DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Hi-Speed USB 2.0 help needed

achau9598
12-02-06, 04:45 AM
A while back I added a hi-speed 2.0 PCI card to my Dell desktop. It worked fine (for a bit) but now is only working as a 1.1 USB - which sucks for my DVD burner, scanner, MP3 sync, etc.

I have tried to reinstall the drivers, take the card out and put it back in .. so far nothing is making this work correctly.

When I go into "system" there is a " ? " for Multimedia Controller, so I figure this is it. I tried Update Driver, but it will not locate the needed file from the CD (which is in my CD drive). I even tried downloading the driver from Belkin and that did not work, either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RKillgore
12-02-06, 01:09 PM
The drivers on a Dell support disk are zipped files. The driver wizard can't identify the files in that format; they need to be unzipped to your hard drive, then direct the driver wizard to that directory. Try support.dell.com to see which driver file you need to unzip for the multimedia controller.

achau9598
12-02-06, 05:03 PM
The drivers on a Dell support disk are zipped files. The driver wizard can't identify the files in that format; they need to be unzipped to your hard drive, then direct the driver wizard to that directory. Try support.dell.com to see which driver file you need to unzip for the multimedia controller.

Actually, it is a Belkin USB 2.0 card .. So I was trying to use the Belkin install disk to do it. I also tried to directly download drivers from the Belkin site, but that didn't work, either.

Dell suggested I remove the card in safe mode and then try to install the drivers and reboot. I did that and it didn't work.

Since the card still works, but just in 1.0, I figure it has to be the drivers, but I'm not sure why the drivers that install are being read.

RKillgore
12-02-06, 09:48 PM
Actually, I was thinking that the device manager ? might be to a chipset on the motherboard that's preventing the PCI interface from properly working.
Since I have a USB 2.0 PCI card too, comparing the device manager might help.
Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, the applicable entries I have are:

NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
2 instances of NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
2 instances of SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

The NEC entries are for the manufacturer of my card and the SiS 7001 refer to my motherboard.

What model of Dell desktop and version of Windows do you have?

achau9598
12-03-06, 07:10 AM
It is a Dimension 8200 running XP (with service pack 2)

RKillgore
12-03-06, 12:44 PM
There are motherboard chipset drivers for your system, but that doesn't automatically mean that I'm right.
How does your device manager entries compare? You should have the same NEC entries and Intel(r) where mine says SiS 7001.
Remove the USB PCI card and restart, does the ? for the Multimedia Controller go away?
Any other changes to your system since you added the card?

achau9598
12-03-06, 01:42 PM
yes - if I remove the card it goes away ... when I go to in in the device manager, I just can't get it to accept the location of the driver ..