Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy spaghetti sauce

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy spaghetti sauce

Old 11-28-06, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy spaghetti sauce

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5731959

11/27/06-PERRYVILLE, MO
Shopping Mix Up: Expensive Spaghetti Sauce

Story Provided By: KFVS Raycom Media

A warning to thousands of shoppers already swarming stores: Make sure you get what you pay for....literally. Because what happened to a Perryville, Missouri couple says happened to them, could easily happen to you. The Rittenberg's dished out more than $1,500 for a new video camera but were served spaghetti sauce instead.

Now they have a one big credit card bill, no camera, and no idea if they'll ever see that money again.

"I pulled out the camera, or what I thought was the camera, but it's Classico Spaghetti Sauce. $1,500 spaghetti sauce," Jim Rittenberg said.

Melisa and Jim Rittenberg say it all started when they went to exchange a video camera at a St. Louis Best Buy store.

Jim decided to buy a more expensive model. So, he paid the difference and left the store. But, when he opened the box there was no camera to be found. Instead he got some pasta sauce, a phone cord, and an outdoor outlet cover. The items weighed just over a pound and a half. That's about the same as the High Definition Sony Camera that was no where to be found.

Melisa says at least the expensive sauce is covered.

"With an extended warranty and a camera bag to put it in," said Melisa. You have to find humor in it because what else can you do!"

The couple went back to Best Buy to try and sort out the mess. "They said there was no way it could have happened in the store because the Sony sticker on the box wasn't cut," Melisa said.

"I would just like a replacement camera. If not that, then replace my money," said Jim.

So far, no one can be sure when or how the sauce got in the box. The Rittenberg's say the issue is far from resolved. But as we head into the busy shopping season, the couple offers some advice to their fellow consumers.

"If you're purchasing anything without a window on the box you need to open it at the store with the sales person present," said Melisa. "Because, after you leave the store it's yours."

The Rittenberg's still have a lot of red tape to go through before they found out if they'll get their money back or another camera.

We did speak with a Best Buy representative. The spokesperson says they hope to resolve the situation as soon as possible. They plan to contact the manager at the store where the camera was purchased, as well as Jim and Melisa Rittenberg.
Old 11-28-06, 04:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I knew a guy in college who got busted doing a similar scheme. Whenever he wanted to upgrade his PC, he'd go buy the component at Fry's, swap it out with his old component, shrinkwrap it at his place of employment (Gamestop), and return it back to Fry's. Because he used his credit card to do the purchases, he eventually got caught. He lost his job, and was very very lucky the police were not brought in.
Old 11-28-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

at least best buy seems to be interested in making right.
Old 11-28-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dpz301
at least best buy seems to be interested in making right.
they MAY make this one right, since it got news coverage, but if it didnt make the news, these people wouldnt see a penny nor a camera from best buy.
Old 11-29-06, 09:03 AM

Something similar to this happened to me years ago at Sears. I bought a Sony DVD player, this is back when DVD players were relatively new technology, and when I opened up the box someone's used VHS player was inside.

I returned it to Sears with zero problems. They were able to trace the purchase back to the person responsible for the swap, and when they 'went back to the well one to many times', they were busted. It felt good to know I helped bust the lady responsible.
Old 11-29-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/a-424655~Son...=san_francisco
A couple who found a jar of pasta sauce inside a box where a camcorder should have been said Tuesday that Sony Entertainment Inc. is giving them a new camcorder.

Melisa Rittenberg, 36, of Perryville, said she was contacted by Sony on Monday, after talking to The Associated Press about the incident, which happened after the Rittenbergs bought the camcorder at a suburban St. Louis Best Buy.

Rittenberg said she was told a replacement camera was in the mail. Phone messages left with Sony were not returned.

"I'm satisfied because we're finally going to get the camera we paid for," Rittenberg said, though she remained angry that Best Buy Co. didn't resolve the matter.

The Ellisville Best Buy store manager, Wade Trapp, said the company had been in touch with the Rittenbergs, and would follow up on the matter.

The Rittenbergs paid about $1,600 for a camcorder at the Ellisville Best Buy, in suburban St. Louis, last week. They said when they opened the box, they found a jar of Classico pasta sauce, a telephone cord and an electric outlet cover. The items were all positioned in the box where the camera equipment should have been, Melisa Rittenberg said.

The couple said they went back to Best Buy, but the store declined to give them a replacement camera or a refund.
Old 11-29-06, 09:23 AM

My God, I cannot stand Best Buy. I cannot believe the way they treat their customers.
Old 11-29-06, 09:48 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This is the fault of the retailer, any and all returns should be opened and inspected, not just asked if there's anything wrong with it. I understand how time consuming it is but there are dishonest people who attempt this all the time, the best way to bust them is right there in front of the cameras and the public. See their face turn red and bust them right there!
Old 11-29-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mather
This is the fault of the retailer, any and all returns should be opened and inspected, not just asked if there's anything wrong with it.
But you're forgetting that
The couple went back to Best Buy to try and sort out the mess. "They said there was no way it could have happened in the store because the Sony sticker on the box wasn't cut," Melisa said.
There was no reason to inspect the box because the infallible, tamper-proof sticker was intact! It isn't like they could steam it off or find another way into the box.

From the retailer's perspective, should they break what they believe is a manufacturer's seal? If it is broken, what would Sony to with that stock? If it isn't broken, Best Buy can just put it back on the shelf.
Old 11-29-06, 10:03 AM

I reread the original post, yes, you're right, the retailer should not break open seals to check. I should add that any opened returns should be checked.
Old 11-29-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember at Best Buy someone returned a old Zenith TV with a brick for some extra weight inside a new TV box. It happens there all the time and BB rarely sides w/ the customer.
Old 11-29-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The answer is simple..

X-ray all returned merchandise!
Old 11-29-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pretty soon Best Buy will have a no returns at all policy
Old 11-29-06, 05:44 PM

Then they will definitely be called Worst Buy.
Old 11-30-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
they MAY make this one right, since it got news coverage, but if it didnt make the news, these people wouldnt see a penny nor a camera from best buy.
that's true too probably.
Old 12-01-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple to receive missing camcorder

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Sony Entertainment Inc. is giving a southeast Missouri couple a new camcorder, after they bought one at Best Buy and said they found a jar of pasta sauce inside the box where the camera should have been.

Melisa Rittenberg, 36, of Perryville, said yesterday she was contacted by Sony on Monday, after talking to The Associated Press about the incident.

Rittenberg was told a replacement camera was in the mail. A phone message left with Sony was not returned.

"I’m satisfied because we’re finally going to get the camera we paid for," Rittenberg said, though she remained angry that Best Buy didn’t resolve the matter.

The Ellisville Best Buy store manager, Wade Trapp, said the company would follow up on the matter.

The Rittenbergs paid about $1,600 for a camcorder at the Ellisville Best Buy, in suburban St. Louis, last week.

They said when they opened the box, they found a jar of Classico pasta sauce, a telephone cord and an electric outlet cover.
Old 12-03-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do they get to keep the spaghetti sauce?
Old 12-03-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you know how to do it, it is very, very easy to execute this type of fraud. All it takes is a few $ worth of materials and some inexpensive equipment. You can return an opened box that is indistinguishable from a factory-sealed one.

(Please don't accuse me of doing this. Just because I know how to do it doesn't mean that I would.)
Old 12-03-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not just go to the police, file a report and have them check for fingerprints on the sauce? $1500 is probably something worth investigating.

the people that do this are pretty dumb and just think they are slick and don't put on gloves when pulling the scam
Old 12-04-06, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Happened to me. Bought an open box Wireless router and when I went home and opened it..I got an old CD-ROM drive. Drove back the next day (they were already closed when I got home) and after going through 2-3 managers, got a replacement.