Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtapes: Reviews & Impressions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

To everyone involved, emails have gone out today (12/6). This thread is reserved for discussion, etc. If someone wants to start a new group, feel free to do so but please do it in another thread as I won't be running the next one.

Participants: auto, Big Dave, cusm, Damfino, das Monkey, DJ Linus, DrRingDing, hal9000, maxfisher, Rypro525, Shiv Shankly, SomethingMore, Tarantino, The Bus, Vryce, wendersfan.

e-Participants: atlantamoi, Cerulean, Cosmic Bus, DVD Josh, Ghostface180, look4sheep. (Some of the regular participants also took part).

<hr>

Thread Rules

1. DO NOT under any circumstance, post any links or URLs to any material unless you have the authorization of the copyright owner.
2. I suggest not posting playlists if you are the sender, so they remain a surprise. However, if you do post playlists, please spoilerize them. Feel free to post any album covers, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by The Bus; 12-06-06 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Mail participants: please note that my zip code is incorrect. The Bus should be sending out a correction.
Old 12-06-06, 12:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm really annoyed that I couldn't participate in this, this last past week and half have been really busy for me...

2. I suggest not posting playlists if you are the sender, so they remain a surprise. However, if you do post playlists, please spoilerize them. Feel free to post any album covers, etc.
or email them to me... (auto, atlantamoi, DJ Linus, Rypro525, The Bus, wendersfan ).
Old 12-06-06, 01:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
shouldn't be a big deal, but my address should have "Apt", not "Apot". Thanks for including a lowly canadian like myself! Let the games begin!
Old 12-06-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bus, thanks for taking the time to compile this. Even though I'm just a puny Sendspacer, I'm looking forward to getting home tonight to check out the mixes!
Old 12-06-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show Me the Way or: How to Destroy Your Cred in Five Languages

das
Old 12-06-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Guys, let's please keep the discussion to the other thread and the reviews to this one or it will get messy
Old 12-06-06, 02:37 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Sweet!
Old 12-06-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Listening to Cerulan's mix right now. I'm not sure on the rules, so I will spoilerize my comments when mentioning track listings. I find it interesting how different musical tastes can be. I don't share much in common in Cerulan, but I can see why he likes what he does in the context of his mix.

I enjoyed about 1/3 of the songs, but there are some real gems on the mix:

Spoiler:

PJ Harvey - Down by the Water
FOW - Troubled Times
Keane - Bedshaped
Imogen Heap - Headlock

I could get never get into to some of the artists on the mix, but that's what makes this cool, the overlap. What I'm curious about is what he thinks of mine
Old 12-06-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The other thread's closed, so I'll ask here: is there a preferred method for burning an audio CD? I've done everything in compressed formats for so many years that I'm out of touch with WAV. I did a test burn with CDBurner XP Pro before preparing to mail to everyone, and it played fine on my home PC and work PC, but neither my portable nor my car player could recognize any data on the disc.

If this is a better question for the Tech forum, I can move it there, but I figure since we're all doing the same thing here, it might be good to throw out for discussion.

das
Old 12-07-06, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
The other thread's closed, so I'll ask here: is there a preferred method for burning an audio CD? I've done everything in compressed formats for so many years that I'm out of touch with WAV. I did a test burn with CDBurner XP Pro before preparing to mail to everyone, and it played fine on my home PC and work PC, but neither my portable nor my car player could recognize any data on the disc.

If this is a better question for the Tech forum, I can move it there, but I figure since we're all doing the same thing here, it might be good to throw out for discussion.

das
One suggestion is that in some cases when discs are not finalized after the burn process they will not play in some stereos, so I would check in your Burn Options to see if Finalize Disc is enabled.

Another possibility, although a very unlikely one, is that you made an data cd by accident instead of an audio cd.
Old 12-07-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure I finalized the disc, and it's definitely audio. Oh well -- I checked my disc on two separate DVD players after posting, and it works on them too. I'll mess around with a few other options, but I may just let it go like this.

das
Old 12-07-06, 04:41 AM

Hey Bus, did you password protect your file? Can't seem to extract it.
Old 12-07-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cosmic Bus, NICE mix. I'm only half way through, but it struck me how completely silly it is to ever hear a comment about how no good music is being made today. What a load. I know this with my own music choices, but it's being brought to light again with your list in that I don't even recognize half of your artists. Good going!

Spoiler:
M. Craft, Gotye and Phelan Sheppard were all songs I thought were damn good and I'd never heard of these folks. Same goes for Asobi Seksu, which I'm going to have to dig into since I love looking at my shoes (I see The Bus also included this band on his mix). I've never been a Grant Lee Phillips fan, but their choice of cover song is pretty cool. Take THAT Frente!

Last edited by atlantamoi; 12-07-06 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My password is music --- I sent a follow up email but it may have gotten lost in the mix (pun intended).

(This message will self-destruct).
Old 12-07-06, 08:32 AM

The Bus, have you sent out all the emails with addresses? I never got one.
Old 12-07-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

atlantamoi - Up the Down Escalator

Wow. I knew I was in for a treat when I realized I had never heard of 27 of the 28 artists in the mix and the ones I had heard of (Mekons) I couldn't even place them. This mix is awesome and it's very well done. The songs are varied but it keeps its mood and sonic palette in a very specific time and place.
Old 12-07-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't get a password email either (or an address correction email or an email that had my mix listed in it). I'm having all kinds of trouble with my provider right now, though, so the problem could be on my end.

das
Old 12-07-06, 09:36 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
atlantamoi: Nice.

A bunch of really awesome tracks there. I haven't actually listened to it yet, but I'm familiar with most of the tunes. Kudos!
Old 12-07-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll be resending the emails using GMail just in case it's a problem with my provider. I got some errors about delivery on my end but also got responses from people (that I got an error message on), so who knows.

<hr>

Cosmic Bus - Gaining a Good Harbor

Wow! Another great one. I think it's amazing how this mix (as well as atlantamoi's) creates so much cohesion out of so many different bands. This is definitely another very listenable mix and (not to spoil the surprise) but we had an overlapping artist. I definitely want to check out more on these artists, almost all who I haven't heard of.

Up next: Cerulean's mix.
Old 12-07-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

cerulean - DVDTalk Mixtape

This one definitely starts off different than the others. Very interesting. A lot artists and songs almost made it on my mix:

Spoiler:
I had Stereophonics - Dakota until the last minute when I replaced it

I think all the songs are cool
Spoiler:
(well maybe except for Indigo Girls )

but they seem to be a bit out of order. I definitely like all of them and some of the tracks were by artists I knew but didn't know the song. I'd re-arrange tracks if this was my mix. But it's not, and I won't. Thanks for making this one.

Up next: das Monkey
Old 12-07-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bus, sorry I missed your msg -- I was at lunch. I used WinZip 10.0 to compress the file. It probably uses a newer algorithm or something that other apps can't handle.

das
Old 12-07-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus

Wow. I knew I was in for a treat when I realized I had never heard of 27 of the 28 artists in the mix and the ones I had heard of (Mekons) I couldn't even place them. This mix is awesome and it's very well done. The songs are varied but it keeps its mood and sonic palette in a very specific time and place.
Thanks much. There are definitely a few of those bands worth investigating some more.

atlantamoi: Nice.

A bunch of really awesome tracks there. I haven't actually listened to it yet, but I'm familiar with most of the tunes. Kudos!
Well, I just hope that it has a couple of little songs that are eye (ear) opening. But I'm sure some of us 80's lovers will know many/most of the songs. Thanks.
Old 12-07-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really nice mix. It takes me back to another time. Most are songs I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to on their own, but compiled onto a cohesive mix like this, they make for a great 80-minute departure to a particular emotional place. It's the kind of mix you listen to from start to finish, instead of hopping from track to track, which IMO is what a good mix CD should be.

das
Old 12-07-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey

Really nice mix. It takes me back to another time. Most are songs I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to on their own, but compiled onto a cohesive mix like this, they make for a great 80-minute departure to a particular emotional place. It's the kind of mix you listen to from start to finish, instead of hopping from track to track, which IMO is what a good mix CD should be.

das
Gracias... it's funny because I tossed away a bunch of tunes that could have made much more cohesion, but I wanted a little variety. I really miss making cassette mixes. I know you can take Mp3s or CD cuts and rearrange them before deciding the final order, but it used to be so much fun to grab a ton of albums, a couple of beers and have to record each song in real time (and thereby being fully immersed in the mood). I guess that's what club DJ's do, but it can still be a lot of fun at home. I remember being disappointed the first time I made a CD on the computer because I couldn't listen to each song while recording and add as the mood struck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.