review for adults and that is fine with me. Even though I don't agree with a lot of opinions and reviews here I still consider a decent enough job these guys do for me to come back and read them even from reviewers I don't agree with. Is not personal. So your daughter loved it, well good for her she is the targeted audience and is understood that someone her age might enjoy it. I think it would be an understatement to say that most adults did not like this movie nor the first one and that's not an attack on anyone's family member that liked it.

I do agree with you that everyone should know that Odie does not speak and never has.
Old 12-08-06, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Odie has had a couple lines in the comic strip, but yeah, I wouldn't expect him to speak in the movie.

Last edited by Groucho; 12-08-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-08-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Since this was brought up, does anyone know whether the DVD has the theatrical cut in widescreen, or can you only watch the longer version in widescreen and the theatrical cut in foolscreen? I ask because a few Fox titles like From Justin To Kelly (guilty pleasure!) only indicate "extended version" on the cover, but do in fact also let you see the theatrical cut through seamless branching. I'm a purist; I want the versions that were in the theaters for better or worse. If Garfield II only has the extended version, this'll be the first time Fox has left out the true theatrical version.
Old 12-08-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
And what the hell happened to Lyman anyways? I'm afraid he's tied up in the basement for all these years or something.

Anyways, I'm 32 years old and there's plenty of stuff meant for kids that I watch because it's written well enough for adults to enjoy too. "Kiddy" does not mean "vapid fart jokes".
Old 12-08-06, 10:15 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread has some "kid's point of view" reviews of this movie (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....light=garfield).
Old 12-08-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garfield the Movie should have been more like this: