Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody watching the Megan Mullally Show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 06:10 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Now that I've given up on Rachel Ray I freed up a slot on my DVR so I've been checking out the Megan Mullally show and found it to be surpisingly good!

I guess I underestimated Megan because I didn't realize how naturally good she comes off as an interviewer. She comes off being genuinely interested in each guest, and doesn't cut them off or make them feel awkward.

She also seems to have worked with EVERYBODY at one time or another. I didn't realize how many small bit parts she has had in movies and shows or on Broadway. I only know her from W&G. It's also fun to gauge how well she knows people by how close she gets with them on the couch. With some of them she is practically sitting on their laps! The only awkward moment I have noticed was with Tom Arnold and that seems totally understandable.

Since she doesnt have a skill like cooking or doing a monologue or providing second-rate psychotherapy her show is purely guest-oriented. Every now and then she seems to mix things up with a pre-taped bit or jokey sketch but somehow everything seems fresh and fun.

She seems to get a lot of celebs you don't normally find making the promotional rounds too probably because they are B or C list but its kind of fun to out what Rupert from Survivor's been up to or see Melora Hardin from The Office.

Sadly I don't think the ratings have been good enough to make it another season but there's still time. If you're looking for a talk show that is entertaining in a low key way, slightly saucy and flirty and not at all head-ache inducing and screechy like some others, give her a try people!
Old 11-20-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a trainwreck. I taped the first few weeks of episodes to see how they were, and they were brutal. Maybe she's gotten better, but I didn't hold much promise for it.

Does she still wear basically the same thing every show?
Old 11-20-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeans and a black blazer ?
Old 11-20-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's fluff, but she's a likable personality.
Old 11-20-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
If she starts hosting topless, i'm there.

Or, heck, even in a wet t-shirt...

Otherwise, no.
Old 11-21-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I'm a huge Megan fan and I've watched the show when it was at 4p here in LA. Now it's at Noon and I'm busy at that time.
Old 11-21-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I've seen it at the health club at lunchtimes. It's horrible.
Old 12-02-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm a huge Megan fan and I've watched the show when it was at 4p here in LA. Now it's at Noon and I'm busy at that time.
Giantrobo

They have moved the show back to the afternoon, its on at 3pm now and bumped ellen degeneres to 4pm

weird shuffle...like they are trying to 'trick' ellen viewers into watching it....another sign the show won't be around much longer...

I havent been to a taping (I'm not THAT big of a fan) but I have to say, her audience always sounds like they are having a hell of a great time. I wonder if they give out free beer...
Old 01-04-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you that still watch this show, it's been cancelled. Reruns will air until something is announced to replace it.
Old 01-04-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Reruns will air until something is announced to replace it.

Probably Will and Grace reruns will replace it.
Old 01-04-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's too bad. I had high hopes that the topless idea may come to pass.
Old 01-04-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i really, really love megan mullally in will & grace karen was my favorite character in the show and her and Jack (Sean Hayes) had great Chemistry together.
i wanted to like this show when i first heard of it and then i tuned in to the first couple of episodes and it was awful.
it had nothing of intrest she pretty much just talked to guests and didn't do intresting stuff like ellen does.
i feel sorry for megan cause she really wanted to do a talk show but she really didn't know how to do it.
i hope megan will continue to act in sitcoms again and maybe one day get her own.
sitcom actors usually only get one main show and the rest is just guest appearences on other sitcoms.
i personally don't care for daytime shows, ellen is the only one i will tune into for background nosie and she is occasionally funny.
i prefer late night with conan O'Brien at night or even leno or craig.
i wish megan the best of luck for the rest of her acting career but her talk show time is up!
i hope she can recover some actors don't feel like acting or are really hurt when their show gets cancelled.
i know it must have been really hard for her to hear because this was something she really wanted to do professionally and personally.

Last edited by nateman241; 01-04-07 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movieking
For those of you that still watch this show, it's been cancelled. Reruns will air until something is announced to replace it.
Too bad. But then again Megan needs to get back to acting. Screw Daytime TV.
Old 01-05-07, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that MM has a very likable personality, but this definitely wasn't the vehicle for her. The show itself was a real trainwreck, as I mentioned above. I wanted to like it, but it just didn't click for me.
Old 01-05-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the show. I only caught one episode of it, however. She was interviewing a latino actor who is in CSI. I forgot his name, though.

Anyway, when she leads the show off with the opening statements/comedy routine, she is VERY likeable. Her interviewing skills I'm rather indifferent about.

Her and the talk show vehicle doesn't seem like a natural fit, and I'd like to see her do a sitcom again, but if her show had a bigger budget I could see this being a VERY good show.

But I guess it's a moot point now.

Anybody ever watch Last Resort, with Charles Grodin? She's in that movie, looking much thinner and in a bikini half the time. She's also about 15 years younger.
Old 01-05-07, 04:36 PM

My husband and I watch hoping for cleavage!!!!
Old 01-05-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so happy this is canceled, I'd much rather watch Saved by the Bell in the mornings.
Old 01-05-07, 08:21 PM

Rumor is she will be moving to Wisteria Lane....
Old 01-06-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bluesix
Rumor is she will be moving to Wisteria Lane....
get out...

serious?
Old 01-06-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit

Anyway, when she leads the show off with the opening statements/comedy routine, she is VERY likeable. Her interviewing skills I'm rather indifferent about.
That's just it. She was great when she sang or did a bit but her interviews seemed a bit stiff. But I don't think she's like that. It seemed like someone told her to "tone down" or to be mellow.

Anybody ever watch Last Resort, with Charles Grodin? She's in that movie, looking much thinner and in a bikini half the time. She's also about 15 years younger.

Yeah she also in one of those 80's "Brat pack" flicks.
Old 01-06-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I'm so happy this is canceled, I'd much rather watch Saved by the Bell in the mornings.
That's what I normally have on in the mornings before work. I was disappointed to turn it on and see she had replace Kelly Kapowski.

I can't stand the show. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Old 01-06-07, 11:41 AM

i think its pretty bad, when its time to interview it feels odd and uncomfortable.
Old 01-07-07, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by jackson2006
My husband and I watch hoping for cleavage!!!!
In half your posts, you mention your husband. The other half you take care to remind us that you're a single female.

Schizophrenic much?