Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do Women Talk Too Much?

edstein
11-27-06, 09:28 PM
This has got to earn the "no shit" award of the month.

Women talk three times as much as men, says study.

It is something one half of the population has long suspected - and the other half always vocally denied. Women really do talk more than men.

In fact, women talk almost three times as much as men, with the average woman chalking up 20,000 words in a day - 13,000 more than the average man.

Women also speak more quickly, devote more brainpower to chit-chat - and actually get a buzz out of hearing their own voices, a new book suggests.

The book - written by a female psychiatrist - says that inherent differences between the male and female brain explain why women are naturally more talkative than men.

In The Female Mind, Dr Luan Brizendine says women devote more brain cells to talking than men.

And, if that wasn't enough, the simple act of talking triggers a flood of brain chemicals which give women a rush similar to that felt by heroin addicts when they get a high.

Dr Brizendine, a self-proclaimed feminist, says the differences can be traced back to the womb, where the sex hormone testosterone moulds the developing male brain.

The areas responsible for communication, emotion and memory are all pared back the unborn baby boy.

The result is that boys - and men - chat less than their female counterparts and struggle to express their emotions to the same extent.

"Women have an eight-lane superhighway for processing emotion, while men have a small country road," said Dr Brizendine, who runs a female "mood and hormone" clinic in San Francisco.

There are, however, advantages to being the strong, silent type. Dr Brizendine explains that testosterone also reduces the size of the section of the brain involved in hearing - allowing men to become "deaf" to the most logical of arguments put forward by their wives and girlfriends.

But what the male brain may lack in converstation and emotion, they more than make up with in their ability to think about sex.

Dr Brizendine says the brain's "sex processor" - the areas responsible for sexual thoughts - is twice as big as in men than in women, perhaps explaining why men are stereotyped as having sex on the mind.

Or, to put it another way, men have an international airport for dealing with thoughts about sex, "where women have an airfield nearby that lands small and private planes".

Studies have shown that while a man will think about sex every 52 seconds, the subject tends to cross women's minds just once a day, the University of California psychiatrist says.

Dr Brizendine, whose book is based on her own clinical work and analyses of more than 1,000 scientific studies, added: "There is no unisex brain.

"Girls arrive already wired as girls, and boys arrive already wired as boys. Their brains are different by the time they're born, and their brains are what drive their impulses, values and their very reality.

"I know it is not politically correct to say this but I've been torn for years between my politics and what science is telling us.

"I believe women actually perceive the world differently from men.

"If women attend to those differences they can make better decisions about how to manage their lives."

Other scientists, however, are sceptical about the effects of testosterone on the brain and say many of the differences between the male and female personality can be explained by social conditioning, with a child's upbringing greatly influencing their character.

Deborah Cameron, an Oxford University linguistics professor with a special interest in language and gender, said the amount we talk is influenced by who we are with and what we are doing.

She added: "If you aggregate a large number of studies you will find there is little difference between the amount men and women talk."

Already available in the US, The Female Brain will be available in the UK from April.

Story Link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=419040&in_page_id=1879)

Kittydreamer
11-27-06, 09:37 PM
Durr.

chente
11-27-06, 09:39 PM
Durr.

rotfl

das Monkey
11-27-06, 09:43 PM
Article

Women actually get a buzz out of hearing their own voices, a new book suggests.
This is consistent with my experience, as all I hear is a loud buzz when women are speaking too.

das

Kittydreamer
11-27-06, 09:45 PM
This is consistent with my experience, as all I hear is a loud buzz when women are speaking too.

das

Ooh this is going to make you very popular, das. ;)

krkuhl
11-27-06, 09:46 PM
what?!?! women talk more than men??!?! you so gotta be kidding me. i mean, really, this totally pisses me off. What ignorant sexist person says this? and who cares that it was written by a women? this ist he type of media hype that we all listen to and get brainwashed into believing our society's steroetypes. oh, speaking of stereo's, maybe i shoulda put that on my christmas list. but christmas is just too commercial nowadays anyways, so why bother? its all those damn liberals making it an antireligious holiday and crap. and what??? no peace wreath? come on people, wake up! Damn, i hate waking up. especially early. waking up befor ethe sun does is just wrong. and tomorrow morning is going to suck more because im still here at work at 9:40 at night, thanks to ignorant, incompetant people who cant do their job, but lie to cover their asses. too bad they cant get fired. if only people were held responsible for their actions. i really think that is what is wrong wtih society nowadays--people are just not held accountable for their actions, always the "victim" of some circumstance, some problem, no money, area they live in, culture, ethnicity, education, or whatnot. always expecting to get something because it is owed to them, and they deserve it. you know what they deserve?!?! my big foot up their ass, that's what! i think some added responsibility would do this nation good! smack some people around, yeah, that's right, bring back some curel and unusual punishment! bring back chain gangs! my kid WORK for an allowance, rather than get a porche 911 and wrap it around a toll booth. maybe then they would understand the value of money and perhaps not be so damn self centered all the time. And tougher drug laws, yeah, we need that too. and hold teachers responsible for teaching, and pay the ones who actually DO teach a competative salary so teaching becomes a desireable field rather than one you go into and people pity you. Maybe if we had better teachers boys would learn the value of language and learn to talk more, open up, express their emotions, and learn to communicate! sheesh!

but, back to my point, i mean really, women dont babble on that much, do they?!?! I think not

The Cow
11-27-06, 09:46 PM
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-wink-

Kittydreamer
11-27-06, 09:49 PM
-wink-

Damn, I thought I took the batteries out of that thing.

das Monkey
11-27-06, 09:49 PM
:lol:

Bacon
11-27-06, 09:51 PM
Damn, I thought I took the batteries out of that thing.
rotfl :lol:

Coral
11-27-06, 09:53 PM
That's just ridiculous.

Next thing you know they'll be telling us that women nag as well.

Rockmjd23
11-27-06, 10:52 PM
Already available in the US, The Female Brain will be available in the UK from April.

If the UK was smart, they would stop this shipment.

edstein
11-27-06, 11:26 PM
:rimshot:

M2theAX
11-27-06, 11:41 PM
She added: "If you aggregate a large number of studies you will find there is little difference between the amount men and women talk."

The first two words of the sentence, not the qoute back this theory. They always have to add something...

slop101
11-28-06, 11:32 AM
True story.

So I'm sitting in traffic with nothing better to do than count the cars go by.

Out of about 200 cars, about 120 were men drivers and 80 were women drivers. 40 (or about a third) of the men were on their cell-phones. Whereas about 60 (or 75%) of the women were on their cells.

Just this morning, I had some bitch make a right turn right in front of me - she couldn't see me because her left hand was holding a cell phone, basically putting a blinder on her left side - this sort of thing happens to me almost daily, and it's ALWAYS women, distracted, talking on their cell phones and never men. Just SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DRIVE, BITCH!!! ahem, sorry...

RunBandoRun
11-28-06, 11:38 AM
No, women don't talk too much. It's just that men don't listen enough. :D

Geofferson
11-28-06, 11:45 AM
Yet another study that tells the obvious. ;)

Geofferson
11-28-06, 11:48 AM
No, women don't talk too much. It's just that men don't listen enough. :D
From the article, you are actually right:

There are, however, advantages to being the strong, silent type. Dr Brizendine explains that testosterone also reduces the size of the section of the brain involved in hearing - allowing men to become "deaf" to the most logical of arguments put forward by their wives and girlfriends.
:)

Brian Shannon
11-28-06, 11:58 AM
After spending the holiday with many female members of my family I understand the title of the thread.

What I don't get is why they continue to rehash the same subjects and continue to repeat themselves after they have just spent the last 15 minutes talking about the same thing! :hairpull:

RunBandoRun
11-28-06, 11:59 AM
After spending the holiday with many female members of my family I understand the title of the thread.

What I don't get is why they continue to rehash the same subjects and continue to repeat themselves after they have just spent the last 15 minutes talking about the same thing! :hairpull:

It's a girl thing. ;)

Groucho
11-28-06, 12:04 PM
Grunts and scratches the self.

Minor Threat
11-28-06, 12:10 PM
men have an international airport for dealing with thoughts about sex, "where women have an airfield nearby that lands small and private planes".

I wish I had a small or private plane to land..... :(

al_bundy
11-28-06, 01:05 PM
john gray figured this out long long ago

grrrah
11-28-06, 01:27 PM
to the most logical of arguments put forward by their wives and girlfriends.

uh oh, he is losing credibility

The Cow
11-28-06, 01:30 PM
:hscratch:

shoppingbear
11-28-06, 01:35 PM
Durr. rotfl :lol:

john gray figured this out long long ago Yep, that was my first thought, and he explained better why. There's also a good book called "You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation" by Deborah Tannen... see here (http://www.amazon.com/You-Just-Dont-Understand-Conversation/dp/0060959622/sr=1-2/dvdtalk/dvdtalk/qid=1164742171/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-0090844-5192909?ie=UTF8&s=books)...
she not only covers all this in depth, but explains the "why" behind it, though I don't necessarily agree with everything she writes (this book was assigned as optional reading in my college Linguistic Anthropology course, it turned out to be good enough that I kept the book and still have it years later). :)

Giles
11-28-06, 01:39 PM
I know guys who talk to much...

shoppingbear
11-28-06, 01:45 PM
OK, just read the ENTIRE (long) article in the first post...

The result is that boys - and men - chat less than their female counterparts and struggle to express their emotions to the same extent.

"Women have an eight-lane superhighway for processing emotion, while men have a small country road," said Dr Brizendine, who runs a female "mood and hormone" clinic in San Francisco.
rotfl :lol:

Women also speak more quickly, devote more brainpower to chit-chat - and actually get a buzz out of hearing their own voices, a new book suggests.....
...the simple act of talking triggers a flood of brain chemicals which give women a rush similar to that felt by heroin addicts when they get a high. :lol: This explains a lot.

My boyfriend finds it amusing that when we're out somewhere and we have to wait in line (Disneyland, movie theater, store check-out), I'm the one who gets annoyed if we're trapped near a couple of teenage girls, because they NEVER SHUT UP! :grunt: There are times we're in line for 20 minutes (Disneyland), and they literally never stop, sometimes continuing non-stop chatter about absolutely nothing related to what they're doing (ie, not about Disneyland or the ride or anything related), ALL through the ride, even movie-type or narration rides. :hairpull: I've actually said something to them a few times, and they're back at it within minutes.

mosquitobite
11-28-06, 02:28 PM
um... :blush:

I don't think I talk too much...

Wait... is chatting online the same as talking? :hscratch:

DarthVong
11-28-06, 02:35 PM
I don't think women talk too much.

Ok, now that my wife has left the room to talk to her friend on the phone for the 10th time today......Yes, yes they do talk too much.

squidget
11-28-06, 03:18 PM
I think its expected of us. For example, me and a friend (male) were over at a coworkers house at thanksgiving. We all work together (me friend, coworkers, other guests) everyone was chatting but myself and my friend were simply eating (dinner was late I was starving) The host turns to me and says "squidget why aren't you saying anything?"
But nothing is said to my friend. It's pefectly normal that he can sit in silence but I cannot. It also happens when I'm on road trips with people (male or female) I like to space out in the car and can go for long stretches w/o saying anything. I get called on it that I'm being too quiet.

VinVega
11-28-06, 03:28 PM
I guess since women talk too much and men don't listen well enough, the message gets across in the end. All the extraneous babble is filtered out by the cave man listening skills, so the actual message gets processed. :D

We then proceed to ignore the message or request. That's just laziness, not lack of listening skills.

SleepyW
11-28-06, 03:48 PM
If women talk 3x as much as men on Earth, and men are truly from Mars, and women are from Venus, then take this into consideration:

* x=how much men talk based on Earth days
* Mars' orbit is 1.88x longer than that of Earth, and since men are from Mars, they actually only talk x/1.88
* The orbit of Venus is 224.7 days (1.6x faster than Earth), meaning women actually talk a higher percentage of the year, since the year (compared to earth) is shorter

Based on those figures, I surmise that women actually talk 9.16 times more than men, based on the natural places of origin for each. I find this number more realistic.

darkflounder
11-28-06, 07:23 PM
It's a girl thing. ;)

My dad does the same thing. But I think it's Alzheimers in his case.

Well, at least he has an excuse. :rolleyes:

wabio
11-29-06, 01:58 AM
If this premise is indeed true.....then another fact must also invariably be true. Women don't "listen" as much as men, since we all know you can't talk and listen to others at the same time. ;)

TomOpus
11-29-06, 07:39 AM
um... :blush:

I don't think I talk too much...

Wait... is chatting online the same as talking? :hscratch:Bzzzzzzzzzzz