Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

George Orwell 1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four Re-release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I can get 95 bucks for my current sealed copy of 1984. WHich I plan on taking. Any reason why i shouldn't expect a re-release coming anytime soon. This is an MGM title, so its up to fox to get a new edition out.

Anyone have reasoning for it being OOP. Rights issues, etc.

I'm also willing to listen to people rant about it being a government crackdown to hold it off the market, while they slowly develop plans to create such a world for us.
Old 12-04-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Had no idea 1984 was out of print. Glad I bought a copy the day it was released.
I personally think the film has more value in my collection than $95.
Old 12-04-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
Ok, so I can get 95 bucks for my current sealed copy of 1984. WHich I plan on taking. Any reason why i shouldn't expect a re-release coming anytime soon. This is an MGM title, so its up to fox to get a new edition out.

Anyone have reasoning for it being OOP. Rights issues, etc.

I'm also willing to listen to people rant about it being a government crackdown to hold it off the market, while they slowly develop plans to create such a world for us.
Wow! I'm selling mine too. It's probably still sealed.
As for the government thing...it's too late, they are well beyond the planning stage and have already started implementing!
Old 12-04-06, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine the day it was released as well (for $8 i think!!), and keep debating whether or not to take the money and run. If it does end up getting re-released though, can they please put the correct score in??
Old 12-04-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if it has anything to do with an issue with the Virgin Pictures films. Electric Dreams is another of their titles, and that hasn't been released at all.
Old 12-04-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Had no idea 1984 was out of print. Glad I bought a copy the day it was released.
I personally think the film has more value in my collection than $95.
Ditto to everything.
Old 12-04-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't heard a wisp of a rumor regarding a re-release. I've known about it's OOP status and the price this has been garnering for quite some time. I also have absolutely no intention of parting with mine.
Old 12-04-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

every few months i consider parting with my copy. i just cannot bring myself to do it.
Old 12-04-06, 06:23 PM

There was a big Bru-ha-ha when this dvd was released, because the director replaced the original soundtrack (by the Eurythmics) with orchestral music, although The Eurythmics are credited on the dvd case (I've heard).

Don't know if that's why it's OOP, though it seems likely.

If you have a region free dvd player, the PAL 2 has the original score.
Old 12-04-06, 11:21 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if the Orwell Estate was behind this. They've surpressed the 1956 version for years and perhaps have a hold on this as well. Double plus irony.
Old 12-04-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Shit, I bought my copy at Borders not long after it went OOP. They had about fifteen copies on the shelf. Picked it up during a "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" sale, too.

Damn... wish I would've picked up a few extra copies.
Old 12-05-06, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
There was a big Bru-ha-ha when this dvd was released, because the director replaced the original soundtrack (by the Eurythmics) with orchestral music, although The Eurythmics are credited on the dvd case (I've heard).

Don't know if that's why it's OOP, though it seems likely.

If you have a region free dvd player, the PAL 2 has the original score.
I think that is exactly why the DVD is OOP. The DVD was releases and then it went OOP in less than a year. When that happens, right issues is the most likely culprit.
Old 12-05-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The Eurythmics soundtrack was removed years ago for the VHS and laserdisc releases. If it's really just a misprint on the DVD case that continues to credit the Eurythmics, I can't see that keeping the disc out of print. It would be easy enough to reprint the case and reissue it.

If the movie still had the Eurythmics score, I could see there being a rights issue. But I doubt anyone is fighting over the rights to the generic orchestral score the movie has now.
Old 12-05-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the replies. I bought this when it went OOP. I had just seen it on cable and had no reason to open it. I actually stuck it on half.com for 95 thinking no way it would fetch that, a few days later its sold.

I'll hold out for a re-release, and if i really want to see it, I'll import.
Old 12-05-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the camp that feels this movie is worth more to have it in my hands than to put it in someone else's hands. I'll be keeping mine.
Old 12-05-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah, but I have learned over the years that new editions seem to always show sooner or later. This on top of not having the original music tracks, and nothing on the extras side, that its hardly worth the price i got for it
Old 12-05-06, 07:05 PM

Damn - this is one of my all time favourite books.

Wish I had picked up a copy/hope they reconsider and re-release a new version.
Old 12-05-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why in the world did they change the score? I have the DVD and knew right away some of the songs were different. What happened?
Old 12-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Since the music by the Eurythmics was put in against the Director's wishes (by the producers who were hoping to make the film more commercial), I have no problem that it was removed for the DVD.

I remember seeing this in the theater...the movie opened up with the song "Sex Crime" playing against a black screen...after the song ended, the movie began. I remember being very confused at the time.
Old 12-07-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no intention of selling my copy of this movie. (Yes, I have watched mine). Although the book is excellent and seeing this film is no replacement for reading it, this is one of the best book-to-film adaptations I know of. The film captures the colorless, hopeless world Orwell described almost perfectly.

I have an old VHS release of the movie too, and I'm pretty sure the soundtrack is different and the Eurythmics are on it. I've kept that just as an alternate version but haven't watched it in a while.
Old 03-02-07, 12:35 AM

I hope this gets Re-release with the Eurythmics sound track, Its bizzar to have different music. It sounds strange.

I also have both DVD and VHS, It looks like they bosted the contrast and color on the dvd so it lost its softness and that beautiful Sepia tone (It looks 2 clean).
I saw this film in the theater and It made me want 2 take a shower after, It made me feel dirty. hehehe.

I wonder if LOOKER will go OOP soon because I cant find it locally, I guess I will Amazon a copy.