Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS gets full-season pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS gets full-season pickup

the text of today's press release:

NBC GOES THE WHOLE NINE YARDS IN GIVING CRITICALLY HAILED 'FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' A FULL-SEASON ORDER OF EPISODES FOR 2006-07

BURBANK – November 13, 2006 – NBC has given a full-season order for 2006-07 to its critically hailed freshman drama "Friday Night Lights" (Tuesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET), it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"We're proud to reward an authentic, poignant series like 'Friday Night Lights' with a full-season order, demonstrating our confidence in it's appeal and quality," said Reilly. "Television critics and devoted fans have supported the show with well-deserved praise for the executive producers, writers and exceptionally talented cast."

"Friday Night Lights" is averaging a 2.7 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 6.7 million viewers overall with Tuesday originals through November 5. The acclaimed drama delivered 18-49 increases from its first half-hour to its second with each of its first five Tuesday telecasts. On a special Monday, October 30 telecast, "Friday Night Lights" won its
time period among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and men 18-49.

Inspired by the book and the film "Friday Night Lights," NBC's poignant series centers on the small rural town of Dillon, Texas, where the coveted state football championship rings are held in the highest regard. Dillon's promising high school team, its star quarterback, and newly appointed head coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler, "King Kong," "Grey's
Anatomy") continually feel the mounting pressure of the town's pride and honor riding on their shoulders as soon as the Panthers' new football season kicks off.

The strong cast also includes: Scott Porter ("The Bedford Diaries") as the severely injured team captain and first-string quarterback Jason Street; Gaius Charles ("Book of Daniel") as feared running back Brian "Smash" Williams; Taylor Kitsch ("Kyle XY") as running back Tim Riggins;
Connie Britton ("The Brothers McMullen," "24") as Taylor's supportive wife, Tami; Zach Gilford ("The Last Winter") as third-string quarterback Matt Saracen, and Minka Kelly ("What I Like About You") as Lyla Garrity, Panther cheerleader and Street's girlfriend.

Also starring are: Aimee Teegarden ("Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide") as Coach Taylor's daughter, Julie; Adrianne Palicki ("South Beach") as Tyra Collette, and Jesse Plemons ("Grey's Anatomy") as Landry Clarke.

The series is executive-produced by Peter Berg (the film "Friday Night Lights," "The Rundown"), who also wrote and directed the pilot, as well as Brian Grazer ("The Da Vinci Code," "A Beautiful Mind"), Jason Katims ("Roswell"), David Nevins ("Arrested Development," "24") and Sarah Aubrey ("Bad Santa," "The Kingdom"). "Friday Night Lights" is a production of Imagine Television, NBC Universal Television Studio and Film 44.
Old 11-13-06, 03:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Awesome news
Old 11-13-06, 04:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Just made my day.
Old 11-13-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Old 11-13-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
great news. this is probably my favorite new show of the season.
Old 11-13-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
More
!

Excellent news!
Old 11-13-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Great news!! Despite NBC's cutbacks, they are actually spending money on quality shows like this and Studio 60.
Old 11-13-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, all I understood from the press release was: more Lyla
Old 11-13-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news. Glad to see that NBC is willing to stay with shows longer than other networks.
Old 11-13-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Good news. Glad to see that NBC is willing to stay with shows longer than other networks.

I think that is more of function of desparation rather than choice.
Old 11-13-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HALLELUJAH!!!

Now, they need to move it to another night and time... Idol is going to kill it.
Old 11-13-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
How soon we forget about "Kidnapped".
Old 11-13-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And more of this:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-13-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so glad to hear this. I was an extra on episode 9 and all my friends were joking with me that it wouldn't air. Now, I just have to hope my scenes wern't cut. I was a coach for the Gatling Eagles in the episode. Our team starts a fight at the beginning of the game and we have to break it up. Then they shot some sideline scenes of us as well.

Unfortunately, we were on the other side of the field away from all of the stars. I really wanted to get a picture with the hot cheerleader.
Old 11-13-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whoa, this (along with the news of What About Brian) are really surprising!!! But awesome all the same!
Old 11-14-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-14-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I'm so glad to hear this. I was an extra on episode 9 and all my friends were joking with me that it wouldn't air..

Joe, give us a reminder right before this episode airs.. we'll keep our eyes open!
Old 11-14-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very good news. I almost dropped this because everyone was saying that it wasnt going to last. I think this might attract more viewers. People don't like getting attached to characters that they know will be gone in 13 episodes.
Old 11-14-06, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kudos to NBC.

I'm super stoked that a really good show has FINALLY benefited from a loyal fanbase.

Shows like this usually get cancelled. Hopefully, this one won't get the 'Playmakers' treatment at the end of the season. Yes I know they are two COMPLETELY different shows, but the way 'Playmakers' was treated was/is still appalling to me.
Old 11-14-06, 11:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think that is more of function of desparation rather than choice.
That and eventhough the overall numbers aren't impressive, it seems to draw well in the male 18-49 demo that networks love
Old 11-14-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
That and eventhough the overall numbers aren't impressive, it seems to draw well in the male 18-49 demo that networks love

Because we like to spend money on stuff like TV series on DVD, etc

Old 11-14-06, 12:47 PM

Great news! More Lila is a good thing
Old 11-14-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great!
Old 11-14-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More good news, looks like they're moving it in January:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061114/tv_nm/lights_dc_1

"Lights" still on at NBC

By Cynthia Littleton
Tue Nov 14, 12:26 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - For "Friday Night Lights," the good news is that NBC has given the football drama a full-season pickup despite its ratings struggles.

The better news is that the network is understood to be planning to move the show from the Tuesday 8 p.m. slot, out of the line of fire when Fox's "American Idol" returns in January.

NBC on Monday confirmed it has given a full-season pickup to the show, which stars Kyle Chandler as the coach of a high-school football team in a small Texas town that revolves around the local team.

Sources say NBC is planning a significant overhaul of its primetime schedule starting in January to work around the crushing impact of "Idol's" return on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. There's been speculation that "Lights" could be headed to a Sunday berth.

In its five airings to date, "Lights" has averaged 6.7 million viewers. With that performance, the full-season pickup underscores how much faith NBC brass has in show.

"We're proud to reward an authentic, poignant series like 'Friday Night Lights' with a full-season order, demonstrating our confidence in its appeal and quality," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said.

The series is based on the book and the 2004 feature film, which was directed by Peter Berg, who is also shepherding the TV version.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 11-14-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Joe, give us a reminder right before this episode airs.. we'll keep our eyes open!
Here are some pics I took. They're not very good, but I did a hand-held self pic of me in my wardrobe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.