Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best online retailer for a $2K HDTV ?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-24-06, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Black Friday folks!

After weeks and weeks of deliberating, I've decided on the Sharp AQUOS LC-42D62U 42" LCD HDTV. I'm picking it up for $1800 with shipping included.

I've read through Epinions, PriceGrabber, Froogle, and the seller ratings/reviews for these sites are all over the place. One out of 5 stars one day and 5 out of 5 stars the next day.

I'm trying to determine...

- What is a reliable online retailer in terms of delivering the product within the time frame offered?

- Can I trust the "low-end" shipping option, that is, the option that takes 3 weeks and they just deliver it to the street curb (I live in a condo complex)?

- Does anyone have any experience with places like Abe's of Maine, Crutchfield, etc ? Any recommendations?

I would appreciate anything you guys have to offer.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
That's a really good price on that Aquos - almost too good to be true. Be aware that there are some non-authorized resellers who sell stuff cheap, but if you should need to invoke the manufacturer's warranty, neither the seller nor the manufacturer will honor it. The chances of this happening are remote, but you might want to consider buying a REPUTABLE 3rd party extended warranty just in case.

I had excellent luck with Crutchfield when I ordered a car stereo from them and Abt Electronics,
http://www.abtelectronics.com/script....php3?id=25146
from whom I bought a big TV & stand. They are both authorized resellers of most brand name merchandise and I recommend both of them highly, although it will cost you more. Abt (pronounced like "apt") contacted me by phone and e-mail to tell me when the delivery guy would be there so I could be home to receive it and he was right on time.

I'd check the shipping weight (in your case it looks to be about 100 lbs) and see if you can handle moving it yourself, otherwise offer the guy some cash to help bring it in the house. $20 is probably about right, but it depends on the weight and awkwardness of the item and if you are able to help him. Add more if there are stairs or corners involved. Just ask yourself how much you would want someone to pay you to help move the item. Also, be aware that this is an off-the-books deal and don't expect his insurance to cover a broken lamp or a dropped TV. The driver could also say "no", in which case you might want to have a backup plan.

Some places offer "White Glove Shipping" for a little extra, where they will bring the unit in your house, unpack it and set it up, then haul away the boxes, but be sure to save any rebate UPC codes or stuff you need for the warranty.

Last edited by Quatermass; 11-24-06 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can also keep an eye on a *** and Amazon. They are both currently ~200 more OTD. CC with the 10% Coupon(if appicable) is about 200 more also but you can return it alot easier than buying from an Online only site.

OT: Anyone has any experience with TapeworksTexas for Extended Warrantys?

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 11-24-06 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Just thought I'd throw this in: I never heard of Abe's of Maine until you mentioned it, but they seem to be pretty reputable based on what I've been able to find on the internet. I'll definitely check them the next time I want to by some pricey electronics.
Old 11-26-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't know why we can't type it, but I give another vote for ***
Old 11-26-06, 07:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
don't know why we can't type it, but I give another vote for ***
It was censored because we had someone from that company spam us in an attempt to get free advertising earlier this year.

When a company acts that unethically you have to wonder whether you really want to do business with them.

And when we censor a word or company name it's really hard to imagine any post so important that a person has to make that they have to break our rules by thwarting our attempts to have that term not show up here.
Old 11-29-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quatermass
Just thought I'd throw this in: I never heard of Abe's of Maine until you mentioned it, but they seem to be pretty reputable based on what I've been able to find on the internet. I'll definitely check them the next time I want to by some pricey electronics.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Abe_s_of_Maine

I wouldn't trust them to deliver anything as promised. I've read many horror stories from photographers about them.
Old 11-29-06, 05:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ABT Electronics is good, Crutchfield is good, J&R should be fine as well. I just don't know if they all carry your hdtv. Good luck.