Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Shows with weak protagonists

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Shows with weak protagonists

It struck me as I was watching Grey's Anatomy how little I cared for Meredith Grey's storyline or her as a character for that matter. I realize the show is a border-line ensemble cast as equal time is given to almost everybody, but the show is named after her, and she provides the narration. So I was wondering what other shows out their you guys think have weak/uninteresting protagonists, yet you find yourself liking the show.
Old 11-25-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
How I Met Your Mother
Old 11-25-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Meredith Grey a weak character? Surely not.
Old 11-25-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sailor Moon and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Old 11-25-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jericho...
Old 11-25-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also going to say Jericho. Although I was interested in the premise, I dropped it at after several episodes because I couldn't get into any of the characters.
Old 11-25-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes Dear
Everyone Loves Raymond
Scrubs
Undeclared
Old 11-25-06, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Yes Dear
Everyone Loves Raymond
Scrubs
Undeclared
Yes Dear is a good one. It's a show I started watching recently in syndication and have liked it, but I can't stand the Anthony Clark character. If anything he seems like the foil to the Jimmy character.
Old 11-25-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see Scrubs at all.

Yes Dear is a great example.

I'd argue that Buffy the Vampire Slayer qualifies. For me, the weakest part of the show (particularly seasons 4 on) was Buffy herself. The ensemble they put around her is what kept me watching.

ETA: Seinfeld also comes to mind. In fact, a lot of sitcom set ups are all about setting up the straight man in the middle and letting people bounce off of him.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 11-25-06 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-25-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Both Buffy and Crossing Jordan have the same problem: I can't stand the title characters, but I like everyone else on both shows.
Old 11-25-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see how you'd say that about Jordan, but I am personally just so attracted to Jill Hennessy that she could play just about any character and I'd still like her.

I wish I had Dead Ringers on DVD. Yum.
Old 11-25-06, 01:22 PM

Grey's Anatomy for me as well, it's the way Ellen Pompeo looks when she talks. It's like she is have a difficult time speaking. I don't think it would be called a lisp, but it seems too forced for me. Strange I know, but it takes away from the show for me.
Old 11-25-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I can see how you'd say that about Jordan, but I am personally just so attracted to Jill Hennessy that she could play just about any character and I'd still like her.
I'm in the same boat as you on CJ. Jordan isn't the most likeable character, but Jill Hennessy is so damn attractive that it totally makes up for her character's flaws. Also, the strong supporting cast such as Jerry O'Connell and Miguel Ferrer make the show a must see for me.
Old 11-25-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
Grey's Anatomy for me as well, it's the way Ellen Pompeo looks when she talks. It's like she is have a difficult time speaking. I don't think it would be called a lisp, but it seems too forced for me. Strange I know, but it takes away from the show for me.
What it is is that Pompeo is trying to suppress her Boston accent, and her "Meredith" voice comes out sounding the way it does. I've heard her normal voice, and it sounds nothing like Meredith.
Old 11-25-06, 05:31 PM

24. There was this one episode, and Jack Bauer cried the last two minutes of it. What a joke.

Old 11-25-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple S
24. There was this one episode, and Jack Bauer cried the last two minutes of it. What a joke.

Your judging Jack Bauer on one moment when he broke down after stopping a major virus attack on Los Angeles? That's pretty unfair. But, in all honesty that was one of 24's weaker seasons. Jack Bauer is by no means whatsoever a weak Protagonist.
Old 11-25-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

3 Lbs (Stanley Tucci's character is so blase about things)
Old 11-25-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After the initial couple of seasons, I found Dawson (of Dawson's Creek) to be completely boring, but still enjoying the rest of the cast (mainly Jen and Pacey's storylines).
Old 11-25-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
After the initial couple of seasons, I found Dawson (of Dawson's Creek) to be completely boring, but still enjoying the rest of the cast (mainly Jen and Pacey's storylines).
When you put it that way, Felicity was in pretty much the same boat on the show of the same name. After a while, it was all about Sean, Megan, and Javier for me.
Old 11-26-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Long before TomKat, I Hate, hate, HATE the fact that Dawson's Creek changed into Joey's Campus. I couldn't stand that character. She was basically the sole focus in later seasons so much that I'm surprised they didn't change the name of the show.

As for Jordan, well not only do I like everyone else's characters, but any episode that doesn't focus on Jordan herself, specifically that whole mess with her past...if that was the focus of the series, I'd never watch it. Macy, Bug, Nigel, Woody, Lilly - they are all fantastic characters with great stories.
Old 11-26-06, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly

I always thought that Dawson came into his own in season 4, thanks to his friendship with old man Brooks, and his falling for Gretchen. It is the only season of the show that I liked. Those two characters helped him grow up, even if only for one season, because then he was back to alternatiing between Joey and Jen for the last two years. Personally, I would have gone chasing after Gretchen rather than let her go.