Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Michael Crichton's "Next" 11/28

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 02:23 PM

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts
Michael Crichton's "Next" 11/28

Hadn't seen this mentioned yet...

http://www.michaelcrichton.com/next/index.html

New York, NY (September 12, 2006) - HarperCollins Publishers announces the publication of NEXT, the new novel by #1 bestselling author Michael Crichton. The one-day laydown is November 28th. NEXT will be published in hardcover, audio, large print and e-book formats simultaneously around the world by HarperCollins Publishers in the English language. The announced first printing is 2 million copies.

In his brilliant new blockbuster, Michael Crichton takes the reader into the realm of genetics: fast, furious and out of control. Prepare to enter a world where nothing is as it seems and a new set of possibilities is opening up at every turn. NEXT challenges your sense of what is happening, what is true and what is ethical. NEXT will overturn your assumptions of what you thought you knew. Provocative yet playful, dark and disturbing, NEXT is Michael Crichton as you've never seen him before.

NEXT will have you asking yourself:

Could your loved one be missing some body parts? Are blondes becoming extinct? Is everyone at your dinner table of the same species? It's 2006: do you know who all your children are? Do you know humans and chimpanzees differ in only 400 genes? Do you want to design your own pet? Change the stripes on the fish in your aquarium? Or sell your eggs and sperm online for thousands of dollars? Did you know one fifth of all your genes are owned by someone else? Come to think of it, could you and your family be pursued cross country just because you happen to have certain genes in your body?

This is not just the world of the future-it's the world right now! Most of the events in this book have already happened. And the rest are just around the corner.

Get used to it.

Can't wait.
Old 11-11-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed the last 2 Crichton books immensely, so I'll be picking this one up as well. For a while there it seemed like he was on autopilot, but he seems to be back in top form now.
Old 11-11-06, 09:54 PM

I'll be picking this book up without a doubt. Does anyone know of any other authors that are similar to Michael Crichton (adventure science fiction authors)? I love the unique topics he writes about.
Old 11-11-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The_Cube
I'll be picking this book up without a doubt. Does anyone know of any other authors that are similar to Michael Crichton (adventure science fiction authors)? I love the unique topics he writes about.
Neal Stephenson kind of fits into that mold. He writes what are basically historical adventure/scifi novels. Amazing reads all, but they require a lot of the reader. He often goes off on diatribes that seem completely unrelated to the plot, but make sense later on in the book.

Other than him, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. If I do, I'll post the names.
Old 11-11-06, 11:11 PM
Banned

Crichton's been off his game for years by now. His last decent book was "The Lost World" and even that didn't live up to stuff like "The Terminal Man" and "The Andromeda Strain". I didn't even bother with "State of Fear" because "Airframe", "Timeline" and "Prey" were so "meh".
Old 11-11-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can they really call it a blockbuster if it hasn't even been released? While remote, there is a chance it can bomb.
Old 11-12-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Crichton's been off his game for years by now. His last decent book was "The Lost World" and even that didn't live up to stuff like "The Terminal Man" and "The Andromeda Strain". I didn't even bother with "State of Fear" because "Airframe", "Timeline" and "Prey" were so "meh".
I thought State of Fear was leagues beyond Airframe, Timeline, and Prey. I'm excited for the new one!
Old 11-12-06, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
Neal Stephenson kind of fits into that mold. He writes what are basically historical adventure/scifi novels. Amazing reads all, but they require a lot of the reader. He often goes off on diatribes that seem completely unrelated to the plot, but make sense later on in the book.

Other than him, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. If I do, I'll post the names.
Thanks for the info on Neal Stephenson. I'll have to check out his book Snow Crash. It looks like it has an interesting premise.
Old 11-12-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I thought State of Fear was leagues beyond Airframe, Timeline, and Prey. I'm excited for the new one!
I agree. However, I did enjoy Prey. Airframe and Timeline were just terrible, but he's gotten much better since. For whatever reason Crichton seems incapable of reaching the heights he reached with The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Congo, and Jurassic Park. That's not to say his last couple books haven't been bad, they're just nowhere near as good as his classic books from the 80's and early 90's.
Old 11-12-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info on Neal Stephenson. I'll have to check out his book Snow Crash. It looks like it has an interesting premise.
Snow Crash is probably the closest Neal has come to writing a "Crichton-esque" book, so I think you'll enjoy it. It's a relatively quick read, and, considering that it was written in the early 90's before a lot of the current technology even existed, seems quite prescient now.
Old 11-12-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't call Crichton "science fiction," but James Rollins writes in a somewhat similar vein.
Old 11-12-06, 11:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Can they really call it a blockbuster if it hasn't even been released? While remote, there is a chance it can bomb.
In publishing terms, they're speaking of sales to booksellers.

And most of Michael Crichton's novels are the textbook definition of science-fiction.
Old 11-12-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
And most of Michael Crichton's novels are the textbook definition of science-fiction.
It's interesting that you say that, as I never think of his books that way. But you're right, time travel and reborn dinosaurs have to be some kind of science fiction. Of course, some of them have no speculative fiction elements. I suppose that makes him somewhat unique in publishing, as he's been able to move back and forth between speculative and non-spec fiction, and hasn't been pigeonholed as genre writers typically are.
Old 11-12-06, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by djmont
It's interesting that you say that, as I never think of his books that way. But you're right, time travel and reborn dinosaurs have to be some kind of science fiction. Of course, some of them have no speculative fiction elements. I suppose that makes him somewhat unique in publishing, as he's been able to move back and forth between speculative and non-spec fiction, and hasn't been pigeonholed as genre writers typically are.
I think you just explained why Michael Crichton might be my favorite author.
Old 11-12-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can't wait for this.

BTW I must be one of the few that liked airframe. I consider it one of faovrites by him. Prey was ok and timeline was interesting. One I cant really didnt like was disclosure it felt like a chore to just get through.
Old 11-13-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strife, I thought Airframe was superior as well. I especially enjoyed the skewering of the news magazine shows. Good stuff.

I think Crichton has only written one bad book, and that was The Lost World. He cashed in on that one -- and more power to him -- but the story just wasn't there.

I suppose his "Michael Douglas" book wasn't very good either. But I blame his brother for that one.
Old 11-14-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely picking this up as well. I always enjoy reading Crichton books.
Old 11-14-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
James Rollins was also someone that came to my mind. Though the book covers don't always indicate it (they usually play up comparisons to Clive Cussler, and make them sound like straight-forward action), all of his books have heavy sci-fi elements to them.

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (together and sometimes individually) can fit the bill too. "Relic" and "Reliquary" are extremely "Crichtonesque", as are others like "Mount Dragon", "Thunderhead", "Ice Limit", "Brimstone", "Cabinet of Curiousities". Solo work like Child's "Utopia" and Preston's "Tyranosaur Canyon" fit the bill too.

I've only read 2 of his books, but those 2 by Jeff Long also are similar. "The Descent" (which I highly recommend) and "Year Zero" (which I was disappointed in, though some seem to have liked it).

Crichton's been up and down for me, but even at his silliest (like "Prey" or "Congo") the pages turn fast and I don't regret the purchase. Haven't read "State of Fear" yet, probably because the subject matter seemed very unappealing to me though I'm sure I'll eventually give it a shot.
Old 11-15-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought Airframe was fantastic. I've been reading Crichton since I was a teenager and some books I haven't read since.

I'd rank his books this way, roughly:

Jurassic Park
Sphere
Airframe / Disclosure / The Lost World
Congo / Andromeda Strain / Travels
State of Fear
Prey / Terminal Man
Terminal Man
Timeline
Eaters of the Dead
Old 11-17-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had no idea this was coming out. Thanks, Geofferson!
Old 11-17-06, 04:11 PM

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardW
I had no idea this was coming out. Thanks, Geofferson!
Last weekend, I was at the mall and walked past B. Dalton where they had a stand out front promoting its release. Had I not seen that, I'd have no idea about it either.
Old 11-18-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Sounds good. I enjoy Michael Crichton immensely. I am also one of the few that enjoyed Airframe quite a bit. although I think his last few efforts have been mediocre. I liked Timeline but thought it could have been so much better, only made it about 3/4 of the way through Prey, and never even got around to State of Fear. but I'm always up for his "Next" book.

I'd rank his books as such (those that I've read):
Jurassic Park - by far his best, most imaginative work.
Airframe - I enjoyed the subtle down to earth storyline.
Lost world - A cash in but still a very enjoyable read that's a great followup to JP.
Timeline - Not bad but I was hoping for more.
The Great Train Robbery - Clever detour from his usual fare.
Congo - Not terribly great but not his worst effort.
A Case of Need - No flow, I had a hard time following the story...too convoluted, IMO.
Rising Sun - Didn't like it one bit had no interest in the story.
Old 11-18-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
James Rollins was also someone that came to my mind. Though the book covers don't always indicate it (they usually play up comparisons to Clive Cussler, and make them sound like straight-forward action), all of his books have heavy sci-fi elements to them.

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (together and sometimes individually) can fit the bill too. "Relic" and "Reliquary" are extremely "Crichtonesque", as are others like "Mount Dragon", "Thunderhead", "Ice Limit", "Brimstone", "Cabinet of Curiousities". Solo work like Child's "Utopia" and Preston's "Tyranosaur Canyon" fit the bill too.
Second that recommendation - I find Preston and Child to have that similar mix of science fact and believeable fiction (Mount Dragon being the closest to a Cricton novel)

I had no idea this book was coming out until I clicked on this thread, but I'll be picking it up for sure. Cricton's recent books aren't as great as the stuff he wrote 15 years ago, but I've enjoyed them nonetheless. Prey was probably the weakest, but Timeline and State of Fear were pretty compelling (despite a fairly weak ending to State of Fear).
Old 12-01-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished Next. Good stuff. Entertaining, fast-paced and the characters are a hoot. (Now I gotta work on my review.)

Anyone else read it yet?
Old 12-01-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't you and I have this conversation about the last Crichton, too?

We're in the same boat, supposed to be working on our reviews.

It wasn't bad - better than State of Fear, but nowhere near his heights. An interesting approach to the narrative structure, but by the end the deus ex machina machine was smoking a lot from overwork.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.