Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Superman-Theatrical Serials Collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 04:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Superman-Theatrical Serials Collection

When the serial "Superman" first came out on VHS, it included the complete beginnings for each chapter.

Everyone was thrilled when it finally made it to LD, but alas, only the first chapter was complete. The 2-15 chapters were missing the opening credits.

Well, this new one is complete. The only thing wrong with it is it's made from the same source as the LD. Scratches are in the same places throughout the DVD.

I was playing the LD on a Pioneer DVL-770 and the DVD on a Panny RP-82 on a Mit 65" RPTV. I compared them both and if my LD was playing on an large analog screen, I really think they would have looked the same.

What's not good for the DVD is that the double vertical lines that are next to all images that are straight and tall are really pronounced on the DVD.

I was really hoping that Warners would have done a little work on this, but I guess we should be lucky that we even got it. Anyway, we that bought the original LD Box Set paid close to $75 or more, so should we be happy that we got both serials at half the price???

The above has only to do with the first serial, "Superman."
Old 11-28-06, 06:33 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks
The 2-15 chapters were missing the opening credits. Well, this new one is complete.
Sort of. What the disc does is play the same opening credits clip, then skip ahead to the beginning of whichever chapter you've selected. As such, there's a slight pause in between the opening credits and the chapter title screen, which is mildly annoying.

The LD info is useful, however - I'm prepping the review on these discs, and I'll be stealing this info for it.
Old 11-28-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Superman serials finally!!!
Old 11-29-06, 08:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closing duplicate...