Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
If you have a My Nintendo account (which everyone should since registering the Wii extends warranty for free--from 1 year to a year and three months IIRC) the VC games register themselves on their when you buy them if you linked your Wii to the account during set up.

For people that have that, I'm sure if the system crashes they'll have a way to let you get them again since they are registered on your account showing that you paid for them already.
Are you sure? I've got my Wii registered and warranty extended, but my copy of Mario 64 isn't on the list of products registered.
Old 12-03-06, 02:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abrg923
Are you sure? I've got my Wii registered and warranty extended, but my copy of Mario 64 isn't on the list of products registered.
I've only read about it on other forums, as I haven't bought any VC games yet, but it was confirmed by several people (including Pinata a couple of posts up).

Did you enter your My Nintendo account information on the actual Wii console? There's an option to do so and link that console up to your my Nintendo account.

If you haven't done that then it won't work, regardless if you're registered the Wii on the Website, as the console has to have your account info linked up to be able to send that kind of info to Nintendo.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-03-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only read about it on other forums, as I haven't bought any VC games yet, but it was confirmed by several people.

Did you enter your My Nintendo account information on the actual Wii console? There's an option to do so and link that console up to your my Nintendo account.

If you haven't done that then it won't work, regardless if you're registered the Wii on the Website, as the console has to have your account info linked up to be able to send that kind of info to Nintendo.
Ah...haven't done that yet. Where's that at on the console?
Old 12-03-06, 02:10 PM
Retired

Not sure, I did it during initial up set. I'm sure it's under the Wii settings where you can change the Wiiconnect24 settings and all that jazz.
Old 12-03-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure, I did it during initial up set. I'm sure it's under the Wii settings where you can change the Wiiconnect24 settings and all that jazz.
OK, cool. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-03-06, 03:24 PM

It has been a couple of days since I had a chance to play again, but my last bit of Wii action was seven or eight straight boxing matches and that turned out to be a bit tiring. Mind you, I was more expressive than needed for more than half of those matches but it did prove to be fun. Still need to figure out how to aim at the opponent's head more easily though as the one two-round fight probably could have been finished in the first with a well placed headblow.

With other tasks completed for the day, I will probably head out shortly and see if there is a nunchuk or two to be found to get in a bit of two-player fun for the few games that require the add-on.
Old 12-03-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
You can't actually put VC games on the SD card. Only VC game saves, etc.

The SD card, for the time being, is useless.
It is weird, some things you can and some things you can't. I have TLoZ copied to my SD card, and SM64, along with my saves on Excite Truck and TLoZ-TP. But I can't copy Sonic or Mario Bros. I am pretty sure you can't save games with the original Legend of Zelda so I have to have the actually game in it.
Old 12-03-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
So when you are inputting someone's code, and there's a place to pick a Mii. Is that what you are sending to them?
Old 12-03-06, 03:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Deftones
So when you are inputting someone's code, and there's a place to pick a Mii. Is that what you are sending to them?
No it just puts a face on the message (or on them in your address book).

To send someone a Mii you have to go to the Mii channel and use the send Mii feature there.
Old 12-03-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Nope that is more like a gamerpic for that person. Unfortunately you have to wait for that person to send you their mii before you can attach it. If you select it when you are inputting their code you will be able to select from the Mii's already in your plaza.

I personally love Mario 64...but if you have an HDTV and don't have the component cables yet, don't bother. It looks atrocious. I think the cables should clear up some of the horrible blurriness.

Also, playing it with a Gamecube controller feels...off.
I loved it as well. Not sure if I'd bite for $10 on the VC though. Supposedly the VC version has superior graphics to the N64 original.
Old 12-03-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Ah. So I've assigned my Mii to every single person I added.
Old 12-03-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I loved it as well. Not sure if I'd bite for $10 on the VC though. Supposedly the VC version has superior graphics to the N64 original.
You can't tell from the cables included with the Wii, that's for sure. I'll report back when I get my component cables.
Old 12-03-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah. So I've assigned my Mii to every single person I added.
I haven't found a way to unassign a pic in the address book. It isn't helpful that the Mii selector that comes up shows you no name or creator info. Nit-pick, but something I'd like to see fixed in a future update.
Old 12-03-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Can't wait until my component cables show up this week. Played an hour of Zelda and it looks terrible.
Old 12-03-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait until my component cables show up this week. Played an hour of Zelda and it looks terrible.
I've been able to play Zelda without the being too distracted by the graphics. However, COD3 is a whole 'nother story, it looks like a damn PS2 game. The text is so blurry its hard to read at times. I really hope it looks much better when I get my component cables.
Old 12-03-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Ohhhh. Even more reason not to get one right now.
The slideshow feature if the Wii is very nice. You can throw some holiday images and holiday music on an SD card and have a nice "backdrop" to a holiday party or simply kicking back and reading a book.

I've made heavy use of the multimedia capabilities of the 360 and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Wii has some too.
Old 12-03-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just checked, and...unless I'm blind as a bat, it's not there.

EDIT: Consulted Nintendo's website...and you have to link it through the Wii Shop Channel.

Last edited by argh923; 12-03-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh...these system updates take FOREVER. Had mine going for about 5 minutes, and it's barely even moved.
Old 12-03-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has there been any talk of bringing Gamecube games to the Virtual Console?
Old 12-03-06, 07:01 PM
Retired

Has there been any talk of bringing Gamecube games to the Virtual Console?
No. The files are too big, and it's kind of pointless since the games are readily available and the Wii plays the discs.
Old 12-03-06, 07:03 PM

Ugh...these system updates take FOREVER. Had mine going for about 5 minutes, and it's barely even moved.
Nintendo's servers must be taking a huge hit today since it's somewhat of a second launch day for the Wii.

And don't worry, it'll speed up eventually. The speed that it's going at isn't consistent the whole way through.
Old 12-03-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The first update took awhile for me today, but no more than 4-5 min. Second update took about 1-2 min. I had problems getting my Wii to recognize my router at first so I was just glad it worked. Here's a tip in case anyone is having problems. My wifi router is a D-Link 624, you have to go in and manually change the channel to 11 instead of the default 6 in the router settings. I also added WEP and and password at the same time and it suddenly worked!
Old 12-03-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. The files are too big, and it's kind of pointless since the games are readily available and the Wii plays the discs.
True. Just wasn't sure if I should go out and buy Wind Waker (making it a mission to get all of the Zelda console games), or wait for it to pop up on the Wii Store.

Hopefully they release Majora's Mask on there.
Old 12-03-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk God

My 1st update took over 5 minutes today. The second one was about 2 minutes.
Old 12-03-06, 08:41 PM

Looks like the component cables are on "backorder" again. I just placed an order and am hoping to receive them before Christmas arrives...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.