Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever notice the Time Machine in Gremlins?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-25-06, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching Gremlins for the what seems like the hundredth time the other night and for the first time I noticed the Time Machine.

About 43 minutes into the film Rand Peltzer calls home from a convention and in the background there's what looks like the Time Machine from H.G. Wells' The Time Machine and the metal disc is spinning around then it cuts back to his wife at home and when it cuts back to the convention the Time Machine is gone and there's some people looking dumbfounded trying to figure out where it went.

Anyway I thought was neat to discover that after all these years of never noticing it.
Old 11-25-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep, that Joe Dante's got a wicked sense of humor.
Old 11-26-06, 06:33 AM

Isn't Robby the Robot in that scene as well?
Old 11-26-06, 08:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I feel like *I* just stepped into a time-machine talking about this movie.
Old 11-27-06, 04:18 AM
Banned

Sometimes when I am drunk or bored or both, I have some interesting thoughts about Gremlins.

1) Why is it that Gizmo is the only good Mogwai? Everytime a new Mogwai is born, it is always evil right from the start (at least going by the two movies every Mogwai except Gizmo has been evil).

2) Since the other Mogwai are already evil before turning into Gremlins, I wonder if a good Mogwai such as Gizmo would turn into a good Gremlin?

3) If Mogwai can't get wet, they must smell like shit since they can't bathe or shower.

4) It's always after midnight somewhere in the world.
Old 11-27-06, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe they clean themselves like cats do.

As for the evil...well...a bunch of really good Mogwai would be a pretty damn boring story.
Old 11-27-06, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer

1) Why is it that Gizmo is the only good Mogwai? Everytime a new Mogwai is born, it is always evil right from the start (at least going by the two movies every Mogwai except Gizmo has been evil).
Maybe bad mogwai would create good ones if they got wet.
Old 11-27-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
As for the evil...well...a bunch of really good Mogwai would be a pretty damn boring story.
exhibit one - return of the jedi
Old 11-27-06, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
yup... also animator Chuck Jones also makes a cameo in the same scene.
Old 11-27-06, 11:19 AM

2) Since the other Mogwai are already evil before turning into Gremlins, I wonder if a good Mogwai such as Gizmo would turn into a good Gremlin?
See, that would be a perfect scenario for Gremlins 3, what happens when Gizmo eats after midnight?
Old 11-27-06, 11:19 AM
Banned

Sometimes when I am drunk or bored or both, I have some interesting thoughts about Gremlins.

3) If Mogwai can't get wet, they must smell like shit since they can't bathe or shower.

4) It's always after midnight somewhere in the world.
::

I do the exact same thing. I never understood the whole "after midnight" thing. When, exactly, is it ok to start feeding them??
Old 11-27-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Detective Thorn
As is director Steven Spielberg (he's riding the machine that goes across the floor in the background).

I also believe composer Jerry Goldsmith and animator Chuck Jones have cameos in the movie...but I'm not familar with their faces, so I'm not exactly sure where.
Old 11-27-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
See, that would be a perfect scenario for Gremlins 3, what happens when Gizmo eats after midnight?
I'd love to see them tackle Gremlins 3. I'm apparently one of the few people on the planet that loved the 2nd one.
Old 11-27-06, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As is director Steven Spielberg (he's riding the machine that goes across the floor in the background).

I also believe composer Jerry Goldsmith and animator Chuck Jones have cameos in the movie...but I'm not familar with their faces, so I'm not exactly sure where.
Not sure about Jerry Goldsmith but Chuck Jones is in the scene at the bar when Billy is drawing a dragon that looks like Mrs. Deagle. The guy next to Billy who compliments him is Chuck Jones.

And bboisvert, I'm with you on Gremlins 2, I enjoyed it just as much as the original.
Old 11-27-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gremlins 2 was great. That brainiac Gremlin was funny as hell.

"We want what everyone wants: civil-i-zation. Take a look at this fellow here. *BANG!* Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized."

Paraphrased, but I love that scene.
Old 11-27-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Gremlins 2 was great. That brainiac Gremlin was funny as hell.

"We want what everyone wants: civil-i-zation. Take a look at this fellow here. *BANG!* Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized."

Paraphrased, but I love that scene.
Let's not forget his wonderful rendition of "New York, New York"

HBO showed Gremlins 2 what seemed like hundreds of times in the early 90's and I think I sat through all of the airings. I actually prefer part 2 over part 1. Blashphemy, I know, but I prefer my Gremlins with a bit of humor.
Old 11-28-06, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have seemed to have missplaced my DVD copy of Gremlins 2, but wasn't there a deleted scenes section? From what I have read numerous scenes hit the cutting room floor - I would love to see a new special edition DVD (obviousily in HiDef)