Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Who

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 01:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Who

Has anyone else attended any of the dates on the latest Who tour?

I went to the Toronto show last night, and it was insanely awesome. I don't know if I've ever been to a better concert (and I'm a concert whore.) Even though Roger Daltry had a cold, he still sounded great, as did the rest of the band. It really couldn't have been any better.

Actually, it's interesting to note that people can buy CDs/DVDs of each show, which is really cool/unique. I'm definitely going to order the Toronto show in both mediums.
Old 12-05-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kicking myself for missing the Atlanta show. And that's because the Pretenders opened up. Damn.
Old 12-05-06, 01:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah; the Pretenders were decent. They got a mixed reception from the crowd. One guy behind me was yelling at them to "Get off the stage," (which was uncalled for and wasn't justified, in my opinion, because I thought they were decent.) A lot of other people seemed to like them as well.

I don't know if I'll ever listen to them again, but they were a pretty good opening act.
Old 12-05-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wick
I don't know if I'll ever listen to them again, but they were a pretty good opening act.
Just curious... are you familiar with their music? The way you worded this it sounds like you might not be. I've seen the Who before and that's part of the reason I didn't go this time, but I've never seen the Pretenders and hardly any woman rocker can touch the best that Chrissie Hynde has done. Her voice slays.
Old 12-05-06, 01:46 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

No, I'd heard of them, but I'd never listened to their music before.
Old 12-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
In Boston, the Pretenders were fantastic! It was the best I'd seen them over their long career, and I thought they were as good as The Who that evening (who were spotty, hitting some high notes but also going through the motions on some songs).
Old 12-05-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
Holy shit how old are you? 13?

Do you even know who the Pretenders are?

Do a little research and you'll find they're probably the best female led band of the past 25 years.
Old 12-05-06, 02:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I never said they were bad, just that they weren't anything special, in my opinion. They're definitely a lot better than most of the opening acts that I've seen, though.
Old 12-05-06, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's because they generally are not openers; they're usually headlining.
Old 12-06-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wick, not to turn this thread into nothing but Pretenders, but if you ever get the chance to hear their debut album or their singles collection, give it a shot. I'm not that surprised you aren't familiar with them given your age... don't sweat it.
Old 12-06-06, 07:18 AM

I saw the atlanta show with the Who & Pretenders on the wednesday night before thanksgiving... took just over 6 hours to get there from nashville, which is usually just a 3 1/2 drive - didn't see any wrecks - just holiday travellers on I-285 and I-85 (if you're in that area, you know what I'm talking about!)... it was well worth the hassle! pretenders were good but surprisingly didn't do a greatest hits set (I'd seen them before nearly a decade ago and that's what they had played primarily was the hits)... the Who was so much better than I thought they'd be... the new album doesn't thrill me and they did play heavily from it... and unfortunately Daltrey can not hit a good number of the high notes from the past, but the energy level was good and the stage & video screens were good... I've already ordered the cd & dvd of the show from www.themusic.com ... (if you've seen the live performance on the bonus dvd that comes with the new cd you'll know why I went to the show with low expectations - it was not a very good night for them!)