Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Bones get better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does Bones get better?

I just started season 1 on DVD and frankly it's not doing anything for me yet. The 3 assistants are annoying and the "relationship" between Bones and the agent seems very forced this early in the show. Does it pick up later? Fortunately I'm just renting it but is it worth it to leave it in the queue?
Old 11-28-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It either grows on you or it doesn't, the relationships and characters get more natural later on though.
Old 11-28-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
This is one of the shows that has really grown on me. Yes, the show started out kinda rough, but Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel develop some really good chemistry as the episodes progress. I have to admit the other characters like Zack, Angela and Hodgins were a little irritating to start out, but I've grown to like them as supporting characters. I thought the show just kept getting better and better. The shows 2nd season is quite good so far as well. I think the show really starts to kick it in high gear from episode 10 onwards.
Old 11-28-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it makes the turn around the Christmas episode, and then the cast chemistry kicked into another gear.
Old 11-28-06, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up on it after the pilot, I just really didn't care for the Bones girl, seemed very flat. I was thinking about trying it again, maybe I'll start mid-season of season 1.
Old 11-28-06, 10:13 PM

The show is actually challenging to watch on DVD as it's very episodic. There's no big story arc or cliffhangers that make you say "I've got to watch the next one!" My wife and I usually plow through TV-on-DVD sets, but it took a while to get through BONES because we didn't feel any urge to see what happens next. Having said that, if the entire season had been like the season finale, we would have watched all 22 episodes in one day.
Old 11-28-06, 10:18 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I think it makes the turn around the Christmas episode, and then the cast chemistry kicked into another gear.
I agree. The Christmas episode was a big turning point in this series. Before that, the show just wasn't working. But everything seemed to come together in that episode. And since then it's been pretty good.
Old 11-28-06, 10:23 PM

I cannot say for sure when it changed, but I will echo what other people have said. My wife and I could not get through the pilot, one night months later we gave it another shot and we have been watching ever since.
Old 11-28-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bones is the sort of show that I find enjoyable, but not to the point that I seek it out. If I happen to be home when a new episode comes on, I'll watch it, but if I miss one I don't care.

I just really didn't care for the Bones girl, seemed very flat.
Yeah, she is built like a 13 year old boy.
Old 11-28-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Yeah, she is built like a 13 year old boy.
Wha? I disagree.
Old 11-28-06, 11:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I think the pilot was probably the worst episode of the show. The characters all seem like caricatures in the beginning, but they all become much more likable as it progresses. I think this has become one of the better procedural-type shows because it's a bit more character based but doesn't go overboard. The character scenes don't feel like a forced afterthought here like they often do in the CSI shows, it all blends together naturally without overshadowing the cases.
Old 11-28-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I don't know what that means?" I remember people getting tired of Bones not being up on pop culture. I liked that aspect of her personality.
Old 11-29-06, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I couldn't get into it at all during the first season. I enjoy the current season a lot more.
Old 11-29-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmmm, coming from a different angle, I enjoyed it from the begining, but it has just gotten better. I will agree with Patman and say that I miss "I don't know what that means." And her character is suppose to be somewhat flat as she is pretty high on analytical and very low on interpersonal. But it is nice to see some of that change just a bit.

Great interview in TV guide last week. But it turns out she is a vegan, so that explains the 13 year old boy thing.
Old 11-29-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. It seemed they were unsure how much of an "arc" to start in terms of spanning storylines across episodes until the producers were sure FOX was going to pick it up for a full season. It definitely gets better. The season finale was awesome!
Old 11-29-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Great interview in TV guide last week. But it turns out she is a vegan, so that explains the 13 year old boy thing.
Bones has a nice rack (I liked that red dress she wore a few episodes ago in Vegas).
Old 11-29-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It took me awhile to get into it. It started with lots of kinks, but by midseason, they had worked most of them out. Plus, the cast chemistry really improves as things go on so I say it is worth sticking with it.
Old 11-30-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 232 Likes on 137 Posts
Bones has a nice rack (I liked that red dress she wore a few episodes ago in Vegas).
They certainly don't dress the character in anything revealing, which seems appropriate for her personality.

But as for the actress:
Old 11-30-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
They certainly don't dress the character in anything revealing, which seems appropriate for her personality.

She's got a smokin body when they let her show it off.
Old 12-01-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When the series debuted, we started watching it only because of the lead actors, but it was a bit tough to "get into" for a few episodes. The writers seemed to be struggling a bit to find the right avenues for the character relationships to develop.

Fortunately, they worked it out, and everyone now seems much more comfortable in their roles. It's one of our top five favorite scripted shows this year.