Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Have you ever met your doppleganger?

Giles
11-28-06, 11:02 AM
I was just talking with two friends of mine this morning about this. The theory that everyone has a double, duplicate: "doppleganger".

One of my friends said he actually met his.

I've occassionally been told mine has been seen in and around DC. The eeriest, was when I went to the movies in Gaithersburg Maryland and I went to the concession stand after purchasing my movie ticket, and the guy was like 'why are you back, I just served you?'. I looked at him wierdly and was like 'nooooo....?!" The notion that my double was at the same movie cineplex was a bit jarring - never did run into him. I honestly wouldn't know what to say.

so... anyone else have similiar experiences?

DrRingDing
11-28-06, 11:04 AM
No, I have not met Michael Stipe. Nor have I met Quentin Tarantino... Both of whom I'm endlessly compared to.

-ringding-

Groucho
11-28-06, 11:06 AM
My doppelgänger has been spotted clubbing in Germany. That's all I know.

Deftones
11-28-06, 11:07 AM
Yes. As a kid in California when I was on vacation. What made it even more eerie, was that he was wearing the exact same clothes. And it wasn't common clothing either. Freaky stuff.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
11-28-06, 11:09 AM
maybe

Groucho
11-28-06, 11:09 AM
Yes. As a kid in California when I was on vacation. What made it even more eerie, was that he was wearing the exact same clothes. And it wasn't common clothing either. Freaky stuff.If only you weren't separated by that piece of glass somebody put between the two of you in the dressing room...you could have shaken hands.

The Infidel
11-28-06, 11:16 AM
I've never met him, but I saw him. Years back, my friends and I went to a rollerskating rink, and one of them spotted him skating around and came and told me. We all went over to the railing to see, and sure enough, he skated by...and it was me! I was like "holy shit!" I never went up to talk to him or anything, but my friends razzed him every time he went by and yelled "Twin! Hey, Twin!" at him. My friends were boneheads like that.

Superman07
11-28-06, 11:16 AM
If only you weren't separated by that piece of glass somebody put between the two of you in the dressing room...you could have shaken hands.

:lol:

Some guy on a trip in HS was running back to his room at the hotel and ran into himself. Everybody was like, "Didn't you see yourself coming?"

IDrinkMolson
11-28-06, 11:20 AM
Apparently I have one. Everytime I go in this one sub shop, the manager always thinks I'm a cop and sometimes offers me a discount because, 'he's on the job'.
She knows me from when I worked at a grocery store while I was in high school. When I tell her this she always says there's a cop that looks just like me. And one time there were two county cops in there and she said it again, and I had to yell 'it's not me, I'm the one that worked at the grocery store!'
There was a waitress at Denny's that told me the same thing one time, asking me if I was a cop and said I look just like him.
But I never met/saw him.

sundog
11-28-06, 11:27 AM
My last year in college I was eating dinner when 2 younger students approached me with an unsettling deference. They mistook me for their grad-student instructor. And I had to convince them of their error. Sure my attire and look was typical disillusioned college student fare, but overall I was not a person people confused with others. Overlooked, no doubt, but never mistaken for another person.

Today, if I was 4 inches taller and dressed in a typical business casual manner I would see my doppelganger every night at the train station.

obscurelabel
11-28-06, 11:40 AM
I had a weird experience with this once ...

I was working with one of our IT guys on a server problem, and we asked someone from another division of our company to help. The IT guy had met him, but I hadn't. When he arrived, I noticed immediately that he had a VERY strong resemblance to a younger me. Neither he nor I mentioned anything about this. When he left, our IT guy gave me a look and said something like "Did you notice anything about ***** ? ...". I said "Besides that he looked just like me?". He hadn't said anything because he wanted to see my reaction.

BTW, I've never seen the fellow again.

printerati
11-28-06, 01:08 PM
A girl I used to work was convinced that she saw me downtown one day. She was banging on her new office window trying to get this guy's attention, thinking it was me. I told her that it was obviously wasn't me, as I definitely would have responded to a 6' slender blonde calling for me. She agreed.

JasonF
11-28-06, 01:19 PM
In law school, I once got yelled at for messing up a classroom I hadn't been in. Turns out, there was a guy a year ahead of me who apparently looked just like me, at least to the woman who was yelling at me (I didn't see that much of a resemblance, personally).

shizawn
11-28-06, 01:55 PM
No, but I've met my hand twin.

Dash
11-28-06, 02:01 PM
Apperently I have one in the same town that I live in. My friends dad is convinced that he saw me driving a cab the other week. Apperently my friends have seen someone who looks just like me around town as well. I wish I could meet him. Im just thinking of all the trouble I could get myself into with a double.

Bronkster
11-28-06, 02:20 PM
When I was in my late teens/early 20s I was told a number of times that I looked just like some other guy in the area, and had been mistaken for him once. Never met him though.

the guy was like 'why are you back, I just served you?' - this just sounds like a great idea to do to people for the heck of it.

MartinBlank
11-28-06, 02:59 PM
I apparently have about 4...all different ages, all living in the same county. I've also been told I look like John Cusack, which I discovered in a different thread is pretty common.

Technically, isn't a doppleganger the opposite twin of yourself? The Bizzaro version? You're the good on and it's the evil one...or if you're evil, you're doppleganger would be the good one? Just that.

nodeerforamonth
11-28-06, 03:20 PM
When I was in my late teens/early 20s I was told a number of times that I looked just like some other guy in the area, and had been mistaken for him once. Never met him though.

- this just sounds like a great idea to do to people for the heck of it.

Yeah, I did something like that once in college. I was about 10 feet away from my bus stop running to it, and my bus just flew past me. The driver knew I was heading to it. So I ran for the stop that was 2 stops later... cutting through a parking lot, a hospital, and sat there at the bus stop. By the time she got there, I wasn't winded at all. I get on the bus. She goes "Didn't I just see you at the campus stop?". I said "No. What are you talking about?"

I think I met my future self about six months ago, but I guess that doesn't count as a doppleganger.

Giles
11-28-06, 03:23 PM
Technically, isn't a doppleganger the opposite twin of yourself? The Bizzaro version? You're the good on and it's the evil one...or if you're evil, you're doppleganger would be the good one? Just that.

I might in fact be using the wrong word, since Dictionary reference.com has 3 listings all quite interesting:

- a ghostly double or counterpart of a living person

-A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.

- alter ego

milo bloom
11-28-06, 03:53 PM
I've been told I look like Trey Anastasio from Phish. I admit there's some resemblance.

twikoff
11-28-06, 04:08 PM
i think i work with mine :eek:

j123vt_99
11-28-06, 04:44 PM
Everywhere I go, I always hear "You look exactly like _____ (my brother, my friend, my cousin, etc)"... Hear it at least once a week. I always reply "Really, he must be pretty good looking" and hilarity ensues. I guess I have that generic white guy look.

milo bloom
11-28-06, 09:16 PM
I forgot a story I meant to tell earlier: a few years back a friend of the family went into a convenience store for something and the clerk asked "why are you back, did you forget something?" And my friend is like, what? So he goes back outside and there's his brother he hadn't seen in like a couple of decades. He'd been living a few miles away for years.

krkuhl
11-28-06, 10:15 PM
like martin blank, i have multiple twins, which i suppose makes us quads?

working in a bar, guy says i look jsut like his niece. ok yeah, whatever. guy comes back in a few weeks later and has a picture of her. if i hadnt known it wasnt me, i would have thought it WAS me. the resemblance was that uncanny, or at least in the photo

ex bf f/ college was dating a girl, sent me a picture of me. Outside of the height and boobs (she is a midgt practically), we look eerily similar

last is one of my really good friends. Confuses the hell out of our coworkers, patients, attendings, etc. i have had patients of hers chase me down all over the hospital and call me by her name. personally, i think we resemble eachother but dont look that much alike. and, oddly enough, people always call me by her name, but she rarely gets called by my name--i guess i dont really exist :(

mh4268
11-28-06, 10:27 PM
I went to college with him. His name was Carl, once I was in the library and they wanted to give me his college id. I tried to take pics of him, but they came out like big foot pics, just a bit blurry. Fortunately I was about a foot taller then him, so my doppelganger got the shaft. Booyah

krkuhl
11-28-06, 10:48 PM
Yes. As a kid in California when I was on vacation. What made it even more eerie, was that he was wearing the exact same clothes. And it wasn't common clothing either. Freaky stuff.

:drool: a deftones sandwich -other-

matta
11-28-06, 11:01 PM
Yup. Once I was at the Mall of Georgia when the power went out (in 2001, just after 9/11). My girlfriend (now wife) really wanted a pretzel, so we went to the pretzel shop. When I walked up the lady said hi and knew my name. Then she asked how I got "out there". I said "what?" and she said "wait a second", went in the back, and came out with 4 other people. They all said "oh wow" then they called the manager outside. The dude was my 100% copy. He even had the same facial hair (which was cool at the time and is now gone) and everything. The same name thing was kinda strange, too.

Lucky bastard.

ninjalove
11-29-06, 03:11 AM
My mom was heading off to France and she was looking through a brochure before her trip. At a cafe was a guy that was ME exactly and he was hitting up an old lady. We all tripped out because I have a very unique look. Well, it's unique to me and Johnny Depp anyway ;)

Maybe it was Johnny Depp in the picture now that I think about it.

I always thought maybe it was me and went back in time. Maybe that old lady had something to do with the end of world and I had to stop her!!! ;)

freshticles
11-29-06, 04:29 AM
I used to get endlessly compared to the singer from sum 41..until i stopped dying my hair black (his was black at the time i believe)...no more comparisons...

I was with my friend one night at Tim Hortons and we saw his double. They looked identical..it messed with his head so bad that we had to leave..

MY drummer once thought he found his double working in the drum department at a music store...turns out all tall, skinny semi-bald guys with full beards look the same...no joke

Puzznic
11-29-06, 05:10 AM
I never met mine but I did see him on an electric shaver package when I was shopping at Wal-Mart.

james2025a
11-29-06, 11:55 AM
I have not met my doppleganger...but i met one of my friends brothers. It was funny because i was doing Christmas shopping a few years ago and i saw him walking in front of me. I stopped him and said "Alright Phil how are you?" He looked at me a little weird but started talking to me and saying he was doing ok. After about 5 minutes of this i got a very strange feeling and said to him "Your not who i think you are...are you." He said that he didn't know me, but thought he might have met me before and just forgotten me. Both guys names were Phil and they both lived in the same city (Leeds, UK) and they are identical. It was uncanny. Always gives me a laugh thinking about it.

kvrdave
11-29-06, 02:09 PM
Hell, I nearly froze it off.

TomOpus
11-29-06, 09:22 PM
I have met many dopplegangers.... but not mine.