Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster offering free rentals to Netflix subscribers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blockbuster offering free rentals to Netflix subscribers

Just ran across this article today. I will have to check if my local Blockbuster is partcipating in the offer. Unfortunately I've thrown out all my address flaps from Netflix.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061205/datu010.html?.v=83

BLOCKBUSTER Gives Early Holiday Gift of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access(TM) to Netflix Subscribers
Tuesday December 5, 9:00 am ET
From Dec. 5 Through Dec. 21 Netflix Renters Can Sample the Benefits of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access(TM) By Exchanging Their Online Rental Envelope Flaps for Free In-Store Movie Rentals From BLOCKBUSTER

DALLAS, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Just in time for the holidays, Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI - News, BBI.B - News) is giving Netflix subscribers the opportunity to experience the best of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access(TM), the new program that gives online movie renters the option of returning their DVDs in the mail or exchanging them at a participating BLOCKBUSTER® store for free in-store movie rentals. From Dec. 5 through Dec. 21 current Netflix members can exchange the tear-off address flaps of their Netflix rental envelopes and receive on-the-spot free movie rentals from Blockbuster for every flap they bring in to any of the more than 5,000 participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.

"This holiday season, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is giving Netflix customers the gift of immediate movie gratification," said John Antioco, Blockbuster Chairman and CEO. "We want these movie fans to experience getting the movies they want without the wait so they never have to be without a movie, just like BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscribers."

Netflix subscribers who wish to participate in the program can tear off the address flaps they normally discard when mailing back their DVDs and turn them in at any participating Blockbuster store to receive a free in-store movie rental. They can continue to bring in their envelope flaps and exchange them for free in-store rentals for the duration of the promotion. Netflix customers do not need to subscribe to Blockbuster's online program to participate. To utilize the free store rentals, Netflix customers do need to have a Blockbuster store membership, which they can sign up for on the spot. Store membership is free.

"Many movie rental decisions are made within a few hours of the actual viewing experience, and BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is the only online rental service that can respond to spontaneous rental needs through a retail network as broad as the 5,000 participating BLOCKBUSTER stores nationwide," said Antioco. "We think avid movie fans, including those currently using another online service, will appreciate the flexibility our online rental program provides."

The name on the Netflix tear-off flaps must match the name on the holder's Blockbuster membership account. In-store movie rentals are subject to store rental terms, including due dates, and must be returned to the store from which they were rented.

Netflix subscribers, as well as movie lovers who do not currently subscribe to an online rental service, can experience the full benefits of BLOCKBUSTER Total Access by signing up for a free two-week trial, available for a limited time at http://www.blockbuster.com or in participating BLOCKBUSTER stores. Existing subscribers to Blockbuster's online rental service were automatically upgraded to BLOCKBUSTER Total Access at no extra charge when the program was launched Nov. 1, 2006.

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access is a movie rental program that gives online customers the option of returning their DVDs through the mail or exchanging them at more than 5,000 participating BLOCKBUSTER stores for free in-store movie rentals. When subscribers return their online rentals to a participating store, the store check-in process automatically initiates the process of shipping of the next available movie(s) in the subscriber's rental queue, whether they take advantage of the in-store exchange or not. The program, available only from Blockbuster, gives Total Access subscribers immediate access to a free rental in-store while also speeding up the arrival of the next online rental in their queue.

With more than 60,000 titles to choose from online, Blockbuster delivers DVDs right to subscribers' mailboxes in pre-paid postage return envelopes. There are no due dates or late fees with movies rented from Blockbuster's online rental service, and subscription plans start as low as $5.99 a month, with the $17.99 three-out unlimited movie plan being the most popular.
Old 12-05-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netflix subscribers who wish to participate in the program can tear off the address flaps they normally discard when mailing back their DVDs and turn them in at any participating Blockbuster store to receive a free in-store movie rental. They can continue to bring in their envelope flaps and exchange them for free in-store rentals for the duration of the promotion. Netflix customers do not need to subscribe to Blockbuster's online program to participate. To utilize the free store rentals, Netflix customers do need to have a Blockbuster store membership, which they can sign up for on the spot. Store membership is free.
Wow. I must have a stack of these flaps lying around from past Netflix accounts. Is it finally gonna pay to be a "pack rat"? Who's laughing at my OCD now?!
Old 12-05-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
That's pretty cool. If my local Blockbuster didn't have such a lousy selection, I'd have to take part in this.
Old 12-05-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, Blockbuster is really going full force towards trying to destroy Netflix, and I don't see why it won't work.
Old 12-05-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

xbox69, you cracked me up!
Old 12-06-06, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Wow. I must have a stack of these flaps lying around from past Netflix accounts. Is it finally gonna pay to be a "pack rat"? Who's laughing at my OCD now?!

I'm in the same boat as you except I've never gotten around to shredding them. The question is... do I trust BB to properly discard my address labels so they don't get harvested or should I forgo the promo and just shred them myself?
Old 12-06-06, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
That's pretty cool. If my local Blockbuster didn't have such a lousy selection, I'd have to take part in this.
Agreed. I think I've rented everything at my local BB. You can only watch so many DTV horror flicks...though my BB has an R-rated version of a XXX feature. I think the running time is 17 minutes...!!!
Old 12-06-06, 10:52 AM

No thanks. I'm happy with Netflix and not going to try Blockbuster no matter what.
Old 12-06-06, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by scottp120
No thanks. I'm happy with Netflix and not going to try Blockbuster no matter what.
Hello...it's free!!!
Old 12-06-06, 01:23 PM
Suspended

I love blockbuster online and have never had any problems except one week I didn't have any discs sent to me, one email to them about it and they quickly emailed me vouchers for 3 free in store rentals for my troubles. I love the new look and how I can return my movies I get online back to my local store and get free rentals for each one I return. It's basically unlimited free in store rentals as long as I keep renting online.
Old 12-06-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by scottp120
Well, ok. But you can still be a Netflix customer and take advantage of free movies from Blockbuster for a few weeks. I don't exactly see the downside of "free video rentals" but to each their own.
Old 12-06-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took advantage of this deal today, it went very smoothly. Remembering to return these movies is going to kill me, and I'll probably pay more than a month's fees in late fees alone, but I just can't pass up free movies.
Old 12-06-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, just two days ago I disposed of over 200 Netflix address flaps. That's a shame, no?
Old 12-06-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I'll give it a shot. I've got a couple of labels around here someplace...
Old 12-06-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does BB.com offer HD-DVD's like Netflix.

I can't seem to track down any on BB.com
Old 12-07-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
I took a couple of flaps over to my Blockbuster last night, rented Miami Vice and Accepted. They had some HD titles. I was SHOCKED that there were so many Miami Vice copies on the shelf. Back when I was a regular customer, they never had current titles in (less than a week old...)

That said, Netflix is still the best bargain for me.
Old 12-07-06, 10:28 AM

Too bad I cancelled my Netflix last Feb (they were taking too long to send me my stuff) but in their defense I do live in a lil town in South Texas. I tried Blockbusters online rental but even online their selection was kinda crappy. Maybe I should retry Netflix?
Old 12-07-06, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Does BB.com offer HD-DVD's like Netflix.

I can't seem to track down any on BB.com
yes.
Old 12-07-06, 11:11 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaait a sec.

You guys shred your netflix flap things?

Now I'm worried I should be doing that, I just put them in the recycling bin.

I'm very against junk mail- I wonder if I should start shredding?
Old 12-07-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just called my local BB, and they said it is only one rental per account.
Old 12-07-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gijon213
I just called my local BB, and they said it is only one rental per account.
The press release gives the impression there was no limit, and at least one person in this thread was able to get more than one rental. I got a new rental flap yesterday and plan on visiting my local Blockbuster today to see if they are participating in the offer. If they are I will ask if there is a limit. Looks like this may vary depending on the individual Blockbuster store.
Old 12-07-06, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by IG80Nate
Waaaaaaaaaaait a sec.

You guys shred your netflix flap things?

Now I'm worried I should be doing that, I just put them in the recycling bin.

I'm very against junk mail- I wonder if I should start shredding?
I was thinking the same thing. I shred a lot of stuff, but I haven't gone as far as shredding my Netflix envelopes. Thanks to the OP for posting this, but I don't want BB to start sending me stuff in the mail. I get enough junk mail as it is.
Old 12-07-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
The press release gives the impression there was no limit, and at least one person in this thread was able to get more than one rental. I got a new rental flap yesterday and plan on visiting my local Blockbuster today to see if they are participating in the offer. If they are I will ask if there is a limit. Looks like this may vary depending on the individual Blockbuster store.
I think this may vary per store, especially franchises. The press release clarly says "They can continue to bring in their envelope flaps ..."
Old 12-07-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just returned from BB and the employee I talked with said it is one free rental per Netflix envelope flap. She got the information directly off a paper they had about the promotion. She said if I bring in another Netflix flap I can get another free rental. I have 2 more rentals due tomorrow which means 2 more free ones. I wish I still had some extra flaps around but unfortunately they got shredded and thrown in the trash.
Old 12-07-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might have some flaps from two years ago, has Netflix changed their flaps? Will I be able to use them?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.