Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Return Policy For The Holidays

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-23-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard mixed responses for how BB is going to handle holiday returns this year. Some/all places switched over to 3 Returns per Year w/o receipt, but for something like a few DVDs....this doesn't offer much leeway. I've also heard that some stores will only give store credit if everything is sealed (which works for me)

I'd rather not go to other stores to return because I'm actually in the market for an appliance, and even if I could put $40-$50 towards it, that'd be nice.

Anyone have a definitive answer of how they are going to handle it?

-p
Old 11-23-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BestBuy around here will NOT give ANY returns without a receipt. They will politely tell you to move on unless you have the credit/debit card that was used and they can look it up that way if you have a nice CSR.
Old 11-23-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn...that sucks.

-p
Old 11-25-06, 11:06 AM

I work customer service at Best Buy here in Ocoee.

This is how we were trained. If the item is unopened and less than $50 (we still have to carry the item ofcourse,) then we can do a no-receipt return with the customer's driver license. Although it very well may per year, my managers tell us that it is 3 no-receipt returns per driver's license all together! As in a lifetime. This is what we tell customer's but I have no way of telling whether it's actually the year or lifetime. I do have several driver license numbers declined often due to too many.
Old 11-25-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I would like to know when BB changed their return policy to limit returns until after 12PM on Black Friday? I walked into the store yesterday around 9:30 AM and waited in the long Customer Service line. Got up to the desk and the girl said we can't take any returns until 12:00. I said, "Why?" She said, "That's our policy today, because it's so busy on Black Friday." I said, "I know. There are no signs saying your return policy is different and I waited in line just as long as everyone else in the Customer Service line, process my return please." She called over a manager who attempted to feed me the same line and tell me that the registers won't allow regular employees to do returns until 12:00 PM. I said, "Why wasn't I informed this when I entered by the door personnel?" He said, "I guess they weren't educated on the policy." I said, "Oh, and because of that and no signs I can't do a return? Please process my return." He then said, "Regular cashiers cannot process returns until 12:00 PM." I said, "Well, you're a manager so you should be able to process the return because I'm sure you have more rights than a regular cashier. Please process my return." He eventually broke down took me to another Customer Service register and returned my item and I thanked him.

Sheesh! If you're going to do this at the store at least put up signs or when people walk in obviously carrying bags with a receipt in hand wanting to return, let them know then.
Old 11-28-06, 01:34 PM

So.... if it's unopened and over $50, BB won't take it???? YIKES!! I hope not... I can see a $100 cut off, but $50... uuugghh!
Old 11-28-06, 03:28 PM

you might have better luck at borders, they actually have an official no receit needed policy.
Old 11-28-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amd555
you might have better luck at borders, they actually have an official no receit needed policy.
Borders has the easiest no receipt policy out there. As long as they have the DVD in their inventory, they'll give you a gift card. The Borders I went to last year(yes, my brother purchased it at Borders and threw out the receipt) didn't even ask for my driver's license. Because Borders' prices are so high, you'll practically get the full list price of the DVD. You can then use the gift card online at www.borders.com, which is Amazon. So you'll get full value for the DVD and you can then use it to get discounted DVDs at Amazon.
Old 11-28-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
Well I would like to know when BB changed their return policy to limit returns until after 12PM on Black Friday? I walked into the store yesterday around 9:30 AM and waited in the long Customer Service line. Got up to the desk and the girl said we can't take any returns until 12:00. I said, "Why?" She said, "That's our policy today, because it's so busy on Black Friday." I said, "I know. There are no signs saying your return policy is different and I waited in line just as long as everyone else in the Customer Service line, process my return please." She called over a manager who attempted to feed me the same line and tell me that the registers won't allow regular employees to do returns until 12:00 PM. I said, "Why wasn't I informed this when I entered by the door personnel?" He said, "I guess they weren't educated on the policy." I said, "Oh, and because of that and no signs I can't do a return? Please process my return." He then said, "Regular cashiers cannot process returns until 12:00 PM." I said, "Well, you're a manager so you should be able to process the return because I'm sure you have more rights than a regular cashier. Please process my return." He eventually broke down took me to another Customer Service register and returned my item and I thanked him.

Sheesh! If you're going to do this at the store at least put up signs or when people walk in obviously carrying bags with a receipt in hand wanting to return, let them know then.
i can see why they would do that, but not to post it and tell you that the door people don't know, when he being a manager should be in someway responsible to inform the door guy is silly. oh well, i saw something on the receipt about an extended holiday 30 day policy where you can return gifts until the end of january.
Old 11-29-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Borders has the easiest no receipt policy out there. As long as they have the DVD in their inventory, they'll give you a gift card. The Borders I went to last year(yes, my brother purchased it at Borders and threw out the receipt) didn't even ask for my driver's license. Because Borders' prices are so high, you'll practically get the full list price of the DVD. You can then use the gift card online at www.borders.com, which is Amazon. So you'll get full value for the DVD and you can then use it to get discounted DVDs at Amazon.
If I do it that way, I thought i'd be limited to www.borders.com stock, yes? If I could get regular amazon stuff, that'd be awesome (since around the holidays I tend to get a ton of DVDs...but they end up being dupes or stuff I have no interest in). I'm actually in the market for a wine fridge, which is why BB was ideal, but amazon.com would be great also.

If anyone knows for sure, that'd be awesome.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 11-29-06 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
The Black Friday "no return before xx:xx" was clearly posted in the Best Buy I went to... it was probably an oversight on the part of the store (though what was the line for if not for returns?)

Someone mentioned that Best Buy does not take in any returns without receipt. This is true most of the time, but most stores will make exceptions for after Xmas returns.
Old 11-29-06, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody know the place with the most lenient return policy and a list of good items that can be bought much cheaper on the web?
Old 12-01-06, 11:55 PM

Same here in NYC...

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
BestBuy around here will NOT give ANY returns without a receipt. They will politely tell you to move on unless you have the credit/debit card that was used and they can look it up that way if you have a nice CSR.
That's the same exact response I got recently from a Best Buy here in Manhattan. Maybe they will loosen up for the week after Christmas...?? Let's hope!!!!
Old 12-04-06, 01:53 PM

OK, I have a question.

A week ago I ordered the Smallville season 2 on sale for $14.99.
I received it today and noticed that one corner was slightly dented.
So I opened it up carefully to find that the plastic that holds discs 1 & 2 is broken on one corner.

If I returned it to a Best Buy store, would I be able to exchange it for the Smallville Season 2? And would I get it at that price or would I be charged the regular retail price?

I never returned anything for damage reasons, so I don't know how a Best Buy store would handle it.

If it's too much hassle, the damage is not too bad. It's something I can live with.

Thanks for any help provided.
Old 12-04-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

If you have your receipt and packing slip, then they should exchange it with no hassle. They will most likely open up the shrinkwrap on the new DVD though.
Old 12-04-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

If you have your receipt and packing slip, then they should exchange it with no hassle. They will most likely open up the shrinkwrap on the new DVD though.
Old 12-04-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DVD set question reminds me of my experience with Buffy Season 3. I bought at Best Buy because it was on sale (release of one of the other seasons, I think). The first set had a floater -- I think it was disc 3. It was scratched all to hell, too. I opened set two at the exchange desk only to get a floater on the same disc scratched WORSE. When I opened the third set and the disc wasn't seated in its place, the service rep just rung me up a refund. I was kind of pissed because it wasn't a bad price, but I caught it at a lower price online somewhere a few months later.