Another 360 "second game to get" ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-11-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Hello Gang

Well the wife said whatever I want (providing I sell the XBox) but with some $$$ limits. I sort of asked about the GoW or COD3 choice and for now I'll be hard pressed to pass GoW even though more or on COD3 for on-line. maybe in a couple of weeks till I get use to this plus I I need to finish some home projects.

So I'm trying to get a "second" game without breaking the bank like a earlier game or used one. Considering I like the FPS style I thought something like:

Dead Rising used - avg. $35- $40 - Oh the thought of hacking and slashing endless zombies has to be fun.

Far Cry Instints - Predator - $35 - $40 - I've never played this but it gets high marks plus it's two games in one.

Ghost Recon AW - avg. $30 - $35 - A good all around "starter" game.

COD2 - avg. $35 -$39 - I hate to get this if I'm getting COD3 later even though it's pretty good.

Any thoughts on these or others? I plan on keeping a few of the older XBox games like Halo 2 which I haven't even played. Got it for on-line play and Domm3. I'm really going to miss my Unreal Tournament game though. Of all the ones not 360 compatable that has to be the one! Yikes!!!

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Old 11-11-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead rising is great so is Ghost recon, my favorite game so far is Gears of War, Call of Duty 2 is very fun onlne, but COD3 is out now, but get cod2 if you want to save money, still tons of people playing it online
Old 11-11-06, 12:28 PM

Do you have a Gamerush near you? They're selling brand new copies of Far Cry for $20. In fact, I think Gamerush has a pretty good selection of budget 360 titles, but that also varies between locations.
Old 11-11-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
It's not on you list, but Condemned. It is first person, but not so much a shooter, more of a first person melee game. Sounds odd, but it works. It won't break the bank, it is a killer game, great story, graphics, difficulty and plenty to do for achievements. It is short enough (10 hrs) to allow you to play through multiple times. It is also very moody, possibly the scariest/freakiest game I've played, and is a must if you have 5.1. This game makes the best out of surround sound out of ANY game I've played. It is something to behold, playing at night in the dark. There isn't an experience like it out there.

My second choice would be Dead Rising. Great game, another great use of achievements and tons of replay value. Don't let the "save game" detractors get to you. Once you figure out and get the hang of the save system it really is a non-issue. Also it is something to break the monotany of just playing shooters.
Old 11-11-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's not on you list, but Condemned. It is first person, but not so much a shooter, more of a first person melee game. Sounds odd, but it works. It won't break the bank, it is a killer game, great story, graphics, difficulty and plenty to do for achievements. It is short enough (10 hrs) to allow you to play through multiple times. It is also very moody, possibly the scariest/freakiest game I've played, and is a must if you have 5.1. This game makes the best out of surround sound out of ANY game I've played. It is something to behold, playing at night in the dark. There isn't an experience like it out there.

My second choice would be Dead Rising. Great game, another great use of achievements and tons of replay value. Don't let the "save game" detractors get to you. Once you figure out and get the hang of the save system it really is a non-issue. Also it is something to break the monotany of just playing shooters.
I have to agree with Condemned. That was the first game I played on the 360 all the way through and it was worth every minute. I would wait till all the kids were in bed, turn out the lights and have a good fright. That game is very eerie and very well done. It is melee and it is better that way.

Dead Rising is fun, but the save system is too frustrating sometimes and you really have to play through this game entirely like 3 or 4 times just to get all the achievements done and to fell satisfied. I plan on going back to it one day since I love the concept and the zombies, but I would not get this one.

You like shooters, Perfect Dark Zero is not perfect, but it is tons of fun and it is a great game for the price.

Another game to consider is Oblivion. It can be played in both 3rd or 1st person and I find myself switching between the two views. I am not a big RPG guy, but Oblivion is an amazing game. I have like 120 hours right now and still not done. You could play this game 500 hours and still have quests to complete, the world is that huge and it is so much fun.

COD2 is a great game and there are still lots of people on it. Now, COD3 is prolly just gonna be even more shooter goodness, but you could always get COD2 and get your 1000 points and then get COD3 later.

One last thing, gameznflix.com isn't as fast as gamefly, but they are only like $13 a month for two games at a time. If you like a lot of variety, why not take that small amount of money and get a lot of games to choose from. My tastes vary a lot, right now I am trying to get the last 5 wild points I need to complete Open Season. With games having gone up to $60 a piece this gen I doubt I will buy as much as I did last gen.
Old 11-11-06, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say avoid Far Cry Instincts. It is purely mediocre, especially compared to the PC original. If you played Far Cry on the PC, you will be greatly disappointed in the halfassed console version.

The other games mentioned are all great though. Condemned is awesome and is very tense/spooky/atmospheric, and every time I chop down a door with a fireaxe, I can't help but think "Heeere's Johnny!"
Old 11-11-06, 05:15 PM

COD2 is going to be $20 on black friday at best buy.
Old 11-11-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Well I finally bit the bullet and got a 360 today and they still had COD and GoW so I choose GoW. I got the $20 gift card plus I already have a $10 to add. So I may still get COD3 but it may be hard to pass the new "rastling" game coming out next week. I really missed the PS2 versions for they were a hoot to play and from the footage I've seen this may be the best for both Xboxes period. For now GoW should be entertaining though I'll keep my eye's open for others.

Kenny J.
Old 11-15-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I highly recommend Condemned. You can get pretty good deals on it if you look around and is one of the best single-player FPS experiences I've had in a very long time. Frightening.
Old 11-15-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you have Gears of War, and want a cheap, good, online type game, I'd look into Chrome Hounds, or Moto GP 06.

Dead Rising is a very good game, but after i beat the pants off of it, I really don't see myself playing it again.