Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Homicide: Life on the street VS. NYPD Blue

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to buy DVD but having hard time to choose....

I know they are both great... but which show is better?? any opinion??
Please dont consider their prices....

I'm asking about replay rates & contents of the shows....
thanks...
Old 11-23-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
NYPD is good and all, but it peters out after a few seasons (and only the first 4 are on dvd anyways), but Homicide KILLS it in the following areas: writing, acting, charactes, plot, humor, drama, etc.

It kinda stumbles early in it's 7th season, but overall, it's one of the best broadcast TV shows ever. CostCo has the entire 7-season set (including the L&O cross-overs, and the movie finale) for only around $150.
Old 11-23-06, 08:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Both are wonderful shows and groundbreaking. I give the slight edge to Homicide for reasons stated above, but Dennis Franz was so good for so long in NYPD Blue that it's hard to dismiss that show.

A friend once said that Homicide was a show for the head while NYPD Blue was a show for the heart. It's a bit of a generalization, but a good distinction between the two. I know this doesn't help your decision, but those are two of the best cop shows ever, and you can't go totally wrong either way.
Old 11-23-06, 11:39 PM

thanks for your feedbacks~!!!
and decided to go with homicide and bought it~
Old 11-27-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shack
A friend once said that Homicide was a show for the head while NYPD Blue was a show for the heart.
I was going to post the exact same thing.

Another thing to consider is that the complete run of Homicide is out on DVD. NYPD Blue is only up to season 4.

Here's an essay on the subject (written by Alen Sepinwall; a television critic for the Star-Ledger).

I loved both shows. But now that several years have passed, I find myself wanting to revisit Homicide far more than NYPD. I have the whole Homicide collection, but haven't even begun to collect NYPD Blue (and don't plan to start anytime soon either).
Old 11-29-06, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the two series are apples and oranges. NYPD blue is more about the personal lives of the cops and how they cope and also how much they fuck each other.

They do some of that on homicide, but it is mostly realistic stories pulled from the headlines etc, and it is shot documentary style, which is a good fit for the series. It is about the box(the detention cell where the cops try to get the murderers to confess) and the board(the dry erase board where the detectives keep score so to speak, when a new case is added, the victims name is in red, when it is solved they erase it and turn it to black).

I like both series, but they are very different, like i said- apples and oranges.
Old 11-30-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I think Homicide is superior - the writing is better and the show is far more realistic.

However, for eye candy, there is no doubt that Blue is the chioce.
Old 12-07-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love NYPD Blue, but found Homicide to be one of the most over-rated shows ever. The crime that they're working usually takes a back seat to the constant in-fighting between the characters. I understand that not everyone gets along, but it seems that all these people ever did was fight and back-stab each other. There wasn't a single character that you could have sympathy for, as they were all raging assholes.

I'm going to try watching it again to see if time has changed my view of the show, but I have a feeling that it hasn't. Since then I tried to get into The Sopranos, and found that I hated it for the same reasons I hated Homicide.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 12-07-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Then stay away from OZ - pretty much all the characters are detestable assholes; after
all, it is a prison...

I don't have to like a character, I just have to find them interesting, and Homicide had some of the most interesting characters on TV, ever.
Old 12-07-06, 04:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think Homicide is superior - the writing is better and the show is far more realistic.

However, for eye candy, there is no doubt that Blue is the chioce.
Hey! Richard Belzer is nothing to sneeze at in the looks department!

Old 12-07-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't have to like a character, I just have to find them interesting, and Homicide had some of the most interesting characters on TV, ever.
Agreed. Homicide is probably #2 or #3 on my favorite shows of all time, but I certainly wouldn't want to hang out with any of them.
Old 12-07-06, 04:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You should also check out Hill Street Blues. There wouldnt be any 'Blue' or 'Homicide' without Hill Street.
Old 12-07-06, 07:58 PM

My choice would be Homicide.
Old 12-07-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Homicide - one of the best series ever made, with apologies for parts of the seventh season.
Old 12-07-06, 09:36 PM

I also vote for Homicide.Season 6 probably the best season off all.Besides the great acting and writing it featured a ton of guest stars.
Old 12-07-06, 11:17 PM

The Season 6 episode "Subway" is probably one of the best episodes ever shown on TV.