Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 11:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "Atlantic City" - 11/13/06

"Atlantic City"
Spoiler:
Marshall and Lily head to Atlantic City to elope.
Old 11-13-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh. Not a lot of really memorable stuff in this one.

I was really hoping they would actually go through with it, if only because backing out at the last moment is such a tired, cliched, standard sitcom thing to do.
Old 11-13-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All I remember is Robin's bridemaid's t-shirt.
Old 11-13-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
All I remember is Robin's bridemaid's t-shirt.
Same here. That was pretty much all I could focus on. I seriously thought for a second there that she was wearing a real bikini. That would have been a delightful treat.

Marshall figuring out how the game worked reminded me of Joey figuring out how Bamboozled worked on Friends.
Old 11-13-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When she left with Ted, she should have come back wearing the T-Shirt backward. It was such an obvious sight gag, I am surprised they missed it. Not to mention, the shirt would have looked funny backwards.
Old 11-13-06, 10:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
It seems like this show is real hit or miss this season, this ep was a miss.
Old 11-14-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had to rewind one part several times. Thought Lily dropped the F-bomb and the censors missed it when she said (near the beginning), "Okay would you fricking marry me already?!" She said "fricking" so fast it sounded a lot like the real deal.
Old 11-14-06, 01:36 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah that t-shirt was really memorable. I didn't think that they would go through with it because they are only in season 2. That game that Barney played to get the money was hilarious....especially when they exchanged chairs. I just read that season one will be available on dvd on November 21st and will include a video yearbook featurette.
Old 11-14-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, great Robin shirt. That and the game Barney played were pretty much the best parts of this episode.
Old 11-14-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Of course, Barney was the best part of the ep.

This weekend, I noticed the actress who plays Robin in The Rock's Walking Tall. She was in the Porsche when it had the tail-light's bashed in. First time I have ever seen her in anything.
Old 11-14-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
After a great episode last week, this one was a disappointment. I also thought that Robin's t-shirt and Barney were the best things about this episode.
Old 11-14-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Of course, Barney was the best part of the ep.

This weekend, I noticed the actress who plays Robin in The Rock's Walking Tall. She was in the Porsche when it had the tail-light's bashed in. First time I have ever seen her in anything.
Yesh, she was in a bunch of 'L Word' s last season, too.
Old 11-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who was she on the L-Word?

I have new respect for the actor that plays Ted. He was on the View (with Cobie Smulders) and he is so different in real-life compared to his Ted persona. Very sort of refined and outgoing. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the other recent castmember revelation, but he was pinging my gaydar big time. (I also noticed they kept asking about his lovelife and he used very gender-neutral pronouns.) I know many here have faulted the Ted character for being the weak link of the show, but seeing how different he is in real life gives me a new appreciation for the awkward kind of geekiness of Ted. It's actually a character and not just awkward acting.
Old 11-14-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
She was also on the shortlived show called "Veritas: The Quest".
Old 11-14-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Who was she on the L-Word?
Leigh Austin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMBRYRu9BQ
Old 11-14-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
if you've never been to atlantic city, this would probably be an ok episode.

but if you've been, this was a great episode. so many of the lines were dead-on about AC. that place is scary.
Old 11-15-06, 08:33 AM

I don't know what I'm missing about this show, but I don't get it. This was like the third episode that I watched, and I didn't relate to the characters too much. In my mind, it doesn't separate itself from any of the thousands of other wannabe Friends shows that have come and gone in the last 5 years or so.
Old 11-15-06, 09:11 AM

I also heard that Neil came out last week, anybody else hear this?
Old 11-15-06, 09:50 AM

Yeah he did. I found that news neither mind-blowing nor expected. It doesn't shock me, but I never thought about it before. Good for him I guess.

(Off topic, but did anyone ever watch that show Stark Raving Mad with Neil and Antonio Scarpati/Monk? I kind of liked it)
Old 11-15-06, 12:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought this episode was funny. The AC jokes were dead on and the game that Barney was playing was hilarious. I haven't laughed out loud at the TV like that in a long time.
Old 11-15-06, 06:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't like barney as much now that i know that actor is guy. It's now longer that funny. I may be a dumbass but i now realize that he is making fun of every single guy. How nearly every single guy acts or that part of single guys. the actor i believe hates single guys and is ripping us. I loved barney. He was a part of myself and my friends and the dumb things we say or did that he reminded me of. Now I realize i actually not being laughed with but laughed at. Normally I could careless that an actor is gay but the nature of the character barney, it puts a whole new spin on the portrayal that i never thought of when i thought the actor, neil patrick harris was straight. Barney now stands for single men act like stupid buffoons and this is what us gay men think of you.

Last edited by sabre; 11-15-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-16-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt.train
I also heard that Neil came out last week, anybody else hear this?
Almost two weeks ago.

Originally Posted by sabre
Now I realize i actually not being laughed with but laughed at. Normally I could careless that an actor is gay but the nature of the character barney, it puts a whole new spin on the portrayal that i never thought of when i thought the actor, neil patrick harris was straight. Barney now stands for single men act like stupid buffoons and this is what us gay men think of you.

Yes, because the actor is gay, the writers are making him portray everything this way. The actor was gay for a long, long time. I'd love to hear your revisionist interpretations of Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and Starship Troopers now that you're armed with this knowledge.

Yes, I am laughing at YOU!
Old 11-16-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like barney as much now that i know that actor is guy. It's now longer that funny. I may be a dumbass but i now realize that he is making fun of every single guy. How nearly every single guy acts or that part of single guys. the actor i believe hates single guys and is ripping us. I loved barney. He was a part of myself and my friends and the dumb things we say or did that he reminded me of. Now I realize i actually not being laughed with but laughed at. Normally I could careless that an actor is gay but the nature of the character barney, it puts a whole new spin on the portrayal that i never thought of when i thought the actor, neil patrick harris was straight. Barney now stands for single men act like stupid buffoons and this is what us gay men think of you.
That might be the most rediculous thing I've ever read. Because you know he's gay it's less funny? This makes no sense. You thought it was funny before, but not now.... I know pleanty of straight single guys that don't act the way barney acts. The whole character is supposed to be over the top, and thats how he plays it.
Old 11-16-06, 11:02 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I think my IQ actually dropped after reading that post.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.