Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I need a Wii for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a Wii for Dummies

I have all the past Nintendo stuff system and I HOPE to have a Wii in a few days to give to my family on Christmas. Anyway, I would love a Gudie for Dummies. I know, that sounds dumb as hell but I don't want to hook it all up and find out that I can't do everything. Such as:
Can I connect to the net or play others online by just getting the system?
I guess it comes with only one control, is it the single handle or the two part one?
Is Wii Sports and Wii System the same? Do they all come with sports or should I look for a box marked Wii Sports?
Anything you can feel to add please post it.
I do not keep up with all the latest info on the game systems.
Thanks
(I hope I can download some NES games! God I hope they have (or will add) Mario AllStars! I love that! All those games for the price of one! Or I hope they give me, Mario Lost Levels!)
thanks
Old 11-25-06, 03:58 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by 0rac
1. Can I connect to the net or play others online by just getting the system?

2. I guess it comes with only one control, is it the single handle or the two part one?

3. Is Wii Sports and Wii System the same? Do they all come with sports or should I look for a box marked Wii Sports?
1. Yes, if you have a wireless connection; such as a wireless router with your broadband connection. A wired connection requires an extra adaptor around $20. There is no 56K modem support.

2. Yes, a single controller. Yes, it's the two part version (nunchuck & remote)

3.Wii Sports comes with every Wii sold.

Please check out my Wii hardware review if you have other questions: http://www.videogametalk.com/read.php?ID=537
Old 11-25-06, 04:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I connect to the net or play others online by just getting the system?

You can connect to the net if you have wireless internet in your house. If not you can get the Nitnendo WiFi dongle to add that functionality, or an USB ethernet adapter to plug the cable into.

However online gaming isn't up yet for any of the launch games, but you can buy and download old games on the virtual console and send messages etc. now.

I guess it comes with only one control, is it the single handle or the two part one?

It comes with 1 wiimote and 1 nunchuck.

Is Wii Sports and Wii System the same? Do they all come with sports or should I look for a box marked Wii Sports?

Every Wii comes with Wiisports included currently, and there's been no announcements of it being removed any time soon.

Anything you can feel to add please post it.

Don't get suckered into buying the overpriced Wii "memory cards." First, you have 512 MB of internal memory that will last a long time for most people. Second, it just uses SD cards and you can pick up a regular one for MUCH cheaper than the Nintendo branded Sandisk ones and it will work fine.

(I hope I can download some NES games! God I hope they have (or will add) Mario AllStars! I love that! All those games for the price of one! Or I hope they give me, Mario Lost Levels!)

There's not much of note available yet. I'd love Mario Allstars as well, but I doubt we'll see it when they could sell the 3 NES originals seperately for $15 vs Allstars for $8.
Old 11-25-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I was just about to post a similar thread...

I heard that you can/will be able to play past ANY Nintendo games on the Wii, is this true? If so, how does it work, all downloadable? ...and how much per title?

What all can you do online, just download, competitive play, etc...?
Old 11-25-06, 05:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I was just about to post a similar thread...
I heard that you can/will be able to play past ANY Nintendo games on the Wii, is this true? If so, how does it work, all downloadable? ...and how much per title?
You will be able to get NES, SNES, and N64 games, as well as Turbographix 16 and Sega Genesis games. there's only around 10 available now, but they are supposed to add new games every monday.

Prices are generally $5 for the NES games, $8 for SNES/Genesis/Tx16 and $10 for N64 games. You have to buy points, which you can do through the Wii menu with a credit card, or you can buy points cards in stores to redeem through the wii.

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
What all can you do online, just download, competitive play, etc...?
Right now it's just download those games you can buy, and send messages/e-mails/your created Miis.

In the future there will be online Wii gameplay, news and weather channels and internet browsing.