Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

mission impossible and get smart

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mission impossible and get smart

I've noticed that companies are selling complete TV sets of Mission Impossible (all 7 seasons) and also Get Smart (all 5 seasons). I assume these are done in Europe. Is anyone familiar with the quality of these DVDs? The prices are good, almost too good.

Blues_man
Old 12-01-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Mission Impossible is definately bootleg, AVOID. Paramount is releasing them. Get Smart is available from Time-Life only, complete series 199.99(there are coupons) AVOID any others.

For any Canadians out there. I've been collecting MI episodes for years. Some years ago I got several dvd-rs that were from TVLand Canada. The episodes were uncut, 51 minutes. Is there some regulation concerning commercial time or something in Canada? This is unheard of in the United States. Even when Paramount first syndicated the show in the U.S. the prints sent to local stations were edited to 47min. for syndication.

Last edited by rw2516; 12-01-06 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I would love to get the Get Smart series but i'm not shelling out $200 for the whole set. I heard they will be released in seasons, seperately sometime in the future, is this true?
Old 12-02-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
I would love to get the Get Smart series but i'm not shelling out $200 for the whole set. I heard they will be released in seasons, seperately sometime in the future, is this true?
Yes it's true, but it is unknown how they will be released in store. Probably individually as each has it's own barcode, but also unknown as to how often they will release them when Time Life's 1 year exclusive ends. They release one every 2-3 months, or two a year, etc.

If you use one of the 15% off coupons and don't pay tax, you'll get them for for like $170 (If they still ship it free), that's like 34 bucks a season. Also unknown as to what the MSRP will be when they come out. Since it's a HBO title, they could go for $100, but more than likely it would probably be less than that, but again another unknown.
Old 12-02-06, 12:48 AM

I was able to use a 20% off coupon(posted in the thread, now expired) + free shipping, so it was 159.99 with 8% cash back from going through fat wallet, so the final cost was about $147. My guess is that they will probably be priced near the Hogan's Heroes sets when they hit retail, maybe 35-40 msrp for each season, probably $100-120 for the whole set when it goes on sale. But just speculation on my part. One thing that will keep the price up a little bit...each season is on 5 discs.

I'm on 3rd disc of first season of get smart, so far quality is outstanding, barbara feldon introduces each episode!
Old 12-04-06, 01:36 PM

There are places selling the complete Get Smart for about $60. I wondered if anyone was familiar with the quality. I just saw that the complete Get Smart is also available for mthe official source for $200 but it won't be available everyhere for a year.
The complete Mission Impossible can be had for about $180, but again I'm concerned about quality. Has nobody tried theses at all?

Thanks

Blues_man
Old 12-04-06, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by blues_man
There are places selling the complete Get Smart for about $60. I wondered if anyone was familiar with the quality. I just saw that the complete Get Smart is also available for mthe official source for $200 but it won't be available everyhere for a year.
The complete Mission Impossible can be had for about $180, but again I'm concerned about quality. Has nobody tried theses at all?

Thanks

Blues_man
quality that`s the key word here folks, you usually get what you pay for.
Old 12-04-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by blues_man

Thanks

Blues_man
At best these cheap sets are edited, incomplete recorded off tv with the commercials cut out. At worst they are from faded scratchy 16mm syndicated prints. I have no knowledge of any commercial free cable/satellite channel ever airing these shows. There is no where else they would have had access to them. The Get Smart set has the HBO logo on the covers so I'm assuming HBO will release these individualy whenever. Isn't HBO higher priced than the other companies on their tv stuff? Don't have any others. The Time-Life offer with a coupon may be a very good price.
Old 12-04-06, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
For any Canadians out there. I've been collecting MI episodes for years. Some years ago I got several dvd-rs that were from TVLand Canada. The episodes were uncut, 51 minutes. Is there some regulation concerning commercial time or something in Canada? This is unheard of in the United States. Even when Paramount first syndicated the show in the U.S. the prints sent to local stations were edited to 47min. for syndication.
TVLand used to be a pay tv station here and they played shows with no commercials, so I assume they played the unsyndicated originals.