Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Amazon Prime

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently in the middle of the free trial for Amazon Prime. I plan to cancel before my month is up. If I preorder future DVD releases now will they still be shipped second day air for free or will they downgrade to the standard shipping? I assume they could also charge me for the second air on any unshipped orders after the trial ends. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-22-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you place an order while Prime is active, it will ship however you set it to. I just had an item I pre-ordered with Prime that expired two months ago ship and it came 2nd day air.
Old 11-23-06, 09:07 PM

Did they charge you any extra for the 2nd day air or was it still free?
Old 11-23-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ecwfan
Did they charge you any extra for the 2nd day air or was it still free?
As long as they are ordered before your trial ends and you do NOT change the orders in any way after your prime is over, they will ship to you at no additional charge with 2 day shipping.
Old 01-10-07, 12:24 PM

I just cancelled my Amazon Prime membership. I had it as part of a free one month trial. They had automatically renewed it at $79. So if you did a free trial and don't want to pay $79, don't forget to cancel it before you order something else.
Old 01-10-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm on the free trial, just started it in fact, and so far I am not impressed. They shipped my HD-DVDs via DHL who claims they attempted to deliver today, which is a lie because I have been home all day. Call DHL and they are basically clueless idiots.

I wrote to Amazon telling them of my dissatisfaction with DHL, but I don't expect it to make any difference. Using this joke of a shipping company is not doing them any favors.
Old 01-10-07, 11:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
I'm on the free trial, just started it in fact, and so far I am not impressed. They shipped my HD-DVDs via DHL who claims they attempted to deliver today, which is a lie because I have been home all day. Call DHL and they are basically clueless idiots.

I wrote to Amazon telling them of my dissatisfaction with DHL, but I don't expect it to make any difference. Using this joke of a shipping company is not doing them any favors.
EVERYTHING I have ordered from Amazon using Amazon Prime has arrived within 2 days. I've been very surprised.

And, no, I don't work for Amazon.

My only disappointment has been that there are lots of items on Amazon for which Amazon Prime does not apply (including books over a certain weight).
Old 01-11-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im into the paying part of Amazon prime and have had nothing but great success in getting things delivered within 2 days. Typically things come UPS, occasionally fedex ground, and just once via DHL. Count me as a pleased customer. (And no I dont work for Amazon either )
Old 01-11-07, 07:46 AM

My Amazon Prime trial membership ended on Dec. 25 as I set it to cancel ahead of time.

About two days later I reconsidered and renewed for $79 which I originally thought was excessive. But now I joined Amazon's High Definition Club which gives you an automatic 10% off of any HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc you order within the year.

Considering I would be placing a lot more orders than previously due to the hi-def discount, it seemed that Amazon Prime would be worth the $79.
Old 01-11-07, 04:16 PM

Today DHLs web site says 'returned to shipper' even though they didn't even try delivering again.

I called them and they say they are going to have a driver bring it tonight.
I'll believe that when I see it.

The UPS part of the delivery came fine, but since Amazon does not let you specify which carrier to use, using Prime means using DHL. No thanks. Hopefully if Amazon get enough complaints they will axe DHL.
Old 01-17-07, 06:27 PM

I've been Prime for a while now. I've never had an order via DHL, everything has always been UPS, and often arrives next day.
Old 01-19-07, 03:04 PM

I tried the free Prime trial, and eveything I ordered came via UPS or FedEx. I was pleased with them, and am still considering joining for the $79/year.

But, I would not be happy if they start using DHL for a large amount of their orders. Maybe the occasional one, but DHL does stink.
Old 01-22-07, 03:11 PM

If you sign up for Amazon prime, you get a $50 Grocery Gift Certificate:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/subs/primec...cery-main.html

Jamie
Old 04-04-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to finally pay the $79 for the Amazon Prime shipping. Usually, 2-day shipping is free and overnight is $3.99. But I noticed today that overnight shipping is showing up as $1.99. Is this happening for anyone else?
Old 04-04-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Prime is awesome--as long as they don't send it DHL. I can't believe how bad these people are

I order at least 3 times a week from amazon with my prime membership and i always get it the next day if they use fedex or UPS which has been for every order except for 3 for the past 4 months. Out of the 3 times I was unfortunate enough to have it shipped DHL, only once did it arrive within 2 days. The other 2 they kept saying they attempted delivery (which they hadn't). Just today I saw the DHL guy drive right past my house and I thought he must be on a different route. Then I check my tracking number online 5 minutes later and it says they attempted delivery 5 minutes ago????? So I called the number and they transferred me to local dispatch who said I wasnt home, which I was. So then he says he couldn't find the house and he will have the driver call me and come back. 3 hours later the driver finally calls and says he is at my gate. I walk out to the gate because he says the code I gave him is wrong. Nobody is there. He says he is at the right gate and he's going to have to retry again tomorrrow since I am giving him the wrong code--all while I am standing at the gate, and unless he is fucking invisible, there is no one in sight. He then hangs up the phone.

I leave for work an hour later ( around 5pm) and get home about 10pm and the package is on my doorstep.... friggin moron was obviously at the wrong gate.

I e-mailed amazon my incident so hopefully they get enough people bitching about DHL that they drop these retards
Old 04-05-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
Prime is awesome--as long as they don't send it DHL. I can't believe how bad these people are

I order at least 3 times a week from amazon with my prime membership and i always get it the next day if they use fedex or UPS which has been for every order except for 3 for the past 4 months. Out of the 3 times I was unfortunate enough to have it shipped DHL, only once did it arrive within 2 days. The other 2 they kept saying they attempted delivery (which they hadn't). Just today I saw the DHL guy drive right past my house and I thought he must be on a different route. Then I check my tracking number online 5 minutes later and it says they attempted delivery 5 minutes ago????? So I called the number and they transferred me to local dispatch who said I wasnt home, which I was. So then he says he couldn't find the house and he will have the driver call me and come back. 3 hours later the driver finally calls and says he is at my gate. I walk out to the gate because he says the code I gave him is wrong. Nobody is there. He says he is at the right gate and he's going to have to retry again tomorrrow since I am giving him the wrong code--all while I am standing at the gate, and unless he is fucking invisible, there is no one in sight. He then hangs up the phone.

I leave for work an hour later ( around 5pm) and get home about 10pm and the package is on my doorstep.... friggin moron was obviously at the wrong gate.

I e-mailed amazon my incident so hopefully they get enough people bitching about DHL that they drop these retards
I had basically the same problems with DHL - emailed Amazon also about the problem. Luckly most of my Prime shipments come UPS.
Old 04-05-07, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I decided to finally pay the $79 for the Amazon Prime shipping. Usually, 2-day shipping is free and overnight is $3.99. But I noticed today that overnight shipping is showing up as $1.99. Is this happening for anyone else?
I think this is a special every week. So that if you order by the cut-off time on Thursday you still get it before the weekend.