Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

DDD 20% off sale is on - you can now spend all your money (IT ENDS 11/23!) (PART 3)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DDD 20% off sale is on - you can now spend all your money (IT ENDS 11/23!) (PART 3)

Old 11-14-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Codes that should work (11/10 - 11/18):

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DDDCD
DD1110
DVDPRICESEARCH
LATIMES
ESPN
YAHOO
JIM
WGN
XM

Please, as always, help DVD Talk out and shop through this link! DDD DVD TALK LINK

As always, MovieExchange has created the kickass thread to help those with questions. Reproduced here.

Updated - November 5, 2006

It's getting to be that time again! If DDD holds to form, the next big 20% sale will be taking place in mid-November. In order to assist our newer members (and to avoid multiple threads starting up), I present to you the Fall 2006 edition of the unofficial Deep Discount DVD 20% off sale FAQ. If you have any questions that aren't covered in the FAQ, please post them in this thread, where they will be answered and added to the FAQ. If you'd like to help clarify anything in the FAQ, please do so.

If you want to complain about why you don't like DDD, go to the stores forum. Keep the bashing and "I had a bad experience" stuff out of this thread, please. I will be monitoring the thread closely, and I won't hesitate to report any threadcrappers / troublemakers / trolls to Pilot.

Please remember that this information is based on previous sales, and DDD can change conditions at their discretion including and up to not even having the sale.

Q What is the big deal, anyway?
A For a few years now DDD has held a major sale twice a year, usually in June and November. You get 20% off the purchase of almost every currently available DVD. With DDD's already low prices, this can turn out to be great savings.

Q "Almost every currently available"???
A Yes. Sometimes a company might request that their movies not be included in the sale. I have no idea why they'd do this, but that's what happened in the fall of 2005 when ADV Films (a major distributor of anime, as well as the Farscape DVD series) requested to not be involved in the sale, and in the June 2006 sale Media Blasters (another anime distributor) made a similar request and had their products were completely removed from the Deep Discount site for the duration of the sale, and ADV left their anime titles but pulled their Farscape Starburst editions a couple days in. Some lucky buyers managed to order pulled releases right when the sale started, and others were able to call DDD and convince an unknowing customer service rep to take a discounted order for the items. It's quite possible that ADV or Media Blasters will back out of future sales as well, so grab those films up as soon as the sale starts.

Q What about pre-orders?
A Pre-orders do not quallify for the 20% off. If the item you want is released during the sale, however, you can order it once it's officially released and get the discount.

Q Does this work with other sales that DDD is having?
A Usually other sales end before the 20% off sale starts. In the June 2006 sale, however, some sales still continued and you could take 20% off the sale price.

Q What about storage units, UMD's (PSP movies), video games, movie posters, toys or any other non DVD item on the DDD site?
A Media storage like racks & cases are included, as are UMD movies and posters. Toys and video games are not included. On a personal note, even at 20% off the posters are still overpriced. They aren't full-size movie posters, they're about a third to a quarter of the size. In many cases a quick trip to eBay or another online poster site can get you the full-size official poster for a comparable price.

Q Any other limitations?
A Yes, you can't order more than 5 of any one title in one order. DDD reserves the right to further limit quantities at their discretion.

Q So when does it start?
A No one knows. The best we can tell you is that the first sale is usually around mid-June, and the second one is usually around mid to late-November. Many times in the past, the sale has started on a Thursday afternoon. Please note that there is never a guarantee that the sale will be held, it's always speculation until officially announced.

Q How long does the sale run?
A Usually anywhere from 8 to 10 days.

Q So how will I know when the next sale starts?
A There will be a thread on the main page of the Bargains Forum. It usually goes up anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours before the sale kicks off. The announcement of the June 2006 sale was first made in the FAQ thread. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start threads asking when the sale will begin. It's considered bad form, and you will be verbally abused by many people until the thread is locked. This is a major event, so trust me when I say that you will not miss the announcement if you are a regular visitor to the forums. If DDD has your e-mail address on file, you will receive several e-mails from them during the course of the sale.

Q How do I get my 20% off?
A At the checkout screen there is a place for you to enter a checkout code. Enter your code and the 20% discount will be applied to all eligible items. The box to enter the code is on your first checkout page where you select shipping. It is directly under the 4 shipping options. Some people have said that the box does not show up for them. In that case, it is recommended that you clear your cache and try again. If that fails, try a different browser (most of these complaints come from FireFox users).

Q What is the code?
A There are several different codes, a list of them will be posted in the thread announcing the sale. You can use each code one time during the sale. Usually the codes are the same from sale to sale, sometimes a few will change as different groups sponsor the event. Here's some of the codes that have been used:

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DVDPRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN

Q Is this one of those sales where the prices are raised the night before?
A Over the last few years, that has been a hotly debated topic here at DVDTalk. In March of 06 a thread was started to track prices throughout the next few months to see if any were raised when the sale begain. The final verdict seems to be that 99% of the prices remained the same or went down. The other 1% consisted of prices that went up - sometimes only a few cents, other times high enough that you weren't saving anything from the regular price after 20% off - and some titles were changed from available to having a new release date. Some of these were planned price drops, others looked to be items DDD was witholding from the sale. There is another price tracking thread for the November sale, which you can find at the following location:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479631

Q So these are the best prices I'll get all year?
A Of course not. You can always count on great Black Friday deals, pre-Christmas sales from Amazon.com, etc. The difference is that the DDD sale is on practically everything, whereas other sales are more specific (BBC shows, TV shows on DVD from a certain studio, etc). Make sure to check around and see if you're getting the best price.

Q I checked around, and I can buy something cheaper than DDD's listed price. Can I price match and then get the 20% taken off the new price?
A No. You can either price match or get 20% off according to DDD's guidelines. However some people have reported that they were able to convince the DDD rep they dealt with to take 20% off as well. This is definitely a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation, and do not expect it to work. Also, remember that DDD will pricematch the entire price, which means they include shipping costs if you're pricematching an online site.

Q I've read that some people have had bad experiences with Deep Discount, how safe is it to order from them?
A With a company this large, doing hundreds of transactions a day (probably more, especially during big sales), there's bound to be mistakes made. 99.999999+% of the time, a quick phone call or e-mail to DDD gets the problem fixed. For every bad experience, you will find many, many accounts of positive experiences.

Q I haven't received an order confirmation, usually I have one within a few minutes!
A As it says at checkout, you get an order confirmation within 24 hours. Wait that long, maybe even 36 hours, before being concerned that your order didn't go through. Keep a list of what you ordered so that you can place the order again if necessary. If the possibility of this happening really concerns you, don't place an order at the last minute.

Q It's been 10 business days and I haven't received my order yet!
A 10 days after you placed your order or 10 days after you received a shipping notice? Remember, this is one of the busiest times for DDD. While the speed of UPS or the USPS isn't changed by it, the time it takes to process and fill your order does. So while we're all accustomed to getting an order confirmation immediately and having a shipping notice in 24-48 hours, it could take up to a week just for the warehouse to put your order together. So remember to base your expectations off of the date your order was shipped, not placed.

The closer you are to DDD's warehouse (I assume it's located at their listed address of Itasca, IL), the faster you will get your items. If you live somewhere like California or Florida, you'll probably be closer to the 10 business days if not a little longer. In cases like this, it's strongly recommended that you build up a big order and pay the extra few bucks to have it shipped priority mail. Sometimes, if you place a large enough order, DDD will automatically upgrade it to UPS 2 day shipping as it's cheaper to send that route instead of going through the USPS.

The thing to remember about media mail (which is what DDD uses for free shipping) is that it is the cheapest way to ship, and the lowest priority. My local post office explained it to me like this - all the higher priority mail (as in everything else) is loaded on the truck first. If there is still room, media mail items are added until the truck is full. Another explanation has been given that all Media Mail is saved until it can fill a truck. It's unkown if this is a regional difference or not.

Q It's been a week since I placed my order, and when I check the status everything is still "in process."
A See the above answer. This is a busy time for DDD, and although they normally have an order processed and ready to ship in a day or two, it takes longer and longer as the sale goes on and orders build up.

Q Hey, this sale is pretty good! Do they do this with their other site, DeepDiscountCD.com?
A Unfortunately they don't.

Q How about Deep Discount's Canada site?
A No.

Q Is there anything else I should know about?
A Yes.

1. If you get your items and the print-out happens to list something as shipped, but then someone at the warehouse has written next to it (or stamped) something like "not available, will ship soon," call DDD immediately. This happened to me with an order and if I hadn't called it never would have shipped as their computer had it listed as being sent to me, then someone later down the line found that it wasn't available at the moment.

2. When your order arrives, get the packing list and make sure that your entire order arrived. You should do this any time you have an order consisting of many items, but it especially applies during the sale.

Q What other resources should I take advantage of when checking on prices or things to buy?
A Your biggest resource is right here in the DVDTalk Bargains forum, where many of your fellow DVDTalkers share info. Speedy1961 posts the weekly deals to be found at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City. There are threads dedicated to people listing what they have bought so far during the sale. There's posts detailing bargains in other stores.

There's also DavisDVD.com, where you can get a detailed list of most of the new releases each week. It's not uncommon for people to go back a few months or so in the listings to see if anything snuck out to the shelves that they were unaware of.
http://www.davisdvd.com/weekly/calendar.html

Also in DVD Talk's Review DB you can search and sort by date:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list...wType=DVD+Video

And all sorts of variables:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/search.php

Other Threads:

The unofficial DDD 20% off FAQ, Fall 2006 edition what you see above, with peoples comments/other questions/etc. Thread is now closed but there's enough information there that you should be okay.
The pre-sale thread with people discussing the sale prior to it actually starting
The Official DDD Price-Watch / Audit Thread needs no explanation really..

First thread on the sale
Second thread on the sale
Old 11-14-06, 11:22 PM

So has anyone gotten them to fix the CITY OF MEN problem?
Old 11-14-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New code DVDPLANET
Old 11-14-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

2nd order:

DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? $ 9.59 1 $ 9.59
THE UNINVITED GUEST $ 7.58 1 $ 7.58 [NOT the Taye Diggs title (oops, sorry, I meant Mekhi Phifer...thanks rkndkn!); DDD incorrectly has that info for both box covers)
BEDROOM WINDOW $ 7.42 1 $ 7.42
POLICE SQUAD-COMPLETE SERIES $ 10.93 1 $ 10.93
MANIAC COP (SE) $ 13.27 1 $ 13.27
CHRISTMAS EVIL (SE) $ 13.27 1 $ 13.27

Your Total: $62.06

Last edited by novaguy200; 11-15-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my bad situation right now: I placed an order at midnight EST last night for 3 titles (King Kong, Forbidden Planet & Family Guy Vol 4) that didn't get discounted because the site was freaking out at the time and it showed the discount all the way up until the confirmation, at which point it showed that it had effectively charged me full price. I sent them an e-mail to immediately cancel that order and set about re-ordering those 3 titles once the site went back up and was running again about an hour later.

This morning, I received a response to my e-mail stating that my order had already shipped and I WAS given the 20% discount and only charged $26.26. However, the c.s. rep who responded to this had not paid attention to the content of my e-mail at all because they were referring to an order three days prior. So... I sent another e-mail asking them to cancel my specific order # (since I had received the confirmation e-mail by that time).

Tonight I received a response to the e-mail that the items are already in processing and I must refuse delivery of the package if I want a refund. So both orders are being charged to my card. [b]The big problem is:[b] I know they will more than likely combine all these items (both of the duplicate orders) into one package since they were all ordered on the same day. I will have to refuse the entire package if I want a refund, right? I can't simply take one set of DVDs out of the box for the cheaper rate and send the rest back for a refund of the higher dollar amount, can I? Something tells me I will be stuck with an set of titles for trade bait on DDD...

After about 15 previous successful orders on DDD, this is the second straight 20% off sale wherein I've had a bad experience (the last time they sent me someone else's order confirmation with my shipping info... some doctor in Maryland). They made up for it last time by giving me a 40% discount on my titles, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel anymore. This time, DDD has been absent from this thread all sale long.

Oh well, live and learn. Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't have gotten back into DVD collecting.
Old 11-14-06, 11:55 PM

First Order:
KING KONG $ 5.52
STATE OF THE UNION $ 7.54
BLACK BOOKS-2ND SERIES $ 14.98
TALES FROM THE CRYPT-5TH SEASON $ 21.41
Your Total $ 49.45
Your promotional discount is reflected in the prices above.
The promotional discount on this order was: $ 12.38
Old 11-14-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking about getting Oshii's Avalon after seeing it in someone else's order in the previous thread. Hrmmm.
Old 11-15-06, 12:00 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
From the last thread, from ctowner1 regarding Homicide:
hmmm. The pricing is pretty weird on these - after 20% off:

Seasons 1 & 2 -- $32 (16 per)
Seasons 1-5 -- $120 (24 per) (or an extra $88 for 3 seasons - $29 per)
Seasons 1-7 -- $144 (20 per) (or an extra $112 for 5 seasons - $22 per)

I'm considering maybe just 1 & 2. How do seasons 3-5 stack up vs. season 1-2?
The first set is cheaper because there were fewer episodes, thirteen over two seasons. Beginning with season three, there were a more traditional number. Quality-wise, I'd say, seasons 1-3 were some of the best things on TV (Ned Beatty's work in particular is amazing), 4-5 were also excellent, 6-7 dipped slightly but only in comparison to the others, still very good.
Old 11-15-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd order (xmas gift)

CARS (WS) $ 12.11

Helluva deal!
Old 11-15-06, 12:56 AM
Suspended

3rd Order (today's releases):

FAMILY GUY-V.04 $ 20.71
NORTHERN EXPOSURE-5TH SEASON $ 30.10

Hopefully my last order...but who knows, there may be a #4 before the sale ends...
Old 11-15-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2nd teeny order:

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ----------
1 WBD080272 DVD : LOONEY TUNES-GOLDEN COLLECT $ 36.28 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 36.28
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00 Total for this Order: $ 36.28

When I was reading through the part 2 thread, I thought someone posted that the Golden Collection would be $27.99 at Circuit City next week. Actually it's Volumes 1-3 that are $27.99.

Wheee.
Old 11-15-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by novaguy200
THE UNINVITED GUEST $ 7.58 1 $ 7.58 (NOT the Taye Diggs title; DDD incorrectly has that info for both box covers)
I ordered this, too and sure hope they check the UPC and send me the Spanish film. (I didn't even notice the wrong description, as I just looked at the picture of the DVD cover. And BTW, the other is a Mekhi Phifer film.)
Old 11-15-06, 02:13 AM

Just a small order this time around

itle Price Each Quantity Subtotal
CARS (WS) $ 12.11 1 $ 12.11
THE OMEN (WS/2006) $ 13.68 1 $ 13.68
GREEN RIVER KILLER $ 13.37 1 $ 13.37
AMERICAN HAUNTING (UR), AN $ 14.36 1 $ 14.36
SAW 2 (SE) $ 13.37 1 $ 13.37
ACCEPTED (WS) $ 17.41 1 $ 17.41
DEEP IMPACT (SCE) (WS) $ 6.27 1 $ 6.27
OVER THE HEDGE (WS) $ 13.68 1 $ 13.68
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 (2D/CE) $ 17.68 1 $ 17.68
BLACK RAIN (CE) $ 7.55 1 $ 7.55
TRANSFORMERS-THE MOVIE $ 10.52 1 $ 10.52
OLDBOY (SE) BOX SET $ 20.82 1 $ 20.82
PROPHECY $ 5.08 1 $ 5.08
PROPHECY 2 $ 5.08 1 $ 5.08
PROPHECY 3 $ 5.08 1 $ 5.08
CLICK (SE) $ 14.56 1 $ 14.56
X-MEN 3-THE LAST STAND (CE) $ 20.16 1 $ 20.16
Promotional Discount: Discount
applied
above
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: FREE
Your Total: $210.78
The promotional discount on this order was: $52.79
Old 11-15-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SAM PECKINPAH'S WESTERNS COLLECTION $ 34.52 1 $ 34.52
ACROSS THE TRACKS $ 4.79 1 $ 4.79

applied
above
Your Total: $39.31
Old 11-15-06, 03:04 AM

Code:
FAMILY GUY-V.04 	                IN PROCESS 1 $20.71
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST-3RD STARTER SET 	BACKORDER  1 $24.19
FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST-THE MOVIE(SE) 	BACKORDER  1 $14.20
LOST-2ND SEASON (EXTENDED) 	        IN PROCESS 1 $29.32
NARUTO UNCUT BOX SET 1                  IN PROCESS 1 $26.60
OLDBOY (SE) BOX SET 	                IN PROCESS 1 $20.82

Shipping: 	$0.00
Order Total: 	$135.84
Tax Charged: 	$0.00
Total Charged: 	$0.00
order #2 and final, which brings me $3.64 over my $200 budget.

for anyone in my situation, been over 24 hours now and never got a confirmation e-mail reguarding this order, but the status page looks good.
Old 11-15-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short Shipped one title

Has anyone else gotten short shipped on any titles in their order?

They short shipped the A-Team - Season 4
Old 11-15-06, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts
Title Price Each Quantity Subtotal
THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO $ 11.99 1 $ 11.99
DIVA $ 11.99 1 $ 11.99
CEMETERY MAN $ 9.59 1 $ 9.59
DANGERMOUSE-FINAL SEASONS $ 19.17 1 $ 19.17
THE BRIDE $ 4.80 1 $ 4.80
THE TINGLER $ 4.84 1 $ 4.84
SIMPSONS-7TH SEASON $ 24.91 1 $ 24.91
HEMO THE MAGNIFICENT/UNCHAINED GOD $ 8.76 1 $ 8.76
OUR MR SUN/STRANGE CASE OF THE COS $ 8.74 1 $ 8.74
4 D MAN $ 5.32 1 $ 5.32
ROCKETSHIP X-M $ 4.79 1 $ 4.79
POLICE SQUAD-COMPLETE SERIES $ 10.93 1 $ 10.93
CAPTAIN KRONOS-VAMPIRE HUNTER (WS) $ 4.82 1 $ 4.82
THE TENANT $ 4.82 1 $ 4.82
THE CRAWLING HAND $ 4.79 1 $ 4.79
CHILLING 20 MOVIE SET $ 6.46 1 $ 6.46
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (2DISC/SE) $ 15.64 1 $ 15.64
HOLLYWOOD'S LEGENDS OF HORROR COLLECTION $ 23.02 1 $ 23.02
LOONEY TUNES-GOLDEN COLLECTION 04 $ 36.28 1 $ 36.28
applied
above
Your Total: $221.66
Old 11-15-06, 05:56 AM

First order. May do one more for Homicide, a few Criterions, and some odds and ends.

1 ABD011399 DVD : DIVA $ 11.99 In-stock
1 ATL008253 DVD : PORTRAIT OF A MARRIAGE $ 20.79 In-stock
1 ATL008431 DVD : ARISTOCRATS $ 26.00 In-stock
1 ATL008458 DVD : DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET-2ND $ 41.59 In-stock
1 ATL008792 DVD : MIDSOMER MURDERS SET 7 $ 25.99 In-stock
1 ATL008814 DVD : BRIDESHEAD REVISITED $ 31.19 In-stock
1 COL007860 DVD : CURSE OF THE DEMON $ 15.31 In-stock
1 COL070619 DVD : FISHER KING, THE $ 7.59 In-stock
1 FXD032893 DVD : STORY OF RUTH $ 8.26 In-stock
1 HBD093295 DVD : NOTORIOUS BETTIE PAGE, THE $ 15.96 In-stock
1 IMA002086 DVD : MRS PARKER & THE VICIOUS CIRCLE $ 7.98 In-stock
1 KOV005082 DVD : FILM NOIR-DARK SIDE OF HOLLYWOOD $ 26.57 Avl 11/23
1 MCA028729 DVD : ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS-2 $ 22.28 In-stock
1 MGD002741 DVD : LOOK BACK IN ANGER $ 7.66 In-stock
1 PRD006630 DVD : HUD $ 4.82 In-stock
1 TWC079702 DVD : CINEMA PARADISO (LE) $ 22.28 In-stock
1 WBD039812 DVD : FILM NOIR CLASSICS COLLECTION V.01 $ 29.95 In-stock
1 WBD076124 DVD : FILM NOIR CLASSICS COLLECTION V.03 $ 29.95 In-stock
1 WBD079336 DVD : BOGIE & BACALL SIGNATURE CO $ 23.02 In-stock
1 WBD079371 DVD : MOTION PICTURE MASTERPIECES $ 29.95 In-stock
1 WBD081378 DVD : BODY HEAT (DE) $ 10.60 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 419.73
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 419.73
Old 11-15-06, 06:04 AM

Second, and final order:

ZERO WOMAN-RED HANDCUFFS IN PROCESS 1 $15.93 0 N/A N/A
CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE IN PROCESS 1 $5.32 0 N/A N/A
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON IN PROCESS 1 $4.84 0 N/A N/A
DUCKTALES V.02 IN PROCESS 1 $19.35 0 N/A N/A
FORBIDDEN PLANET (CE) IN PROCESS 1 $31.81 0 N/A N/A
JIRI BARTA-LABYRINTH OF DARKNESS BACKORDER 1 $11.95 0 ~11/24/06 N/A
Shipping: $0.00
Order Total: $89.20
Old 11-15-06, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Here's my bad situation right now: I placed an order at midnight EST last night for 3 titles (King Kong, Forbidden Planet & Family Guy Vol 4) that didn't get discounted because the site was freaking out at the time and it showed the discount all the way up until the confirmation, at which point it showed that it had effectively charged me full price. I sent them an e-mail to immediately cancel that order and set about re-ordering those 3 titles once the site went back up and was running again about an hour later.

This morning, I received a response to my e-mail stating that my order had already shipped and I WAS given the 20% discount and only charged $26.26. However, the c.s. rep who responded to this had not paid attention to the content of my e-mail at all because they were referring to an order three days prior. So... I sent another e-mail asking them to cancel my specific order # (since I had received the confirmation e-mail by that time).

Tonight I received a response to the e-mail that the items are already in processing and I must refuse delivery of the package if I want a refund. So both orders are being charged to my card. [b]The big problem is:[b] I know they will more than likely combine all these items (both of the duplicate orders) into one package since they were all ordered on the same day. I will have to refuse the entire package if I want a refund, right? I can't simply take one set of DVDs out of the box for the cheaper rate and send the rest back for a refund of the higher dollar amount, can I? Something tells me I will be stuck with an set of titles for trade bait on DDD...

After about 15 previous successful orders on DDD, this is the second straight 20% off sale wherein I've had a bad experience (the last time they sent me someone else's order confirmation with my shipping info... some doctor in Maryland). They made up for it last time by giving me a 40% discount on my titles, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel anymore. This time, DDD has been absent from this thread all sale long.

Oh well, live and learn. Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't have gotten back into DVD collecting.
i was online when your problem happened the other night...
CALL THEM! don't email, they have an 800 number and you should use it. refer them to the page of the forum if you need some kind of reference for them to read what happened to your order. their site WASN'T correctly adjusting the discount to the tuesday night preorders...i had to dump the contents of my cart, start over and use a different discount code for it to take.

i've only had 2 problems (and ordered at least a hundred times over the years with DDD). they've been SO cool on the phone, and if they don't understand what happened, you can talk them through it. they sorted out a problem with my first big order i received on monday, and to my advantage! they also immediately explained what happened and this morning my bank info is correct (yesterday it wasn't- but this is my bank's fault and not DDDs).
i always CALL dvd vendors, email messages are quite often misunderstood and you might go back and forth a couple times.

DDD is really one of the best vendors i've dealt with- and with this kind of sale and response to it, things get screwed up.

if i remeber correctly, wednesday is a big day for people who ordered the first night of the sale, so some packages should be arriving today if shipments are going out on time.

i still haven't gotten an email confirmation from my second order (from monday night), but i'm sure from the website it is IN PROCESS.

Last edited by elektrohog; 11-15-06 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 07:48 AM

This is least I've ever spent at a DDD sale. Is something wrong with me?

BEWITCHED-4TH SEASON $ 22.28 In-stock
WILL & GRACE-5TH SEASON $ 21.41 In-stock
THAT GIRL-2ND SEASON $ 19.14 In-stock
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER SET 6 $ 31.72 In-stock
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER SET 7 $ 31.72 In-stock
Old 11-15-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts
My second and last order. Went way over my budget, even after 5 months of saving, although a couple of these are gifts.

NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES/CURSE OF $ 6.52 1 $ 6.52
DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE (UNCUT) $ 5.65 1 $ 5.65
CEMETERY OF TERROR/GRAVE ROBBERS $ 6.52 1 $ 6.52
VAN NUYS BLVD/LITTLE LAURA & BIG J $ 5.65 1 $ 5.65
POM POM GIRLS/THE VAN $ 5.65 1 $ 5.65
HUSTLER SQUAD/WILD RIDERS $ 5.65 1 $ 5.65
THE HARMONISTS $ 5.08 1 $ 5.08
THE REF $ 5.08 1 $ 5.08
BORIS KARLOFF HORROR FLICKS COLLECTION $ 14.68 1 $ 14.68
RAIN (2001) $ 4.83 1 $ 4.83
THE RIVER'S EDGE $ 8.26 1 $ 8.26
VICKI $ 8.26 1 $ 8.26
THE ULTIMATE FLINT COLLECTION $ 11.71 1 $ 11.71
I DRINK YOUR BLOOD $ 13.27 1 $ 13.27
THEY ALL LAUGHED $ 11.51 1 $ 11.51
THE EUROPEANS $ 9.98 1 $ 9.98
MONSTER OF LONDON CITY/MYSTERY OF $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
SUPER CHILLER BLOOD-O-RAMA $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
CRYPT OF THE VAMPIRE $ 7.96 1 $ 7.96
ATROGAN $ 11.65 1 $ 11.65
SPACE AMOEBA-(AKA YOG THE SPACE MO $ 11.64 1 $ 11.64
STATE OF THE UNION $ 7.54 1 $ 7.54
INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES COLLECTION $ 17.41 1 $ 17.41
THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT $ 5.51 1 $ 5.51
THE MASK-PLATINUM SERIES $ 5.51 1 $ 5.51
ROMA CITTA LIBERA-ROME FREE CITY $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
STORY OF A CLOISTERED NUN $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WIFE $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
DARK WATERS $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
MOVIE BAD GIRLS DOUBLE FEATURE $ 7.19 1 $ 7.19
JAMES STEWART-SIGNATURE COLLECTION $ 29.95 1 $ 29.95
THE PAUL NEWMAN COLLECTION $ 33.34 1 $ 33.34
SOPHIE SCHOLL-THE FINAL DAYS $ 14.52 1 $ 14.52
MURDER A LA MOD/MOVING FINGER $ 10.63 1 $ 10.63
BLACK REBELS/MURDER IN MISSISSIPPI $ 10.64 1 $ 10.64
CARY GRANT-SCREEN LEGEND COLLECTIO $ 17.41 1 $ 17.41
WILD THINGS (UR) $ 7.59 1 $ 7.59
MY LIFE WITHOUT ME $ 7.59 1 $ 7.59
CANDYMAN (SE) $ 7.59 1 $ 7.59
DELINQUENT DOUBLE FEATURE $ 10.64 1 $ 10.64
BIGFOOT TERROR $ 10.61 1 $ 10.61
THE BUNKER $ 4.83 1 $ 4.83
POLYESTER $ 8.39 1 $ 8.39

applied
above
Your Total: $440.10
The promotional discount on this order was: $110.23
Old 11-15-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by elektrohog
i was online when your problem happened the other night...
CALL THEM! don't email, they have an 800 number and you should use it. refer them to the page of the forum if you need some kind of reference for them to read what happened to your order. their site WASN'T correctly adjusting the discount to the tuesday night preorders...i had to dump the contents of my cart, start over and use a different discount code for it to take.

i've only had 2 problems (and ordered at least a hundred times over the years with DDD). they've been SO cool on the phone, and if they don't understand what happened, you can talk them through it. they sorted out a problem with my first big order i received on monday, and to my advantage! they also immediately explained what happened and this morning my bank info is correct (yesterday it wasn't- but this is my bank's fault and not DDDs).
i always CALL dvd vendors, email messages are quite often misunderstood and you might go back and forth a couple times.

DDD is really one of the best vendors i've dealt with- and with this kind of sale and response to it, things get screwed up.

if i remeber correctly, wednesday is a big day for people who ordered the first night of the sale, so some packages should be arriving today if shipments are going out on time.

i still haven't gotten an email confirmation from my second order (from monday night), but i'm sure from the website it is IN PROCESS.

Well, I was just about to but it seems someone must have seen my post (or it could be that I simply replied "you suck" to their last e-mail) because now they have sent me a downloadable return authorization letter to return 3 of the items (the duplicates) and it includes postage. They stated they will refund my card upon receipt of the merchandise.
Old 11-15-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD : HOMICIDE-COMPLETE SERIES $ 143.97 In-stock
DVD : LONE WOLF & CUB (6D) $ 71.98 In-stock
DVD : GREEN MILE (SE) $ 11.84 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 227.79

I may go back for more tomorrow
Old 11-15-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I'm thinking about getting Oshii's Avalon after seeing it in someone else's order in the previous thread. Hrmmm.
Don't do it! I love love love the movie myself, but the Miramax R1 is a travesty. The only subtitles are in fact dubtitles of the English dub, which is so far removed from the actual dialogue it's not even funny. They went so far as to make up "inner monologue" for the main character when the movie is supposed to be silent (Oshii is all about mood, and they completely destroy it). All of that shows up in the subtitles when you watch it in it's correct language (Polish).

Your cheapest option is the (sadly) non-anamorphic Panorama R3 version which still looks damn good IMO. There is a great (anamorphic) 2-disc set that is pricier and now harder to find in print but is out there (has an all black slipcase).

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-15-06 at 08:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.