Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new post launch thread. Less ebay talk would be cool
Old 11-19-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What's everyones thought on Resistance from those who've played it? Is it a system seller?
Old 11-19-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering why most stores that have it displayed are running it on composite or coax cables.

= J
Old 11-19-06, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I'm wondering why most stores that have it displayed are running it on composite or coax cables.

= J
Even more than that, why are they showing NBA 2007 as a demo game???? That game is horrible (based only off of playing it for 5 min at a Best Buy). I bought the NBA 2k7 game and it is 100x better. Even the reviews say NBA 2007 is a horrible game on PS3.

I have mine hooked up with component cables (have an older HDTV w/o HDMI) and optical audio and it's pretty sweet. Hooking it up to my wireless internet took only 1-2 minutes. Very easy. Haven't had any problems except for Call of Duty 3 having no sound the first time I tried it, but the next time I tried there was an update available that fixed the issue. I think that Call of Duty 3 and NBA 2k7 look the best based on the ones I've played so far. The free throw shooting in NBA 2k7 using the sixaxis is pretty difficult so far. I'm only about a 40% shooter from the line (that's horrible), but it is pretty fun.

I'll also disclose that I don't have an XBox 360 nor have I played on one before, so yes, I'm sure there's bias.
Old 11-19-06, 03:49 PM

I have been having so much fun with Resistance. I havent been able to put it down!

But its no system seller!
Old 11-19-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about the network? We heard so much initially about how the network was going to be a focal point and then towards the launch we heard there was pretty much no real plan for the network. So, how did it turn out? How would you compare it to Live?
Old 11-19-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Few issues I've run into so far:

I got an error code 3 times when I tried to load Resistance earlier today.

I can't get the thing to recognize pictures on my thumb drive for some reason. Do I need to put jpgs into a specific folder for it to recognize them?

Web browser crashed on me the first time I tried to do anything on it.

Other annoyances:

No guide while in-game.

No background downloading.

I really just don't like the interface.
Old 11-19-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man, this thread is really moving.

do more than 10 actual gamers even own this yet?
Old 11-19-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
man, this thread is really moving.

do more than 10 actual gamers even own this yet?
Why would anyone want to spend time posting when they could be playing the PS3?

I've been having a blast with Ridge Racer -- Resistance is fun too but I'm not a big fan of FPS. I only got it because my brother loves those types of game. Going to pick up NFS Carbon tomorrow and see how that plays. Overall I've been impressed - love how the system looks and I like how the menu is kinda like the PSP's menu. So, far it hasn't caught fire or overheated and blown up.

Back to playing.......
Old 11-20-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I posted before that the system I hooked my friend up with wouldn't play games.

He can get on the network and d/l demos and play those, but it wouldn't play any discs put into the drive. Game or otherwise. He had HDMI hooked up originally.

He then tried composite and component as well. One of them(forgot which) ended up working and the drive magically started reading discs. He played Tiger Woods for a half hour, hopped back into the dash, popped Resistance in and it wouldn't play. Popped Tiger back in and it wouldn't play either, now. Back to square one. Nothing works but the dash stuff.

Sony is shipping him a box to have it fixed. Pitiful.
Old 11-20-06, 07:20 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Maybe your friend accidentally dropped his console and damaged it? If not, Im sure its a one of a kind problem that wont happen to very many people at all. With a console this expensive and important you have to know that Sony will do all they can to avoid screw ups and problems.
Old 11-20-06, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Setzer
Why would anyone want to spend time posting when they could be playing the PS3?
Nice excuse. I guess by that logic, the Wii thread should be very slow too, but it is not. It is very active.
Old 11-20-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 11-20-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Nice excuse. I guess by that logic, the Wii thread should be very slow too, but it is not. It is very active.
That's because everyone is eager to share their new experience. And view others.
Old 11-20-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No wonder this thread is dead. The guy in the pic above has all of the PS3's that were sent to North America.
Old 11-20-06, 08:32 AM

what the hell did you hijack the UPS guy?
Old 11-20-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have had a couple people email me regarding the PS3 I magically managed to pick up. FYI: I sold it to a guy in my building at cost so I no longer have it. Please stop emailing me, thanks.
Old 11-20-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
That is at least 200 PS3s, nice 3/4 million profit for him, may he rot in hell.
Old 11-20-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cusm
That is at least 200 PS3s, nice 3/4 million profit for him, may he rot in hell.
that looks like a picture of a store inventory room. my guess is that it's an electronics store since those look like laptop boxes. i wouldn't be surprised if that is either a sony store or the circuit city in NYC on union square that got 175 PS3's on launch
Old 11-20-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope they sold all of them a few days ago or they may lose money on them if they paid people to get them on their behalf
Old 11-20-06, 10:15 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Maybe your friend accidentally dropped his console and damaged it? If not, Im sure its a one of a kind problem that wont happen to very many people at all. With a console this expensive and important you have to know that Sony will do all they can to avoid screw ups and problems.

The demo unit in the local gamestop here broke in less than a day...
Old 11-20-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Nobody's posting here because almost nobody has one. I tried a couple of places with preorders but it hasn't worked out yet. I was very excited about this machine and still am to a large extent, but I'm seriously concsidering trading in my Xbox for credit (I have until next summer with the extended replacement plan) and getting a 360 instead. I still would like a PS3 but feel maybe I'd be better served waiting a year or two until the kinks are worked out.

Played the Motostorm demo yesteday. While the detail was great, the framerate was choppy to the point of being a slideshow when a lot of cars are together. Also the motion controll was pretty cool, but less responsive than the stick and much harder to use.

Bottom line : I'm beginning to think I can wait on this...
Old 11-20-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
Played the Motostorm demo yesteday. While the detail was great, the framerate was choppy to the point of being a slideshow when a lot of cars are together. Also the motion controll was pretty cool, but less responsive than the stick and much harder to use.
I saw this running at a Best Buy and the framerate seemed pretty good. I didn't play it, just saw it over someone's shoulder. If this game gets good reviews, I'll be picking up my PS3 at that time.
Old 11-20-06, 11:35 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by al_bundy
that looks like a picture of a store inventory room. my guess is that it's an electronics store since those look like laptop boxes. i wouldn't be surprised if that is either a sony store or the circuit city in NYC on union square that got 175 PS3's on launch
I looked up the guys auctions--hes a retailer in Japan.
Old 11-20-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still trying to find one like crazy, but it's just not happening. It's not that my excitement is fading, but just the realism that I probably won't be able to stumble into one until spring. Has anybody tried out how Blue-Ray is working on the PS3? That's probably more important to me than any of the launch games. GoW and Smackdown Vs. Raw on 360 probably won't be out of the rotation any time soon regardless of if I find a PS3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.