Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Double sided posters question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Anyone know if double sided movie posters are also printed single sided(authentic). Been looking at some on ebay and some sellers say d/s while others don't mention it all on the same poster.
Old 11-27-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's possible, but most of the newer posters are double sided. There are some older 1-sided original releases, but they're few and far between. Even more important is to make sure the poster is either 27x40 or 27x41. A lot of ebay sellers try to pass reprints off as originals, and reprints are usually sized at 27x39. I've got about 200 original movie posters, but I'm not sure of any way to verify if a single sided 27x40 poster is an original or not.
Old 11-27-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I worked at a movie theater in the late 90's and we would have double-sided and single-sided authentic posters. I don't know if that has changed in the past few years to all double-sided.
Old 11-27-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a specific title you are looking for? Something more popular I would be a bit more wary about.
Old 11-27-06, 05:02 PM
Banned

I believe Dreamworks is the only major studio that does not print single sided one sheets anymore. Check out movieposterforum.com. They seem to know what they are talking about. Many of the members there deal directly with the studios.
Old 11-27-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Is there a specific title you are looking for? Something more popular I would be a bit more wary about.
Three I'm looking at right now:

DIE ANOTHER DAY(ADVANCE) GUN ON ICE CUBE- there's a listing at $25 mentions it's d/s another at $10 doesn't say either way. Both 27x40

KING KONG (ADVANCE) EMPIRE STATE BUILDING seems to be listed both ways

POTC 1st Movie(ADVANCE) SKELETON
Old 11-27-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Three I'm looking at right now:

DIE ANOTHER DAY(ADVANCE) GUN ON ICE CUBE- there's a listing at $25 mentions it's d/s another at $10 doesn't say either way. Both 27x40

KING KONG (ADVANCE) EMPIRE STATE BUILDING seems to be listed both ways

POTC 1st Movie(ADVANCE) SKELETON
All of those would likely fall into the category of being reprinted due to popularity of the respective films.

How do you plan on displaying (framed?) it? Are you looking at it as a collectible or more a decoration for a room?
Old 11-27-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All of those would likely fall into the category of being reprinted due to popularity of the respective films.

How do you plan on displaying (framed?) it? Are you looking at it as a collectible or more a decoration for a room?
I'm going to backlight them so I want to be sure to get d/s. There are several recent films(past 5 years or so) I want to pick up the posters for. I figure I can afford to backlight two(you only live once and can't take it with you) and lay in a supply of recent films and then keep up with new ones as they are released. Rotate them monthly. I've also been collecting German lobby cards to recent films that have english text and will frame probably four around each 1 sheet lightbox as a kind of lobby display. Been collecting and lighting mylars for a couple years but not feeling satisfied and want to move over to 1 sheets.
Old 11-27-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to backlight them so I want to be sure to get d/s. There are several recent films(past 5 years or so) I want to pick up the posters for. I figure I can afford to backlight two(you only live once and can't take it with you) and lay in a supply of recent films and then keep up with new ones as they are released. Rotate them monthly. I've also been collecting German lobby cards to recent films that have english text and will frame probably four around each 1 sheet lightbox as a kind of lobby display. Been collecting and lighting mylars for a couple years but not feeling satisfied and want to move over to 1 sheets.
That's cool. If you are going to go as far as getting a backlight frame, then I would spend the extra cash and make sure are getting the real deal. I would avoid anyone that does not specifically mention the DS and definately look at the feedback.

I don't buy that many new releases nowadays since I literally have over a hundred poster tubes in my closet at the moment. There is a dealer that I trust from one of my movie poster boards that I can give contact info for. He might have some of the older recent posters, but will definately get the new releases for decent prices.
Old 11-27-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's cool. If you are going to go as far as getting a backlight frame, then I would spend the extra cash and make sure are getting the real deal. I would avoid anyone that does not specifically mention the DS and definately look at the feedback.
Yea. I poked around at some retail sites and they list three versions on a lot of them.
Original double-sided
Original single-sided
Reprint

All measure 27x40. I'll just stick the those that specificly mention d/s.
Old 11-27-06, 08:43 PM
Banned

Yea. I poked around at some retail sites and they list three versions on a lot of them.
Original double-sided
Original single-sided
Reprint

All measure 27x40. I'll just stick the those that specificly mention d/s.
Being D/S does not neccessarily mean the poster is original. They have been reprinting D/S posters for years. Many times they are hard to differentiate even when you are comparing a known original and a known reprint side by side.