Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm getting an XBox 360, game recommendations?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting in line for 2-3 days for a PS3 is a huge joke, so I'm gonna wait until I can just walk into a store, buy it and leave. 5 minutes or less or NO SALE!

In the meantime, I'm interested in buying an X Box 360. I'm getting Gears of War for sure. What other games should I get?

I like sports games and games that don't take too long to complete. Basically easy to pick up and play. And I'm not a huge fan of online gaming.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-06, 06:36 AM

I know Call of Duty 3 just came out. But COD2 was really good and it is probably cheap now.

Also:
Condemend
Ghost recon
Fight night round 3
Old 11-18-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I know there are a few threads already because I've posted the same thing in all of them. I too prefer single player experiences. And with that note I suggest the following:

1. Condemned - Survival/Horror - 1st person melee, you play a psuedo CSI and try and sorta solve crimes
2. Dead Rising - sandbox type game set in a mall killing Zombies
3. Kameo - Zelda-ish adventure game
4. Burnout: Revenge - arcade racer
5. Tomb Raider: Legend - adventure game

as for sports games
1. Table Tennis - this is a blast, but the AI is very unforgiving and sometimes down right brutal.

All of these can be picked up pretty cheap if you don't mind used.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-18-06 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-18-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I like sports games and games that don't take too long to complete. Basically easy to pick up and play. And I'm not a huge fan of online gaming.

Thanks in advance!
Gears of War is the best 360 game, so good job on that.

Sports Games
Fight Night Round 3
Top Spin 2
NBA 2K7
NCAA 07

Others
Kameo
Tomb Raider Legend
Dead Rising
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Oblivion is the second best game on the system, and Call of Duty 2/3 are fantastic, but I didn't recommend due to your specifics. If you like racing games, Burnout Revenge, Project Gotham 3 and Test Drive Unlimited are fantastic.
Old 11-18-06, 08:29 AM
J_J

If you are getting a XBOX 360 and live near a Microcenter, this thread could save you $100 off.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=483697

JJ
Old 11-18-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
And Amazon.com will have 1,000 Cores on sale for $100 a piece on Thanksgiving (11 am PST).

I recommend Gears of War, Saint's Row, Dead Rising, Condemned, Fight Night Round 3, Call of Duty 2 (haven't played 3 yet), Splinter Cell: Double Agent (rent it, but play it.), F.E.A.R. (If you didn't play it on the PC), and Geometry Wars. Amongst others.

The online features for the Xbox360 - not just gaming online - help make the system, you'll definitely want to hook it into the internet at the very least.

Two of my friends have bought 360s in the last week, it's weird, the release of the newer game console made people go back and get the established one.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-18-06 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-18-06, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J_J
If you are getting a XBOX 360 and live near a Microcenter, this thread could save you $100 off.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=483697

JJ
Yes, that's one of the reasons I'm getting a 360.
Old 11-18-06, 11:43 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
the release of the newer game console made people go back and get the established one.
Yeah, that is the same reason I bought a 360 yesterday. I had wanted one since the 360 launch, but hearing all about the new consoles got me more in the mindset to actually go buy one. So I went out and got a 360.
Old 11-18-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Besides the obvious which you've stated, Gears Of War, games I rather enjoyed were:

-Condemned - Dark, very creepy, and looks and plays fantastic for a lot of fun

-Kameo: Elements Of Power - Especially if you liked old Rare games in the vein of Banjo Kazooie, mix some Zelda-ish kind of gameplay in here as well and you have a very impressive launch game.

-Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - One of the best tactical action games ever, and it's hella-fun online.

-Call Of Duty 2 - I don't think much needs to be said here about this game. Great single player campaign, great online play, great game.

-Call Of Duty 3 - Not as good as COD 2 in my personal opinion, but it's still a great FPS.

-Splinter Cell: Double Agent - If you're familiar with Splinter Cell, you'll love this game.

-Prey - Basic, yet fun and intriguing all the same with some very nice level design.

-Saint's Row - Could have been a piece of crap, but this was actually a GTA style game that holds its own and actually can hold us over until GTA IV!

-Tomb Raider: Legend - This game you'll probably never play again after you beat, but it was a great play through and I really enjoyed this game.

-Fight Night Round 3 - Great sports game and the best looking one out there!

One game I would definitely stay away from, is Full Auto. Just really repetitious and gets to be pretty boring, pretty quick. Its many many flaws become pretty apparant, pretty quickly.

Also, I'll just throw in my two cents about Dead Rising. Tremendous amount of fun but the game isn't worth a purchase in my opinion. There's too much hindering it with its less than satisfactory save system, the inability to just roam and do what you want if you want to try and accomplish things in the game because you're tied to the game clock. Eventually just destroying zombies gets a little old hat as well.
Old 11-18-06, 12:33 PM

check out the superman returns videogame.. it comes out next week.. its a free roam like spidey 2 and hulk ultimate destruction.. but much better then both.

Jacob
Old 11-18-06, 12:53 PM
mbs

I'm new to the 360, but the best thing I've liked so far is that you can download demos for tons of the games. So before you buy any, it is worth checking out the demo.

Maybe people without a 360 already know this, but I didn't until I got mine. It'll be a great way to decide what games I like and are worth a purchase. Of course, renting would also work.
Old 11-18-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gears of War and Oblivion are must have, Call of Duty 2 and Burnout Revenge are terrific and cheap, Call of Duty 3 and NBA 2K7 are terrific if they appeal to you.
Old 11-18-06, 04:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Yes, that's one of the reasons I'm getting a 360.
I think I've mentioned this enough to be annoying, but I weighed the pros and cons and feel that buying it at Costco is worth more than a $100 rebate.

Is there a "ducking" smilie?
Old 11-19-06, 12:54 PM

Is it a good idea to buy the Xbox 360 core system, if you can get one from amazon for $100 and then add the rest of the things it will still be cheaper than the premium system. What do you guys who own either of the systems recommend.
Old 11-19-06, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was wondering that myself?
Old 11-19-06, 05:01 PM

If you're getting the core system for $100 at amazon, personally I would just get what I need off of ebay. Hdds are currently going for $70-$80, wireless controllers $30-$40. If you need component or a vga cable, I'd shop around for a used cable, some people have had good experiences from 3rd party cables found at playasia.com which are usually less than $20 shipped, another option is to buy $199 worth of add ons at Circuit City and use the $40off coupon.

In addition, if you don't want to keep the wired controller, dump it on ebay to make $20-$30 back.
Old 11-19-06, 08:19 PM
Banned

Ok I've made my decision.

XBox 360
Gears of War
NBA 2K7
Condemned (cheap on BF)
Old 11-19-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Burnout: Revenge

The best looking and most fun racing game on the 360.
Crazy, over-the-top, arcade style racing and crashing!
Old 11-19-06, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was interested in the $100 360 on Amazon.com but looks like they won't ship to Canada.
Old 11-19-06, 09:11 PM

Don't forget to buy a warranty, you'll need it.