DVD Talk
Applying for Life Insurance: How long for tobacco to leave system? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Applying for Life Insurance: How long for tobacco to leave system?

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 10:11 AM
I smoke cigars, perhaps 2 to 3 per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Want to buy life insurance but don't want smoker rates. How long does it take tobacco to leave the system? Any tricks to expedite the cleansing of tobacco in the system?

Does the fact that I do a 1 hour kickboxing regimen daily and live off lowfat smoothies filled with raspberries/blueberries help my situation out in this matter?

covenant
12-06-06, 10:26 AM
how does one test for tobacco?

nevermind...found it: urine.

Nicotine is a very unstable drug. When a person uses tobacco, the body immediately breaks nicotine down into about 97 different metabolites, the most stable of which is cotinine. With a cotinine urinary drug test from Home Health Testing®, you can reliably determine if a person is using tobacco. Cotinine stays in a person's system for a period of 2 to 4 days.

Pistol Pete
12-06-06, 10:43 AM
You may want to rethink that plan there. Insurance companies will perform a cursory evaluation when they sign you up but when you kick off, they may do some more in-depth post-mortem records analysis.

Do you really want to pay for life insurance for decades only to have the insurance company deny the claim because your medical records that they review shows that you lied on the initial application? It can and does happen.

Red Dog
12-06-06, 10:47 AM
Well, he'll be dead then, and at that point I doubt he'll be regretting how he spent/lost his money. ;)

kaze0
12-06-06, 10:47 AM
You do realise you'll be fucked if you getting a smoking related illness.

Brian Shannon
12-06-06, 10:50 AM
Any tricks to expedite the cleansing of tobacco in the system?

Stop smoking? :hscratch:

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 10:50 AM
I appreciate your concerns re future discovery and/or smoking related illness. However, I get physicals once per year, I am checked for skin cancer twice per year, I'm at the dentist for a cleaning every three months, etc. I take care of myself. I think that the chances that death would be b/c I smoke a few stogies per week is very slim, and any sign that trouble would be on the horizon from smoking these few stogies would likely be caught by one of my physicians. I never claim I'm a smoker on forms because of the infrequency and amount of my smoking. I exercise like a mother fucker and eat very good. So, just like the insurance company is doing, I'm gambling on myself, and I feel like I'm a pretty good bet.

Minor Threat
12-06-06, 10:51 AM

I'm sure it was/will be second hand in nature.....

-wink-

Groucho
12-06-06, 10:53 AM
I thought threads asking advice about illegal activity weren't allowed? The OP is clearly trying to defraud the insurance company here.

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 10:54 AM
I'm sure it was/will be second hand in nature.....

-wink-

I already thought of that if I have I'm ambushed by an MD at my home for a surprise drug/tobacco blood and urine test. I was in Vegas at a blackjack table for two days straight with a chain smoking buddy. ;) I'm confident that this story is a loser, but I can't think of a better one.

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 10:55 AM
I thought threads asking advice about illegal activity weren't allowed? The OP is clearly trying to defraud the insurance company here.

Well, I honestly haven't smoked a stogie in almost 4 weeks b/c its been too cold or too busy. So I guess I've quit.

But I am still concerned about tobacco in the urine/blood because I thought it took longer to leave the system than 2 days.

Minor Threat
12-06-06, 10:57 AM
I'm confident that this story is a loser, but I can't think of a better one.

You were kidnapped by aliens and they shoved cigars up your ass?????

dork
12-06-06, 11:00 AM
I already thought of that if I have I'm ambushed by an MD at my home for a surprise drug/tobacco blood and urine test. I was in Vegas at a blackjack table for two days straight with a chain smoking buddy. ;)
Since what you're risking with cigars is throat cancer, you'll just have to modify the story a bit to explain how you got that from your buddy "seconhand".

Groucho
12-06-06, 11:02 AM
Well, I honestly haven't smoked a stogie in almost 4 weeks b/c its been too cold or too busy. So I guess I've quit.What does the insurance company consider a "smoker"? Perhaps a cigar now and then is okay under their rules.

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 11:07 AM
What does the insurance company consider a "smoker"? Perhaps a cigar now and then is okay under their rules.

I think I'm borderline, honestly. I was speaking to the agent today and we discussed the cigar issue. I had considered getting this insurance a year ago, but never completed the process b/c of money issues. I had admitted to the company last year that I smoked 2 - 3 per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I wasn't told if that raised the premium, because we didn't get that far. So this morning they still had that info in their computer, and he asked me about it. I told him that during the summer I smoked about 3 or 4 a week, tops, but that recently I haven't smoked in a couple of months (when I've really smoked about 3 in the last two months, none in the last almost 4 weeks). I do think there were some points were I was smoking one per day, sometimes two, depending on my time and weather. He said I get the best non-smoker rate with that amount of smoking over the last year. We didn't go into it more than that. I didn't want to ask too many questions about it so that I appeared worried about it. So perhaps you are right, a few now and then might be ok. But I hesitate to ask simply because I don't want issues during the process, and I don't want my answers to appear inconsistent or to give them any reason to question my answers.

I never formally quit, as we all know. I intend to continue to smoke cigars, and may consider just paying the premium. But since lately I smoke very infrequently and the quantity is low, I hate paying smoker rates when my risk is virtually zero. Its unfathomable that with the amount I smoke I'd pay the same rate as some Kentucky redneck with a cig pocket on his breast that is in the emergency room every other month with his emphysema.

GradVT06
12-06-06, 11:16 AM
Its unfathomable that with the amount I smoke I'd pay the same rate as some Kentucky redneck with a cig pocket on his breast that is in the emergency room every other month with his emphysema.

Not that it matters to you or anything, but you both look the same in my book....

al_bundy
12-06-06, 11:21 AM
my brother used to smoke and he waited 6-9 months from quitting to taking a test for life insurance

al_bundy
12-06-06, 11:22 AM

smoking cigars and cigarettes are two different things. especially if you smoke good cigars

kvrdave
12-06-06, 11:32 AM

I agree. I've been around here a long time, and this is easily the worst thread I have seen.

GradVT06
12-06-06, 11:38 AM
I agree. I've been around here a long time, and this is easily the worst thread I have seen.

KRVDave- i tried to PM you, but I'm not allowed. Just really quickly was wondering if you could take look at my thread (may be on this page) titled "Job/Career question"? someone in that thread said 'paging kvrdave', so I'm assuming maybe you can offer something? sorry to ask in this thread, but no other way to ask you was available. Thanks!

Sdallnct
12-06-06, 11:58 AM
I would not try to withhold your smoking. Not only could their be penalties and claim issues, insurance fraud is not something to mess around with.

I agree don't smoke for the day or two before your test. Get rest and do the best you can on your test. But regardless of how the test comes out, I would be open with your insurance agent about what you do, how much, etc.

kvrdave
12-06-06, 12:33 PM
KRVDave- i tried to PM you, but I'm not allowed. Just really quickly was wondering if you could take look at my thread (may be on this page) titled "Job/Career question"? someone in that thread said 'paging kvrdave', so I'm assuming maybe you can offer something? sorry to ask in this thread, but no other way to ask you was available. Thanks!

will do :)

gordon2
12-06-06, 12:34 PM
After you've had the policy for 2 years, it doesn't matter if they find out what you lied about on the application. I sell life insurance and can guarantee you that you're all good as long as you don't kick it in the next two years.

Altimus Prime
12-06-06, 12:50 PM
Well, he'll be dead then, and at that point I doubt he'll be regretting how he spent/lost his money. ;)

Well, duh. But that's not the point of life insurance. It's not money for yourself - becuase, as you pointed out, you are dead. It's money for your survivors.

That's why it would be a regret. He would have paid for that time, and then his beneficiary would not benefit.

I say either smoke your cigars and take a smoker's rate, or quit and get the non-smoker's rate. How anyone who is apparently so aware of their health and concerned about taking care of themself could compromise and harm their health in this way just amazes me.

The Bus
12-06-06, 01:04 PM
Thanks for raising my life insurance rate.

Please remit me $1/year.

Red Dog
12-06-06, 01:08 PM
Well, duh. But that's not the point of life insurance. It's not money for yourself - becuase, as you pointed out, you are dead. It's money for your survivors.

That's why it would be a regret. He would have paid for that time, and then his beneficiary would not benefit.

I say either smoke your cigars and take a smoker's rate, or quit and get the non-smoker's rate. How anyone who is apparently so aware of their health and concerned about taking care of themself could compromise and harm their health in this way just amazes me.

Yeah - and he won't know whether his family got screwed over or not. He'll be dead.

I don't see the harm in smoking a few cigars a week, particularly if he isn't really inhaling them. :shrug:

VinVega
12-06-06, 01:11 PM
Rather than trying to "trick" the insurance company, I think you should just be upfront with them about it. :shrug:

ukywyldcat
12-06-06, 01:32 PM
Rather than trying to "trick" the insurance company, I think you should just be upfront with them about it. :shrug:

Actually, based on further thought prompted by some of the posts, this is exactly what I intend to do. I'm going to tell them a couple of cigars a month, which is fair, and let the chips fall where they may. But I do intend to abstain from stogies until after my lab work.

One or two of you commented on the attention I have to my good health but include stogies. Its the one thing I do. I don't do drugs, drink very little, lots of exercise, no bad foods, no caffeine, good sleep, etc. But stogies are my one vice. I enjoy them when reading or when driving and stuck in traffic. I'm not a social smoker, in fact, I don't truly enjoy cigars unless I'm by myself. Smoking a cigar is nothing like smoking a cigarette, which I used to do. Sure, I could abstain from a stogie when I'm reading or driving, but I enjoy it.

shoppingbear
12-06-06, 01:51 PM
Sorry to be offtopic, but...
KRVDave- i tried to PM you, but I'm not allowed. Just really quickly was wondering if you could take look at my thread (may be on this page) titled "Job/Career question"? someone in that thread said 'paging kvrdave', so I'm assuming maybe you can offer something? sorry to ask in this thread, but no other way to ask you was available. Thanks! That was me. Dave is in real estate, and you should be able to email him from his user profile (click on his name). This site doesn't have PM's enabled. :)

Minor Threat
12-06-06, 02:00 PM
That was me. Dave is in real estate, and you should be able to email him from his user profile (click on his name). This site doesn't have PM's enabled. :)

This is NOT a DATING FORUM!!!!!

CRM114
12-06-06, 02:10 PM
One or two of you commented on the attention I have to my good health but include stogies. Its the one thing I do. I don't do drugs, drink very little, lots of exercise, no bad foods, no caffeine, good sleep, etc. But stogies are my one vice. I enjoy them when reading or when driving and stuck in traffic. I'm not a social smoker, in fact, I don't truly enjoy cigars unless I'm by myself. Smoking a cigar is nothing like smoking a cigarette, which I used to do. Sure, I could abstain from a stogie when I'm reading or driving, but I enjoy it.

Don't sweat it. Life is too short to not enjoy it.

Its a shame that rates are so high for smokers considering the walking cholesterol sacks who get lower rates.

GradVT06
12-06-06, 02:11 PM
That was me. Dave is in real estate, and you should be able to email him from his user profile (click on his name). This site doesn't have PM's enabled. :)

ah, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was enabled or not, of he just disabled them on his account himself. He posted in the other thread, so I will either talk to him there or if he prefers communicate via email. Thanks for the heads up!

VinVega
12-06-06, 02:12 PM
Actually, based on further thought prompted by some of the posts, this is exactly what I intend to do. I'm going to tell them a couple of cigars a month, which is fair, and let the chips fall where they may. But I do intend to abstain from stogies until after my lab work.

:up::up::up:

I do think that the insurance company will go lighter on you for the cigars vs. cigarettes. I don't have the studies in front of me, but I think you're right about the cigarettes being more harmful to you.

Sdallnct
12-06-06, 08:25 PM

IMHO that is exactly how you should handle. And I totally agree, give yourself every advantage in the Dr's office. In addition to refraining from smoking a day or two, I'd recommend the following:

-set your appointment early in the day as possible. Blood pressure is usually lower in the morning and you are more alert
-don't drink coffee or coke (caffeine)
-if you happen to have a cold or in general don't feel good, reschedule

Lewsiv
12-07-06, 08:53 AM
I would suggest consulting your agent. Ask him if having a few cigars a week really classifies you as a smoker. Most agents want to get you the best rates so he/she will probably try to get you through on the cheap. Alternatively, if you do get the smoking rate and later quit, you can always have the policy re-rated for a non-smoking rate. My wife and I both did it with our life policies.