Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use 5minutestolive.com?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-26-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a copy of The Unholy Three there, and it's one I've been dying to see. They give it a "B" for picture quality, but I don't know too much about them. 21 bucks for a public domain CD-R (with shipping) seems a bit steep, but it appears to be the only way of viewing this film. Anyone ever use this website?
Old 11-27-06, 12:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Ordering through this company is a complete nightmare!

It took me 6 weeks to get the DVDs they promised I would have within 5-7 days. The only time they ever responded to my emails was when I threatened a charge back through my credit card. I actually had the paperwork for the chargeback ready to mail when my package arrived.

I even told them I would be posting their responses here on DVDTalk for thousands of members to read, but they didn't care.

Oh, also their phone number doesn't work and they have disabled the "login" screen on their webpage so that it's impossible to check the status of your order.

You can read about this under:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....5minutestolive

Last edited by rich-y; 11-27-06 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the post rich-y. Looks like a super hassle but I'm pretty desperate for this flick so I'll take the plunge. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-02-06, 11:44 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Thanks for the post rich-y. Looks like a super hassle but I'm pretty desperate for this flick so I'll take the plunge. *fingers crossed*
Wow. Why did you ask if this company was reputable? You were told the company is terrible, good chance they won't bother to ship your product at all, and are still going to order? I guess I don't understand that one.

From reading that other thread, they sound like a total nightmare. You might as well start preparing the chargeback forms....

Good luck, I guess. Sounds like you'll need it.
Old 12-03-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I've seen his ads in Shock Cinema, and was considering ordering. I guess there's always that risk when you are not really dealing with a company, but rather what is most likely one guy doing this out of his house. More of a hobby than a real business, and if he's flakey, or if something gets screwed up in his personal life, good luck seeing what you ordered.
Old 12-03-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbs
Wow. Why did you ask if this company was reputable? You were told the company is terrible, good chance they won't bother to ship your product at all, and are still going to order? I guess I don't understand that one.
Others seem to have received their titles eventually, though a hassle was involved. The Unholy Three is my most wanted title not available on dvd or vhs, so I'm willing to go through a pretty extensive amount of bullshit in order to get a copy. If it were any other film, I wouldn't even bother with these guys, but I'll jump through hoops for this title.
Old 12-03-06, 10:45 PM

Others seem to have received their titles eventually, though a hassle was involved. The Unholy Three is my most wanted title not available on dvd or vhs, so I'm willing to go through a pretty extensive amount of bullshit in order to get a copy. If it were any other film, I wouldn't even bother with these guys, but I'll jump through hoops for this title.
You will go through a lot of BS, but you will probably get your disc. Just be prepared to wait about 6 weeks and don't anticipate any customer service options at all.

By the way, make sure you read the descriptions on their web page detailing the different quality levels they have to offer (so you will be satisfied with what arrives). If it says "B" you can rest assured that it is a VHS copy that they transferred to DVD (at least that's the way it looks to me).

Last edited by rich-y; 12-03-06 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They played both versions of The Unholy Three on TCM in late October.
Old 12-06-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vivresavie
They played both versions of The Unholy Three on TCM in late October.
If only I had cable....
Old 12-06-06, 04:56 PM

I don't know which version you're looking for, but TCM is showing the silent one on the 15th. I've been extracting all the TCM Underground films from my tivo, and I can burn it for you.
Old 12-06-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received an email that my title has shipped. We shall see....
Thanks a lot for the offer i86time - if the quality of the version I ordered is dodgy, I might take you up on that. Does TCM do any kind of remastering before they broadcast stuff, or would it be the same as the version I ordered, which received a B grade from 5minutestolive?
Old 12-07-06, 12:37 AM

Just received an email that my title has shipped. We shall see....
Thanks a lot for the offer i86time - if the quality of the version I ordered is dodgy, I might take you up on that. Does TCM do any kind of remastering before they broadcast stuff, or would it be the same as the version I ordered, which received a B grade from 5minutestolive?
Like you, I got an email saying my items had shipped. I later got an email apology that said they were finally shipping my items out (which they didn't). Then, about 2 weeks later, they just showed up at my door (and the label showed they were sent just 2 days previously).

But... perhaps they have gotten better. Let us know what happens.
Old 12-07-06, 09:08 PM

Yeah this fellow makes a buck(like several others) hawking traders videos and such. I'm pretty sure you are getting DVDRs just an FYI. All his stuff comes from VHS from various different generations. If The Unholy Three is PD I'm sure you can download a decent copy maybe archive.org even has it. Couple other people run a similar operation, and I'm pretty sure they are really just one map operations. Well hope you get what ya need this guy does have some movies that have NEVER seen a home video release and are rarely on tv but I've yet to buy anything from him doubt I will. He isn't really a source for anything rare I'm sure all his stuff was obtained through trades, so keep an eye out as well.
Old 12-08-06, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Case01
I'm pretty sure you are getting DVDRs just an FYI.
I believe he actually states that which discs are DVDRs on his webpage. But I can tell you this: the packaging for the DVDs I purchased really "looked" good. Nice cover art and a screen-printed disc.
Old 12-11-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD arrived in the mail today. Picture quality is adequate - the B rating given on his website seems about right. DVD includes an entire second Browning silent film that looks to be a C in quality. Packaging includes cover art and a film summary on the back. I ordered the DVD on 12/2, and it arrived nine days later. Not bad at all. Glad to finally have a copy of this truly demented film, though I wish a music track was available. The bonus film has one.
Old 12-12-06, 01:29 AM

DVD arrived in the mail today. Picture quality is adequate - the B rating given on his website seems about right. DVD includes an entire second Browning silent film that looks to be a C in quality. Packaging includes cover art and a film summary on the back. I ordered the DVD on 12/2, and it arrived nine days later. Not bad at all. Glad to finally have a copy of this truly demented film, though I wish a music track was available. The bonus film has one.
Good to hear that their shipping time has gotten better. If they keep this up I might be tempted to buy from them again.
Old 12-14-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by i86time
I don't know which version you're looking for, but TCM is showing the silent one on the 15th. I've been extracting all the TCM Underground films from my tivo, and I can burn it for you.
That would be a really cool thing for you to do, I'd love a better quality version/one with sound. I'll be away from my computer for the weekend, but I could check back next week. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-06, 05:40 PM

They have a copy of The Unholy Three there, and it's one I've been dying to see. They give it a "B" for picture quality, but I don't know too much about them. 21 bucks for a public domain CD-R (with shipping) seems a bit steep, but it appears to be the only way of viewing this film. Anyone ever use this website?
You might want to check out Facets Multimedia in Chicago. They have a pretty good (better than fair) quality copy of the film on VHS with a music track. For a while they had the 1930 sound remake, but it has since gone out of print.
Old 03-28-07, 01:39 PM

What a relief to know that it does come eventually...I was looking everywhere for a bad site review since everything I've been seeing was good and was from a year ago, like that'd be any help to me.
I ordered 2 or 3 Lost and Found Video Nights over a month ago, contacted them twice with no response.
The bad thing is, if I did want to report them and try to get my money back, how could I?
So hopefully they will get here soon.
MAYBE I'd buy again, if they do get here at some point. Sucks that they have to have so much cool stuff. But what are they doing, sitting around?
Service doesn't seem to have improved.
If I get my stuff, I'll let you all know.
Old 03-28-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Well if you paid through a credit card you simply call your credit card company and ask to dispute charges. You tell them you ordered this product, and never received. You tried to contact the people, but there was no response.