Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Very Sad To Me...Special Victims Unit...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-28-06, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This used to be a top show to me, but the last two years have blown. It doesn't even manage to hold my attention anymore. I just watched it tonight and can't even remember what it was about. I guess it's time to switch over to something else, so sad for me.
Old 11-28-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yes, so sad for you. I'm not having that problem with SVU, though I wish they would've given Munch and Fin some of Mariska's time.

However, my Law & Order: CI viewing time has been drastically cut in half. If D'Onofrio isn't on, i'm not watching. I only tolerated Noth because of Annabella. And based on the last D'Onofrio episode, i'm afraid they're setting the stage for his departure.

So sad for me.
Old 11-28-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I only tolerated Noth because of Annabella. And based on the last D'Onofrio episode, i'm afraid they're setting the stage for his departure.

So sad for me.
I will miss Annabella.

But why do you say you suspect D'Onofrio is leaving? What did I miss?
Old 11-28-06, 11:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I didn't like Dani and didn't care for the episodes she was in. Tonight's episode felt a little more normal now that Olivia is back.
Old 11-29-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by RocShemp
But why do you say you suspect D'Onofrio is leaving? What did I miss?
Well, first of all...we actually got to see his mom. Out of the three L&Os, SVU is the most "personal" (meaning - we know the most about the cops "private" lives). We only get a peek every now-and-then at the cops in the other shows. Heck, we didn't know Rohmbot was lez until he final two minutes on the show. So there was that.

THEN...there was Goren's erratic (well, more than usual) behaviour during the episode - "cleaning" his desk, shouting they could fire him if they want as he storms out and his seeming alienation of Eames during the episode. I don't know. I hope i'm reading into it and I know he doesn't have that many fans here, but i'm one of them..
Old 11-29-06, 06:01 AM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts
But... but... but... Saget was on it this week!

That's gotta mean something!

Old 11-29-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SVU is still the best L&O on the air, IMO. It's been uneven with Harkitay off, but it still has been a good show without her.
Old 11-29-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
As SVU has gotten more personal, my interest has waned. I still watch but I kind of feel the same way at the OP - I have about 3 eps sitting in my DVR now.

However, I think the flagship Law & Order has been really strong this season - its best season in years - going back to Angie Harmon's first couple years). Very good stories and very good (real world) legal twists and turns. Maybe the move to Friday gave the writers a kick in the ass.
Old 11-29-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Speaking of CI, has anyone noticed that the beginning of the episodes are more straight forward than past seasons. It's more linear than the disjointed scenes they used to edit together. I liked it better when they didn't make sense and you had to actually pay attention to what is happening.

As for SVU, it's still my favorite of the three series.
Old 11-29-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the recent episodes with Mariska undercover were still pretty good.
Old 11-29-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Yeah, this has been a great season so far.
Old 11-29-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I have been calling for more Munch and Finn for years. I think this is one reason the series has slipped, too much concentration on Meloni and Mariska, I have gotten to the point that I really do not care what happens to either of them.
Old 11-29-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm
I have been calling for more Munch and Finn for years. I think this is one reason the series has slipped, too much concentration on Meloni and Mariska, I have gotten to the point that I really do not care what happens to either of them.
I agree.... it was getting too much and Munch and Fin are great together. While they are not the same characters, Munch brings a lot to the show that Briscoe did for regular L&O.
Old 11-29-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

we need more Homicide crossovers.
Old 11-29-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Ditto. It's still the strongest L&O (though the original has been better this season) but it could be better. At least Munch had lines in this episode but Fin was just MIA.
Old 11-29-06, 10:43 AM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts
Next season... Law & Order: Munch & Finn!

Please Mr. Wolf!?

Originally Posted by lisadoris
At least Munch had lines in this episode but Fin was just MIA.
He was prolly taping a ep of Rap School (which is a laugh a minute).
Old 11-29-06, 06:01 PM

there was Goren's erratic (well, more than usual) behaviour during the episode - "cleaning" his desk, shouting they could fire him if they want as he storms out and his seeming alienation of Eames during the episode.
Maybe they're going back to S1 Eames? In the beginning she (in my opinion) had a harsh, antagonistic relationship with Goren. Later she softened up and they seemed to be good friends. Now all of a sudden she's back to the harsh 'tude.
Old 11-29-06, 10:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
I didn't like Dani and didn't care for the episodes she was in. Tonight's episode felt a little more normal now that Olivia is back.
I thought Dani was GREAT. Its just too bad Stabler never got more than a kiss. I think it's pretty obvious that all of this guy's rage-aholic issues stem from his pent-up sexual energy. When's the last time we have seen his character get laid?

Hats off to the makeup people on the show too for making Connie Nielsen look hideous for the past 6 episodes. Why do gorgeous women insist on grunging it up to be taken seriously. Take a tip from Mariska Connie! You don't have to look like a bag lady in drag for us to get that you're serious about your character, jeesh!

As for Olivia and Elliot, I really don't know what else they can do with that relationship other than have them fall in love. We have gone everywhere else with them except there at this point. I think they should have done a few more episodes of Olivia's adventures with the FBI and Vincent Spano. She should get laid sometimes too! Does working on SVU cases make these characters into eunuchs or something?
Old 11-30-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yes, so sad for you. I'm not having that problem with SVU, though I wish they would've given Munch and Fin some of Mariska's time.

However, my Law & Order: CI viewing time has been drastically cut in half. If D'Onofrio isn't on, i'm not watching. I only tolerated Noth because of Annabella. And based on the last D'Onofrio episode, i'm afraid they're setting the stage for his departure.

So sad for me.
I'm in the same boat. I don't bother watching any episodes with Noth, but this season CI doesn't seem the same. It's much darker and more in the same vein (sp?) as SVU. Don't get me wrong, SVU is a good show but it can also be pretty damn depressing. I always liked the light-hearted nature of D'Onofrio and the cases in the previous seasons. Plus, why did they get rid of the DA?

Anyways, I too think they're getting ready for D'Onofrio's departure. The whole thing is set up for some tragic ending...

BTW, was this two weeks in a row for Noth/whats-her-name or did I miss D'Onofrio's ep last week?
Old 11-30-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
No, it was 2 Noth episodes back to back. I loved this week's, though, when he got handed the baby. The look on his face was priceless.
Old 11-30-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
This used to be a top show to me, but the last two years have blown. It doesn't even manage to hold my attention anymore. I just watched it tonight and can't even remember what it was about. I guess it's time to switch over to something else, so sad for me.
just switch over to heroes if you haven't already.
Old 12-01-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stopped watching SVU this season. The end of last season was damn good, and this season has fallen like a rock.