Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

UPS Sucks

Old 11-21-06, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS Sucks

I ordered a dvd from dvdplanet.com and chose 2 day shipping so it would get here tomorrow. It shipped Monday night, so it should get here tomorrow. My delivery e-mail from dvdplanet even said it should come on 11/22.

So I check the status of it on UPS.com and it says the scheduled delivery is 11/24... why?? I paid more for 2nd day shipping so it would come at the speed of postal service priority mail?
Old 11-21-06, 05:28 PM

Shipped doesn't always mean it's shipped. The UPS label was probably generated Monday night, and the package was actuall picked up on Tuesday 11/21. Since 11/23 is a holiday, the package won't arrive until 11/24.
Old 11-21-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fourizonly
Shipped doesn't always mean it's shipped. The UPS label was probably generated Monday night, and the package was actuall picked up on Tuesday 11/21. Since 11/23 is a holiday, the package won't arrive until 11/24.
Yep I recently had an e-tailer send me an order via UPS and claimed it was shipped at 5 o'clock on a Sunday morning. Clearly that wasn't true.
Old 11-22-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fourizonly
11/23 is a holiday, but 11/24 is also a UPS holiday (no ground deliveries). And 11/25 and 11/26 is the weekend, so no deliveries.

If it was sent "2nd day air" it will be there on Friday. If it was sent by ground, it won't be until Monday.

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/holiday/calendar

THANKSGIVING

Wednesday Nov 22 All services are available.

Thursday Nov 23 Only *UPS SonicAir® is available.
Call 1-800-451-4550.

Friday Nov 24 Delivery available only for Air and International shipments. Pickup of Air and International shipments available if arranged by Nov. 22. *UPS SonicAir is also available. Call 1-800-451-4550.

Saturday Nov 25 All normal Saturday services are available with regular pickup and delivery commit times.

Sunday Nov 26 Only *UPS SonicAir is available. Call 1-800-451-4550.

Monday Nov 27 All services are available.

Last edited by Heat; 11-22-06 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-25-06, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Yep I recently had an e-tailer send me an order via UPS and claimed it was shipped at 5 o'clock on a Sunday morning. Clearly that wasn't true.
Always look for an origin scan when you track your package at UPS website. The origin lets you know that UPS has the package!
Old 11-25-06, 05:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You gotta go with the Post Office this time of year. Saturday delivery, and even Sunday package delivery in December in my area.
Old 11-26-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Post Office sucks. I've always had faster service (both in getting packages and mailing them out) with UPS over the post office. The post office just plain sucks in so many ways. Maybe it's a region to region thing, but where I live that's just the way it is.
Old 11-26-06, 10:44 AM

I've been unhappy with UPS. I live in the city, so when I'm not home, they can't deliver. In order for me to get my packages, I have to drive 15 miles to their distribution center in a 1 hour time window (usually 7:30-8:30 PM) and wait 30+ minutes with other folks from the city to get my package.

I'm seriously considering telling friends and relatives to ship USPS if at all possible for the holidays.
Old 11-26-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

UPS is good if you have a doorman in your building, otherwise USPS is nice

i never understood why UPS doesn't have a special pick up service where you come in, show ID and walk out with your package
Old 11-26-06, 01:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree the post office is all over the place in terms of service depending on where you live, but in getting the package, they are easier for me. I have 1 UPS center a half hour away from me that serves 50 towns, so it is always packed. The post office is in town, it is open late now, so I have no problems getting my stuff if they can't leave it.
Old 11-26-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
UPS is good if you have a doorman in your building, otherwise USPS is nice

i never understood why UPS doesn't have a special pick up service where you come in, show ID and walk out with your package
Well, we have that here at the main UPS center in Portland. Problem is, it takes them 30mins to find your package, even if you called the UPS number to have them leave it at the center for the next day. So what I do now is just walk in without any calling. It's the same period of wait time.
Old 11-26-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you tried talking to the driver. Ask if you can sign a note to leave packages when the shipper is not requiring a hard signature in person.

DVD Polizei - If you put the number above the barcode on the info-notice into the website like a tracking number. It will give you options for refusing, holding for pickup, holding for futuure delivery and alternate address among others. Just has fast has tracking a package and no human interaction (faster and no mistakes)

Also, UPS does offer a permanent hold for pickup service. You puy your name, your phoen number and ups center address on the package. A UPS clerk is to call you when package arrives. I would never use this method. I prefer that people just put a permamentr hold for pickup in for their address.

I have worked 19 years for UPS. Some of our work rules and company policies are asinine but sometimes there are simple explanations. So ask away.
Old 11-26-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've never had problems with USPS this time of year
Old 11-27-06, 09:59 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most UPS drivers make a finale stop each day in your city before they go back to their main distribution center. Like for me they stop at one of those Pack and Ship places. I would always miss him during the day, because no one was home. When I did, I asked how can I avoid having to go to the distribution center, because its so far away. Told me every day at 4 he is at the Pack and Ship. I could meet him there, show ID and he would be happy to give me my package. It does pay to ask and be nice.
Old 11-27-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Have UPS deliver it to your place of business.
Old 11-27-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had UPS deliver my DDD order to the wrong address. It also had a tracking number. Luckily the neighbor down the street brought it over to me the very next day.

Now what would've happened if the neighbor hadn't done this and I had to file a missing package claim? The address label was clearly marked with my address and tracking info shows it was left on my front porch.

Old 11-27-06, 02:04 PM

From what I read above it's quite a sloppy service you guys in America have. Here in 3rd World South Africa
UPS is actually faster.
Old 11-27-06, 05:37 PM

UPS is hands down the best overall delivery company in the USA. They deliver 12 million packages a day and during Christmas will deliver somewhere around 18 to 20 million a day. That is a lot more than all 3 Fedex complanies (Ground,Express,Home) combined! Sure, there are mistakes here and there but the people that work there are Human, not robots!

Also, USPS keeps it's rates low on small parcel to compete with UPS and Fedex. USPS actually loses money on small parcel but makes up for it with higher and higher stamp rates where there is no comp! Think about how much stamps have gone up in the last 10 years!

Last edited by JohnDoeUSA; 11-27-06 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ups sucks by me..they consistently deliver all my stuff late or in really bad shape..
they are famous for the "rescheduled delivery".
Old 11-30-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDoeUSA
UPS is hands down the best overall delivery company in the USA. They deliver 12 million packages a day and during Christmas will deliver somewhere around 18 to 20 million a day. That is a lot more than all 3 Fedex complanies (Ground,Express,Home) combined! Sure, there are mistakes here and there but the people that work there are Human, not robots!
You're confusing quantity with quality. UPS is fine, but I always seem to have trouble during the holiday season with them that I don't see from either Fed-Ex or USPS (new/different drivers for various locations, perhaps?). Already this year, I've had trouble with delivery of two seperate UPS packages. One I had to drive to their hub to pick up because they "couldn't find my address" (despite the fact that every other package from UPS finds its way to my place during the year) and another I had to get sent to my work address because they absolutely refused to leave it without a signature from me personally (which, by the way, they never made me do when it finally arrived at my work location!).