DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Buffy Chosen Collection $115/$95 Buy.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Chosen Collection $115/$95 Buy.com

I think some folks were looking for this during the DDD sale -

http://www.buy.com/prod/Buffy_the_Va.../40722957.html

$115.90 shipped before Google Checkout, $95.90 after Google Checkout.
Old 11-27-06, 10:24 PM

wow...sweet find, i've been looking for a good price for this. thanks a lot OP
Old 11-27-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Hmm In stock soon, 1-2 weeks. How reliable is Buy.com on something like that?
Old 11-27-06, 10:45 PM

I don't order from them a ton, but I haven't had any problems in the past.

Just a note - without rushing anybody who is on the fence, this may be a "Cyber Monday" thing only, so I'm not sure whether the price will last much longer.
Old 11-27-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it is not currently in stock, google checkout will not work.
Old 11-27-06, 11:02 PM

A couple of notes from other sources on this I feel duty bound to report as the OP (I already have this so am not ordering myself, but just wanted to pass on the deal to those looking)

1) The price has been available (depending on availability) for a few days, so I don't think it is a Cyber Monday exclusive.

2) It's not precisely clear when they will get more stock. If you use the Google checkout, they will charge you immediately if that matters to you.

3) The item is showing as "in stock soon", and for whatever reason the GCO link is showing up on the page.
Old 11-27-06, 11:13 PM

Google checkout does work, but when adding to cart the price was $117.99 + $2.90 budget shipping -$20 Google Checkout. New final total is $100.89. Still not a bad deal.
Old 11-27-06, 11:16 PM

Thats right I tried checking out using GCO and the discount works.....The total comes to $100.89 including shipping $2.90
Old 11-27-06, 11:33 PM

hey, I am thinking of buying buffy the vampire as a blind buy. I have heard of some colleagues watching this show but really have never seen an episode. I was turned off by the whole premise, being about a teenager who fights demons and vampires. It sounds rather shallow and would probably only appeal to teenagers, which I am not.

However, it seems to be a very popular set and I passed it up many a times in the past while in walmart. Anyone can comment on the entertainment value of this thing? Is it good or just teenage fluff?
Old 11-28-06, 12:04 AM

This isn't really the place for more than a superficial discussion of the content. You will probably find a lot more helpful information by digging up the reviews and reading old threads in the main forum.
Old 11-28-06, 12:22 AM

That's a ridiculously low price for one of the greatest series in the history of television.
Old 11-28-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psm129
Thats right I tried checking out using GCO and the discount works.....The total comes to $100.89 including shipping $2.90
I bit for $100... Too bad it isn't really $113 like it says. $95.90 sounded much nicer. Was it ever really that price, or did they raise it?

EDIT: I cancelled my order after placing it at barnesandnoble.com for $82.35 SHIPPED with the 25% off coupon and 10% off AAA discount... Someone posted that somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. GREAT DEAL!!!

Last edited by kenbenobi; 11-28-06 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 01:05 AM

I'm in

Last edited by Pookymeister; 11-28-06 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
hey, I am thinking of buying buffy the vampire as a blind buy. I have heard of some colleagues watching this show but really have never seen an episode. I was turned off by the whole premise, being about a teenager who fights demons and vampires. It sounds rather shallow and would probably only appeal to teenagers, which I am not.

However, it seems to be a very popular set and I passed it up many a times in the past while in walmart. Anyone can comment on the entertainment value of this thing? Is it good or just teenage fluff?
Despite understanding & partially agreeing with the reservations of some posters re: discussion of content in this thread, I do think we can be charitable enough to recommend a product to a fellow DVDtalker considering a blind buy. So here's my 2 cents: Buffy (and its companion show, Angel) are two of the most intelligently-written, compelling, and downright entertaining shows from the past 2 decades. My wife & I (both in our 50's now) had the same reservations about the show: the premise seemed pretty silly & shallow (we had seen the movie), designed for teens, and didn't seem to have much promise for the long haul. Boy, were we wrong! We just happened to catch a second-season episode one night...and we were immediately hooked! We fell in love with the characters & their personal turmoils as much as with the action. Though not perfect, the shows were better than 99% of the rest of tv...and they were one of the few shows that felt 'original' in their presentation. For us, they quickly became "must-see" tv...two of the few shows that we actually looked forward to eagerly each week & hurried home to see (or taped). You may love Buffy or you may hate it (you DO have to be able to enjoy fantasy/supernatural elements to some degree)...but don't feel that you need to avoid it because it would seem to appeal only to teens/college set. In this case, appearances really were deceiving. (BTW: The episode "Hush"...played almost entirely without dialogue...is one of the most original television episodes that we have EVER seen on any show in over five decades of tv viewing...we found it reminiscent of the great Twilight Zone episode in which the old woman found herself fighting the small alien invaders in her house). Highly recommended...and a steal at this price (we paid 30+ dollars for most of our sets & never regretted it). And this is one of those sets that is not just a bunch of individual sets 'bundled' together...it is really a neat presentation box. Good enough that we bought a set last year at $110.

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-28-06 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 05:39 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Price raised to $169.xx before discount. And no free shipping. They don't give you a chance to think about these things.
If you see a deal you may want grab it. It may not be there the next time you look.

It is $ 119,98 at B&N . $107.98 with AAA 10% discount. Another 25% off if you use code X9Y3G8Y (expires today) . Another 10% off if you are a B&N member. Local sales tax additional.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...904&x=22062811

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-28-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat

I felt the same way about the series, but finally sat down and watched it and found it to be very entertaining. The show grows with its cast, as they face the problems of a high school student to those of a young adult.

For $100 it's worth it. The last 2 seasons are pretty bad (although they both have their moments), but just the first 5 good seasons for $100 is a steal.
Old 11-28-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WARNING!!!!!!

If you order this, be warned! If any of the DVDs are messed up, FOX will not replace them for you! Even though the discs themselves are the same as in the current season set releases, FOX Home Video's policy is to make you return the ENTIRE set for a replacement. Since this set is technically out of print, they will not replace anything for you.

The reason I bring this up is that I bought this when it was first released and didn't watch it right away. When I did, I realized that I had 2 disc 4's for season 2 and no disc 5. (Those familiar with S2 will easily be able to sympathize with my horror!)

Check through all for duplicates when you get it. This thread details how I got my missing disc replaced.
Old 11-28-06, 10:54 AM

25% off coupon and 10% off AAA discount...???

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
How do you add the AAA discount once you've added the 25% off coupon??? I'm trying to figure it out...
I just did a Google search and answered my own question... For those who want to use their AAA discount you need to go to: AAA.com/barnesandnoble

and then use code X9Y3G8Y to save 25% off 1 item.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by BlockbusterDude; 11-28-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I bit for $100... Too bad it isn't really $113 like it says. $95.90 sounded much nicer. Was it ever really that price, or did they raise it?

EDIT: I cancelled my order after placing it at barnesandnoble.com for $82.35 SHIPPED with the 25% off coupon and 10% off AAA discount... Someone posted that somewhere, but I can't find it anymore. GREAT DEAL!!!
I too cancelled my order with buy.com and ordered the set through B&N. $83.05 is alot better than $95 and change. I was SO tempted to use my college intercollegiate tax exempt code, would have save me $5. Just couldn't come up with a way to connect a chess club to Buffy. Wasn't worth the risk.

EDIT: When I cancelled my order with buy.com, it says that its possible that the item my still ship out if its already sent to the warehouse. Guess if I end up with two sets, i could stick the extra on ebay or hit the dvd exchange forum.

Last edited by pie-crust; 11-28-06 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 12:08 AM

I've been waiting for a deal on this for awhile; I'm essentially broke now but I think it was worth it!

I picked it up from Barnes and Nobles. I dont know any AAA people so I couldnt get that discount, but I used the 25% off and got the free travelers bag as well. Total came to $97.40.

Thanks to those who pointed out that deal!
Old 11-29-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
$84.42 with the 25% and AAA discount, and I added a TPB I could not get at Amazon, and the total still only came out to $98.05...below a hundred for a book and $200.00 retail DVD set...NICE! I forgot to add the free tote bag to my order, but hey, I am not complaining, considering Amazon still sells this set for 169.99, I am one happy camper.
Old 11-29-06, 10:14 AM

Looks like B&N raised their price to $179.98, so that deal's gone.
Old 11-29-06, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dplatt
Looks like B&N raised their price to $179.98, so that deal's gone.
Coupon expired 28th too, i believe
Old 11-29-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
Coupon expired 28th too, i believe
I believe there is a new 25% off B&N coupon code floating around: B3U6E4V

Perhaps B&N has learned it is beneficial to actually sell something for once, albeit at a 25% discount, rather than losing the sale time after time to lower priced competitors. But I am sure this will not last long.
Old 11-29-06, 01:00 PM

was able to cancel my buy.com order and get it from bn for ~$80 shipped!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.