DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Tool Question - Brand Name / Power / Etc

tbird2340
11-30-06, 07:19 AM
I'm in the market for a hammer drill and last night while browsing around at Lowe's I see a Firestorm combo pack. It had a 24v Hammer Drill and a 24v Sawsall for like $130.

Now, a Dewalt 18v Hammer Drill is $300. I am usually a name brand guy when it comes to tools.. I got a Delta table saw and it is "ok".. While I spend the money and got a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw and it rocks..

Is it blatantly obvious that these Firestorm tools are going to suck? I mean what.. The 24v isn't going to produce power like a 24v Dewalt? The parts cheap and expect it to break? Performance??

nevermind
11-30-06, 07:33 AM
I use my DeWalt hammer drill by far the most out of any tool I have so it was worth the $ to me. Knowing a DeWalt salesman and getting it for 50% off didn't hurt either :).

Stuff like sanders and angle grinders I went super-cheap on because I rarely use them.

Over time, you would no doubt be using the drill more than the miter saw, right? Go with the good stuff on something used that much.

jonw9
11-30-06, 07:34 AM
I believe Firestorm is made by Black and Decker, the same company that makes Dewalt tools.

I would buy the Firestorm and be able to buy 2 sets and still come out ahead of buying the Dewalt. That is unless you really want the yellow case on your drill.

nevermind
11-30-06, 07:38 AM
I believe Firestorm is made by Black and Decker, the same company that makes Dewalt tools.
and the Aveo and Corvette are both Chevys. Doesn't mean they are the same quality.

Accidentally drop a firestorm drill from 15 feet onto concrete and let me know how it works then.

tbird2340
11-30-06, 07:39 AM
That is unless you really want the yellow case on your drill.

Well I really do like the yellow / black look.. But I also like the orange / black look.. Hmm....

nevermind
11-30-06, 07:39 AM
I agree they are overpriced though. That's why I don't have a DeWalt angle grinder or sander, or table saw, or circular saw. When I have a much bigger need for those things I will reassess.

jonw9
11-30-06, 07:47 AM
and the Aveo and Corvette are both Chevys. Doesn't mean they are the same quality.

Accidentally drop a firestorm drill from 15 feet onto concrete and let me know how it works then.

Yes, but a yellow corvette and a black corvette are identical. I guess you could compare the two drills as a standard vette and a Z06, but I feel your analogy is flawed.

I would say that the batteries are essentially the same, and maybe the Dewalt has a bit heavier duty motor, bur for the homeowner I think the differences would be neligable.

tbird2340
11-30-06, 07:53 AM
Well the DC926KA that sells for $300 at Lowe's can be had on fleabay for around $180 it seems.. Still more then those two put together.. Hmmmm

I can't buy it on fleabay tho because it has to be a xmas present from my wife..

jonw9
11-30-06, 09:46 AM
Your wife want a hammer-drill for Chrismas? Nice!! :up:

I gues I would then pick a color that accents her complexion. Is she a fall or spring? ;)

tbird2340
11-30-06, 10:10 AM
Your wife want a hammer-drill for Chrismas? Nice!! :up:

I gues I would then pick a color that accents her complexion. Is she a fall or spring? ;)

:lol: FROM my wife... Not FOR my wife (altho man that would be sweet)!

tbird2340
12-26-06, 04:23 PM
How about Rigid vs Firestorm / Black & Decker?

Shazam
12-26-06, 04:38 PM
Dewalt? Pfft.

I'll take Hilti and Milwaukee over Dewalt any day of the week.

crazyronin
12-26-06, 06:35 PM
What the hell do you need a 24v battery tool for anyway? Weightlifting?

kvrdave
12-26-06, 06:55 PM
It really depends on how much you use it, etc. I generally use Ryobi for cordless tools. They aren't the best, but they will do all that I ask of them. I wouldn't buy them if I were a contractor, but I'm not.

All I have are 18v as well, so I have no idea what the 24v difference is (besides 6v), but the 18v stuff does everything I need, and I have extra batteries on the charger ready to go.

For serious screwing, get the corded, anyway.

Shazam
12-26-06, 09:28 PM
If you really need an impact drill, I would just go for a rotary hammer drill instead.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-11997

These will go through anything like butter.

tbird2340
12-26-06, 10:04 PM
What the hell do you need a 24v battery tool for anyway? Weightlifting?

It's not that I need 24v or even looking for 24v it was just a package deal at a good price...

asabase
12-26-06, 10:04 PM
Or go buy 20 of them at harbor freight and throw out the 5 that break and still come out ahead. :)