Day Break "What if he lets her go" 11/22/06

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Day Break "What if he lets her go" 11/22/06

Writer: Steven Maeda

Director: Rob Bowman

Star: Victoria Pratt (Andrea Battle), Taye Diggs (Detective Brett Hopper), Ramon Rodriguez (Damien), Moon Bloodgood (Rita Shelton), Meta Golding (Jennifer Mathis), Adam Baldwin (Chad Shelton)

Recurring Role: Michael McGrady (Buchalter), Joe Nieves (Fencik)

Guest Star: Michael B. Silver (Baxter), Kamal Marayati (Mr. Zeitoun), Bahar Soomekh (Margo), Chane't Johnson (Neesha), Ian Anthony Dale (Detective Choi), Mitch Pileggi (Detective Spivak)

Hopper learns someone close to him may have been involved in framing him for Garza's murder. Meanwhile, some critical clues are revealed that could assist Hopper in making his nightmarish day finally end.
Old 11-22-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This show cracks me up at times, there's this not-so-subtle undercurrent of the writers having fun with the concept of this show.

I love the mornings because they invent different angles of showing off Moon Bloodgood's scrumptious cleavage.
Old 11-22-06, 10:35 PM
DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoy this show. I think its fairly clever and interesting; I hope more people start watching.

I do have a question about the final scene in tonight's episode. Who was that lying on the ground in the final scene?
Old 11-22-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks like a guy that you only see in the preview of the next episode. It's the guy who played Batmanuel in "The Tick" TV show.
Old 11-23-06, 01:31 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
meh

I find myself losing interest about halfway through
Old 11-23-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I really liked tonight's episode. After seeing how fast paced and action oriented episodes 1 and 2 were, I was happy that they slowed things down and made the episode more dialogue/plot driven. 10 more weeks to see if Hopper will finally stop waking up at 6:18am.
Old 11-23-06, 02:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I really liked tonight's episode. 10 more weeks to see if Hopper will finally stop waking up at 6:18am.
Don't count on it:

"ABC's "Day Break" took a big tumble from its premiere last week, managing only a 3.4/6"
Old 11-23-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

2 good things to look at:

1. ABC finished 2nd for the evening
2. At least it did better than "The Nine," which is clearly on life support and cannot seem to retain either Lost's and now Day Break's audience.
Old 11-24-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone interested can rent 12:01; it's coming to DVD next week.

Plot Summary for
12:01 (1993) (TV)
Barry Thomas is the average office worker. He becomes attracted to Lisa Fredericks who works in the same company. After work, Barry witnesses the murder of Lisa and goes to a bar to get drunk. Later that night, there is a storm and Barry gets a shock from a lamp's faulty power wire at exactly 12:01 am. The next morning, he realizes that everything is happening exactly as it did the previous day. The next morning the day is repeated again. It is now Barry's job--being the only person alive who is aware of this time loop--to stop the murder of Lisa, and stop the time loop or be caught in time forever.

Edit: There's also the original version of the above but you have to be region free to see it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=283926

It stars "Red" from That 70's show.

Last edited by mrhan; 11-24-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While the ratings don't look good, I'm hoping they rebound next week when people might be more inclined to watch TV. We'll see.
Old 11-24-06, 10:58 AM

Great episode this week. I especially liked the fact that they didn't use the entire hour for "1 day" and instead the 2nd day started about 35 minutes into the show.
Old 11-24-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read that this is getting less than half of the viewers. It's in big trouble.
Old 11-24-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Is a holiday week really a good gage though? I'm liking it so far and will stick with it.
Old 11-24-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the falling ratings has more to do with a "Show Me The Money" lead-in than last week's "Dancing With The Stars - Grand Finale" lead-in?

So far, it's a good show and I'm tuning in so far to watch.
Old 11-24-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the episode worked a lot better than the two hours worth did. I'll go so far as to say it's a pity they didn't choose to air this out of LOST instead of The Nine. While the latter show is starting to pick up a bit, Day Break is working much better and is doing so out of the gate (2 hour debut choice excluded). I'm looking forward to next week.
Old 11-25-06, 04:54 PM

it feels too much, too repeptitive. even though he does different things, they're showing too much of the same day.

and if they're going to do about 2 days per episode, it's going to be tiring watching him try a 20th variation.
Old 11-25-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I dig this show, but I dug The Nine too and now that's gone. There is NOTHING else on while Lost is off so I really hope they give Daybreak a chance. I can't imagine the $$ they pour into making these things only to dump 'em...
Old 11-25-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by her34
it feels too much, too repetitive. even though he does different things, they're showing too much of the same day.
They only have one day to work with, it's not like they can show part of a different day.

Actually, I've been very impressed with the amount of variation they've been able to put in the days, mostly by showing different parts of the day instead of repeating the same scenes over and over. For example, each time Hopper has contacted his partner it's been in a different scene (in the park, at home at night, on the cell phone, in the bar).

Even when a scene does repeat there's important variations on it. Like in this week's episode when Chad is talking to Rita, the first time Rita started doubting Hopper because he pulled the gun, but was supportive of him the second time.

If they're going to do about 2 days per episode, it's going to be tiring watching him try a 20th variation.
I don't know if the show is going to stick to 2 days per ep. Most likely they're going to do as many days as they feel they need. Even this episode didn't show a full two days, since according to the preview the most recent day will spill over into the next episode.
Old 11-26-06, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They only have one day to work with, it's not like they can show part of a different day.

yes it's one day. but they don't have to show him working through the whole day. that's what makes it tiring to watch. if he decides to do something different, they could just show the variation instead of cycling through everything in the day to lead up to it.