Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The DVD Talk Wii/PS3/360 Street Team OR "What will you show off on Turkey Day?"

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What consoles will your family members be forced to see/play with
Wii
50.00%
PS3
0%
25.00%
Some other new-to-them technology (360, PS2, internal combustion engine, stone arrowheads)
3.57%
I don't have a console to show off (or have sold my family to afford my gaming habit)
25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen this mentioned in countless places so I had to ask here.

It seems like people are very interested in showing their family their new videogame system (Wii). I've heard lots of talk about people traveling with their new next-gen system (Wii) and showing it off. My question is, is that your plan? How many people will learn about it?

I'm going to a family Thanksgiving dinner and taking the Wii. I'm mostly interested in seeing the reaction from people who don't usually play games.

Are you doing that with your Wii?
Or PS3? (Are you renting a trailer to transport it? )

Or maybe your family lives in Bora Bora or the year 2002 and has never seen an Xbox 360. Or maybe you're not doing anything at all.
Old 11-23-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Drat. Mods, make the "360" in the fourth option just an Xbox. Then delete this message as it is proof of my mistake.
Old 11-23-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family loves to get together and play competetive games together, so I had every intention of having playing Wii with them and my cousins too (some who aren't so great at games so the pick up and play nature of the games would help a lot).

Alas, I don't have a Wii yet, but I want one really bad, if I can find one somewhere! I'm hoping they got one .
Old 11-23-06, 04:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Drat. Mods, make the "360" in the fourth option just an Xbox. Then delete this message as it is proof of my mistake.

Other than myself, nobody in my family gives a rat's ass about video games so they wouldn't be impressed even if I traveled into the future and came back with a PS5.
Old 11-23-06, 12:13 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I travel with the 360, but am without an online broadband connection; so no Xbox Live. I thought about bringing the Wii, but I would have needed to buy extra controllers.

At the moment, my uncle and I are playing through the co-op campaign in Gears.
Old 11-23-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bowling tournament here. Even grandma is playing.
Old 11-23-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Family is comin' over all weekend, not just today. It's gonna be hell up in here. I've got 36 liters of soda and already thinking it's not enough.

Xbox 360:
Gears of War
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Madden '07
Fight Night Round 3

PC (LAN of 2 desktops + 2 laptops):
Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition
Fear
Half Life 2
Company of Heroes

And almost forgot...Happy Thanksgiving fellow DVDTalkers. I haven't been brave enough to do the Black Friday thing for the past 5 years, but if that's your plan be safe and have fun no matter who you're with this weekend.
Old 11-24-06, 01:20 AM

I just got back form a kickass Thanksgiving party, we had a tournament for just about every Wii Sports title (minus golf) and I think just about everyone there is going to end up getting a Wii now.
Old 11-24-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Assuming I can find one, it will be a Wii.

Later on I may get a ps3 or 360 but im still deciding which. The 360 seems like a good choice since it can form part of a htpc I want to build eventually.

I will wait until next year to see if there will be price cuts and also the 360 seems to still have reliability issues 1 year after its launch which is quite concerning. As for the PS3, its far to early to judge so ill wait until things settle down and there is less rioting in the streets to get one
Old 11-24-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Wii was a huge hit. I turned it on when I got there and it was for about 13 hours (minus one or two for the food). Tennis and bowling were big hits and everyone liked seeing their own Mii on the console (eventually I organized them by color according to family/household). We even made some famous Miis (John Kerry and Tom Cruise... will post tomorrow).

I have to say that 2-4 people are definitely getting a Wii this Christmas. Not a single person didn't like it and I didn't even mention there were other games besides Wii Sports. A few people even said the graphics were "amazing" (on a regular cable into a Pioneer plasma).

I made a smart decision to complete the set of four Wiimotes before I went. There were always another four or five people ready to play it.

My only concern with the Wii so far are the game prices. There's some games that are not worth $50. They should be $25-$40, a bit more expensive than DS games. Zelda can be $50. But Excite Truck has no reason to be $50.
Old 11-25-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No console will ever have games under $39.99. Just not gonna happen. Hell, some DS and most PSP games are at that price point already.
Old 11-25-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Had a Wii party last night. Not including me there was one non-gamer(my sister) and 5 skeptical 360 junkies, a couple of whom figured we would be playing Gears after an hour. That did not happen. Fortunately, with all the praise I'd given the system and with a bit of research of reviews online, two of my friends were opening their minds before they came, and actually bought their own Wiimote and nunchuck so we could have 4 players. Rock on!

It was a smash. First up was fiddling with the Miis. They thought it was fun and cool, but this is more of an alone time thing and there were people itching to game so the Mii Channel didn't last long.

WiiSports came next. Starting out, the skeptics all wanted to sit and play and it soon became obvious(with a little peer pressure) that the only way was to stand. Once they got that "I don't want to look like a jackass" out of their system, it was a blast. Tennis was a huge hit. We had one guy playing the net actually jumping trying to hit the ball. It was hysterical. The whole experience was great for laughs and opened everyone up to letting loose and playing the way it was meant to be played. Bowling was another fave, just because everyone could play. Everyone tried every sports game and loved them all, but since the others are two players we moved on to MonkeyBall.

Monkeyball followed. This didn't generate much interest. Almost all had played monkeyball before, but due to the nature of the minigames*, it just wasn't much fun. *when the games are good, they are great, but when they suck they really suck. Sifting through 50 games to find the good was a pain, so everyone tired of SMB quickly. We probably played more shitty games than good ones. Of the good ones everyone loved MonkeyTarget(always a pleaser) and the red light green light game. That was great for laughs. It was good for about 45 minutes just for everyone to try out a few different games, but I doubt anyone will be clamoring to play it when they come back. Instead they will be asking for...

Rayman. It was even bigger than WiiSports. We probably played this the longest. I'd played through 70% of the game already so most of the games were unlocked which helped the enjoyment factor a lot. The stamina games were the most popular. The ones where you repeatedly use the controllers as drumsticks in some form. The most popular game was the one where you hit the bunnies on the head with a hammer. Some of us had tears in our eyes from all the laughter. The runner up game was the carrot juice shooter. Another stamina challenge.

So Gears went forgotten by five skeptic 360 owners for 7 hours. Two of them are definitely getting a Wii, and a third had that look in his eye. He has a couple kids so I see a purchase in his future as well. Way to go Nintendo.

So all in all the argument about getting tired after a short while and giving up is hogwash. 7 hours nonstop and no one wanted to stop. We kept egging one guy on to go pick up Madden at the WalMart near my house even though he didn't have a wii.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-25-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-25-06, 10:22 AM

Turkey bowl man get out and play dont sit