Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 11/18/06 - (H) Chris Bridges (M) Ludacris

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 08:16 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
SNL 11/18/06 - (H) Chris Bridges (M) Ludacris

... this has bad written all over it.

It's gonna be hard to top AB from last week.

Here's to hopin'!

<hr>

Season 32 so far...
09/30/06 - (H) Dane Cook (M) The Killers
10/07/06 - (H) Jaime Pressly (M) Corinne Bailey Rae
10/21/06 - (H) John C. Reilly (M) My Chemical Romance
10/28/06 - (H) Hugh Laurie (M) Beck
11/04/06 - The Best of Darrell Hammond
11/11/06 - (H) Alec Baldwin (M) Christina Aguilera
11/18/06 - (H) Chris Bridges (M) Ludacris
12/02/06 - (H) Matthew Fox (M) Tenacious D
12/09/06 - (H) Annette Benning (M) Gwen Stefani
12/16/06 - (H) Justin Timberlake (M) Justin Timberlake

* I'll update this post with the 'grade grid' later today.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 11-28-06 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-18-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just gonna ask who the hell is Chris Bridges,nevermind
Old 11-18-06, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I was just gonna ask who the hell is Chris Bridges,nevermind
I figured that would catch a couple of people off gaurd.
Old 11-18-06, 02:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'm guessing there will be a Bill O'Reilly skit in there somewhere.
That'll be Hammonds one skit for the week.

Jeff Richards did a pretty good O'Reilly, too bad he sucked at everything else.
Old 11-18-06, 02:41 PM

Rumors put Gwen Stefani doing the music on 12/9 (last seen on 3/19/05) and Justin Timberlake pulling double duty on 12/16 (last seen 10/11/03).

Some rumors are pointing to Matthew Fox getting bumped to 12/9, so that the "Lonley Island Guys" (SNL writers) can have one of their friends Kal Penn (Van Wilder, Harold and Kumar) host on 12/2 with the opening of his movie VW2.
Old 11-18-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what happened to Sacha Baron Cohen? I thought he was hosting on 12/2?
Old 11-18-06, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
Guess we'll find out tonight.
Old 11-18-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
He pronounced it "Lew-DAY-kris"!!!

That was the funniest thing in the whole show, and I haven't even seen the rest of the show yet!
Old 11-18-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
Its Matthew Fox now. Probably to promote his football movie.
Old 11-18-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
yea, when is SBC on now?
Old 11-18-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That Bill O'Reilly skit was awful, just dragged on and on. So far, SNL has gone back to its norm after having a great night with Alec Baldwin last week.
Old 11-18-06, 11:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts
I turned it off after the pool skit.

How the hell can you have the O'Reilly skit and not have Ludacris on there as himself?
Old 11-19-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ludacris was a far better host than I thought he would be. He gets a B+ for himself and the whole show gets a C+. The old fart announcer again screws up the easiest job in the world. He pronounced Ludacris as Lood-AY-cris. Take ten fucking seconds and find out how to say a name.

President Bush
Jeez, Sudeikis does an even worse Bush than Forte. Bush goes to Vietnam, starts a war. Same old opening. C-

Monologue
Pretty funny as Ludacris describes when he’s Ludacris and when he’s Chris. Thompson was great as Rickdiculous, an old childhood buddy. B+

Hypin’ the Classics
Luda adding rap to songs with the original artists. Funniest of the night. A

Bitchslap Method informercial
Dr. Bitchslap teaches how to control your spouse. Not bad. B

O’Reilly Factor
Deadly. Hammond threatens boycotts, but doesn’t understand what it means. I think the audience boycotted this sketch. Not a single laugh. D

Booty Bidness
Luda as spokesman for women wearing sexy club shirts during the day. Better than the usual ad parodies. B

Blizzard Man
Such a thin premise of the white guy with no rap skills that only Luda thinks is talented, but Samberg was great. “You’ll totally get shot with a gun!” Of course being SNL, this had no ending except for the other characters saying, “Hey, he IS talented!” and that’s it. B

Weekend Update
Way too much mugging for AP and SM this week. Hader was suitably creepy as John Mark Karr. Bobby Knight yells at Myers, obscure reference that no one got. C+

Poolwatch
New CW show with Luda as lifeguard taking off all his bling before jumping in the pool. Short and painless. B-

Hair transplant
This week’s WTF sketch. Luda puts his own hair on Forte and takes his so he can look like Elton John. Are you kidding me? F

Lesbian cruise
Luda taking a captain’s job on a lesbian cruise ship in the hopes of watching and getting involved in some hot lesbian action. Another one short and painless. B-

Diner
Two old men complaining about how it used to be. I was expecting Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz to show up, since they did this 15 years ago. Now I sound like one of them! B-
Old 11-19-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cold Open: Special Address from the President
Sudeikis is Bush now? Well, this should be really funny then, right? Especially after the positive progress they made with last week's open, right? Right?

Monologue
Loo-DAY-cris, Pardo? Did I miss something? He opens with a basic name joke, and then Rick "Rickdiculous" Barnes (Keenan) shows up. Keenan sells it with a crazy outfit and over-the-top emoting. Weak close, though.

Young Douglas: Hypin' the Classics
Hype Men are ripe for mockery, and Ludacris does a pretty good job here. Buried in the sketch is a fantastic Harry Connick, Jr. impression from Sudeikis.

Infomercial: Dr. Archibald Bitchslap
Samantha Hawkins (Rudolph) present Dr. Bitchslap's (Ludacris) proven marriage-saving technique: Bitchslap Your Way to a Happier Marriage. Funny concept, and Ludacris is pretty natural in the role, but it goes nowhere with only a mild chuckle here and there.

The O'Reilly Factor
Parodying O'Reilly's crusade against Ludacris when he hooked up with Pepsi, O'Reilly (Hammond) has the VP of DefJam Records (Keenan) on his show. First the joke is that O'Reilly doesn't get DefJam's hip-hop image, and then it becomes a strange bit about unspecified boycotts. Lots of dead time, and the whole thing falls pretty flat. Ludacris himself is on as a lawyer correcting a bunch of things O'Reilly gets wrong. Again, it goes nowhere. I like Hammond's O'Reilly, even though Richards was better, but there has to be more to these things than just O'Reilly getting facts wrong.

Commercial: Booty Bidness Workwear
Not bad. Ludacris markets his new line of business attire that has attention whore phrases written on it.

The Blizzard Man
Samberg is "The Blizzard Man" who shows up to help Ludacris lay down some tracks in the studio. He's dressed like Vanilla Ice, and it's the whitest "rap" of all time, but Ludacris loves his style. Nothing funny here but Keenan's wtf reactions. In fact, every crappy sketch should have Keenan acting incredulous in it somewhere.

Ludacris: Money Maker
He's introduced by Wiig, Rudolph, and Poehler in outrageous giant turkey costumes. *yawn*

Weekend Update
One decent joke: Trent Lott is disappointed that the Minority Whip doesn't get to actually whip minorities. Hader is John Mark Karr, an uptight Southerner who claims responsibility for a bunch of celebrity crimes. *yawn* Rudolph is Anoosa Rosenfeld, editor of "Sixteen and 1/2 Magazine". Well, at least she has nice boobs.

Pool Watch
at the CW lineup of shows: "Oh No You Didn't!", "Don't Go There!" and "That's What She Said!" It's just a repurposed UPN joke, but still funny. Baywatch parody set at a community pool in Atlanta. Ludacris is a terrible life guard. Keenan says, "Hale No!" *yawn*

Hair Transplant
Ludacris is a ghetto plastic surgeon who is obsessed with Elton John's hair. See, the crux of this sketch is the dichotomy between zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lesbian Cruise
Poehler is a manish cruise director for Olivia Cruiselines. Ludacris is the ship's overly enthusiastic captain who likes the idea of watching a bunch of lesbians get it on and is willing to offer his man services to anyone in need. Ugh.

Ludacris: Runaway Love w/ Mary J. Blige
Keenan this time. When they first piped through Blige's vocals, I didn't expect her to show up in person, but it was pretty cool that she did. Much better than the "Money Maker" performance.

Old Dudes in a Diner
Hammond and Ludacris are old dudes lamenting progress, like the cancellation of Barney Miller, invention of cell phones, the Internet, etc. The only laughs come from Hammond's fake moustache falling off. In my day, they did sketches like this with Dana Carvey. They were short and sweet, and that's the way it was, and we liked it!

I like Ludacris a lot. He's talented and charismatic, and those traits came through in this episode as he was more than up to the task of hosting and seemed very natural in the sketches. Unfortunately, the material was pretty terrible, a let-down game if you will after last week's upset. C-

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-19-06 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-19-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
See, the crux of this sketch is the dichotomy between zzzzzzzzzzzzz
That pretty much applies to every sketch in tonight's show.
Old 11-19-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Ok, tonight's show is actually pretty funny.

2 decent shows in a row!! SNL is BACK BITCHES!!!
Old 11-19-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ok, tonight's show is actually pretty funny. :
yeah I thought the same thing.. Ludacris did a pretty good job as a host, at least he seemed like he wanted to be there and he rolled well with any small flumbs he might of made.

Hypin' the Classics, Dr Achibald Bitchslap etc, all pretty good.. not great but at least they held my interest.

plus I think the smaller cast line up is really working out well for SNL. I thought I was going to miss some of the older cast members but that has not happened. Kristen Wiig for example has really played some good -straight man roles- for jokes to bounce off these last few eps.
Old 11-19-06, 09:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
what was the deal with the female cast members dressing in bird outfits to announce Ludacris before the musical segments? Was there a bird flu sketch that got cut? twice?
Old 11-19-06, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Weekend Update
One decent joke: Trent Lott is disappointed that the Minority Whip doesn't get to actually whip minorities.
I heard the same joke on Bill Maher the night before.
Old 11-19-06, 09:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Not as bad as I thought it would be...
Old 11-19-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ashirg
I heard the same joke on Bill Maher the night before.
And on the Daily show the night before that. Not the whole joke, per se, but a clear reference to the irony of that title.
Old 11-19-06, 12:51 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn no PS3 or Wii skits they missed the boat.
Old 11-19-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Not as bad as I thought it would be...
It was exactly what I thought it would be...

The only thing I found funny (from what I saw - they lost me during the "hair transplant" skit), was Keenan.

That's it.
Old 11-19-06, 01:49 PM

Cold Open: Special Address from the President
I tuned in about 1 minute too late and thought to myself, "Did they fire Forte?"

Monologue
Side Note: Don Pardo needs to be replaced.

I really liked the monologue pre-FAN, when he was letting us know the different times he goes by different names: "If a cop pulls me over, my name is Chris Bridges. If it's a black cop, it's Ludacris!"

Young Douglas: Hypin' the Classics
I really liked this sketch... especially the line with Dolly Parton, "looks like J-Lo's booty moved up front, built a house, and painted it white!"

Infomercial: Dr. Archibald Bitchslap
Too long for me... although I did chuckle at Maya's back talk at the end, that caught Luda off guard!

The O'Reilly Factor
Not liking the Factor. I think we should "boycott" it.

Commercial: Booty Bidness Workwear
If the outfits were better, I think it would have been more believable, but Luda delivered.

The Blizzard Man
Great sketch! I was scared that they were gonna bring Jon Bovi back, but was relieved when "The Blizzard" walked in. Loved Luda's reactions to his flow, while all the others were in a state of WTF.

Ludacris: Money Maker
I like the radio version better.

Weekend Update
Hader was creepy as JMK. Maya eating her lip balm was gross. For the most part, Meyer's is not funny.

Pool Watch
I liked it, but was hoping for either Wiig or Poehler in a swimsuit.

Hair Transplant
I missed this one (fell asleep), so I guess I didn't miss much... and I guess that Forte wasn't fired.

Lesbian Cruise
Woke up before this one started... wish I had stayed asleep.

Ludacris: Runaway Love w/ Mary J. Blige
Better than the first performance, and props to Miss Blige for showing up.

Old Dudes in a Diner
"Why can't they put my no-pee pills and stiffy pills into one pill!"

I noticed Hammond's (wait, he was in a second sketch?) mustache falling off and loved how Luda countered it. I really thought that Hammond was going to break character, but instead he waived it off while Luda sat their and gummed his lower lip like an old codger! Perfect ending to a good show!

I thought that Ludacris did a great job as host. Some sketches he was noticably reading the cue cards, but in other's he just flowed. Most of the sketches were weak, but Luda did a great job. I give this week's episode a B.

I'm a little scared for Matthew Fox in the next few weeks. I've never seen him try to be remotely funny.
Old 11-19-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'm a little scared for Matthew Fox in the next few weeks. I've never seen him try to be remotely funny.
Maybe he'll be a freaking natural like Alec Baldwin or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.